PDA

View Full Version : weight of poly vs. synthetic gut/nylon

abenguyen
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
so i've been swinging my radicals around. same specs same amount of lead in the same spot. the one with full poly polar at 58 lbs seems to swing lighter than the prince tourney nylon M's/PSGD X's hybrid that I have. I thought poly was heavier than synthetic/nylon?

federer envies me
08-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I think it is something else beside your strings. I not sure but i think the weight diffrence beside poly and s gut is very small. I dont think you should feel it.

Fedace
08-20-2007, 06:35 PM
so i've been swinging my radicals around. same specs same amount of lead in the same spot. the one with full poly polar at 58 lbs seems to swing lighter than the prince tourney nylon M's/PSGD X's hybrid that I have. I thought poly was heavier than synthetic/nylon?

I was wondering this myself. If you have a weighing machine or your stringer have one, you can weigh the strings and see, you will have to take it out of the packaging though. be careful, Polys will spring into a big mess. I also wondered what the diff is in weights, with diff polys as well.

tbini87
08-20-2007, 07:00 PM
are they the same gauge? my only guess is that a bigger gauge may make it swing slower.

abenguyen
08-20-2007, 09:12 PM
i have 17 gauge poly polar in one radical. and then 15L gauge nylon with 16 gauge PSGD. plus the poly polar is strung at 58 lbs and then the syn gut/nylons is 62/20

steve s
08-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Unless you had the racquets matched, when you purchase them, they will not be exactly the same.

diredesire
08-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Assuming you have similarly specced racquets with NO lead, you can draw your own obvious conclusions. However, each manufacturer has mfg tolerances, and your racquets may be well off from each other in balance point, static weight, and/or swing weight straight from the factory!

You increase your chances of this type of thing if you buy racquets at different times in the racquets lifetime.

There is also the classic swing weight vs static weight, which is the likely culprit in this area.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, but I think those key phrases will get you a ton of good search hits. I gotta run to lunch!

NoBadMojo
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Poly strings do add several swingweight points to a stringjob over a regular synthetic stringjob. It's not much static weight at all, but something about how the little weight distributed over the stringbed does make the racquet swing heavier for those who are sensitive to such things. They customarily figure 4-5 swingweight points

In your case, since I dont think you compared the frames unstrung first, it is also very likely that your racquets also spec differently

abenguyen
08-21-2007, 01:18 PM
thanks diredesire and nobadmojo. it could also be that the one strung with full poly polar is austria made while the other is china made. plus my lead might not be even with both. i know i have the same amount at 3 and 9 on both racquets, but one may have more lead in the handle and heavier original grip, etc.

kirbster123
08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
A thicker gauge syn gut should weigh more than a thinner poly.

abenguyen
08-21-2007, 08:10 PM
A thicker gauge syn gut should weigh more than a thinner poly.

thanks kirbster