PDA

View Full Version : Are my strings dead?

slicefox
08-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I have this Wilson racquet with some unknown strings (got it as a gift so I don't know). I've been playing with the same thing for about 3 years, and I don't know If I need to be getting new strings or not. When I try do some of the spins, the strings tend to warp and bend out of the pattern, so I just move them back with my hand. Is it time to get some new strings? How close are those to being dead? And, how do I test to see if strings are still good (tension etc.) ?

Thanks.

bank5
08-20-2007, 05:23 PM
If you play at least once a week and are a 3.0 or above, I'd probably replace them. If you just play every once in a while for fun, they're probably not worth replacing.

federer envies me
08-20-2007, 05:26 PM
your strings are probably dead. if you have had them for more than 2 months and play frequently you strings will be dead.

tbini87
08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
3 years?? they are definitely dead! that doesn't mean that you can't still use them, it just means lots of tension has been lost and playability is probably horrible. but restringing would only help!

brayman9
08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
three years is a long time my dad plays ocasionaly and his strings died in 6 months so 3 years is definetly time

Steve Huff
08-20-2007, 07:20 PM
They have lost their elasticity. Not only do they move a lot, they will eventually hurt your arm (if you play enough).

slicefox
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm about level 4.5. I used to play lots last year (almost every day) for about 3 months and then I stopped because I didn't have anyone to play with anymore. I started getting into it again now though.

The thing I'm worried about right now is that if I get new strings that would mess up my style. I'm used to it hitting this way (not very far) and I'm worried that if I switch to new strings I will over hit all the time. Is that a problem with replacing strings?

shintan17
08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
It's weird. If you were a 4.5 player, I don't think you would ask the question like that. Of course, the string is dead in 3 years. Most people play at 4.5 usually break or change the string every two weeks or a month, probably depending on what kind of string you use.

I am around 3.5-4.0 and I usually break my string every two weeks if I play a lot like 3-4 times a week for a few hours, if not, still probably only lasts about a month.

slicefox
08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Man, you guys serious? You probably use crappy strings or something... I hit balls as hard as I can and I've never seen strings broken. I'm seriously a 4.5; I can curve serves, and do consistent slices and top spins. I don't know what you're talking about broken strings.... never seen it happen.

texastornado
08-20-2007, 08:38 PM
isn't there some rule of thumb that number of times played per week = number of restrung per year?

You might be using a tournament nylon though, I pulled out my 12y/o prestrung $15 off the shelf racket a couple days ago and I was still able to hit "as hard as I can" with topspin and slice while curving serves. course the only reason i whipped that baby out was cause i usually break multi's and syn gut's every 1-2wks in my regular rackets.

back to your original question, string movement doesn't necessarily denote the end of your strings lifespan. My strings usually stop moving after the first hour or two from the notches I put in them. The only real way to tell is if you experience a drop in playability. Are your shots starting to sail long or eat the net frequently? Are you having to adjust your stroke to compensate for your strings? If so your strings may have lost tension or elasticity and may need to be changed.

I agree with shintan though, most 4.5 players can probably tell when their strings need to be changed. The amount of time inbetween their restringings will probably vary depending on their playing style though. (I know a few 4.5s who have a flatter stroke who don't restring nearly as often as I do and I think I'm a weak 4.0)

cukoo
08-20-2007, 08:40 PM
I have this Wilson racquet with some unknown strings (got it as a gift so I don't know). I've been playing with the same thing for about 3 years

Been playing with "this Wilson racquet" with "unknown strings" that havent broken for 3 years doesnt really make your previous post believible...

You probably use crappy strings or something
LOL, nice

texastornado
08-20-2007, 08:48 PM
my bad on the previous post, my mains do move, my crosses stop moving after they notch the mains, most of the time anyway

federer envies me
08-21-2007, 05:22 AM
no offense slicefox, but you know nothing about strings/stringing

Nuke
08-21-2007, 05:35 AM
slicefox, my mind is boggled by the ideas that you're a 4.5 player and hit the ball as hard as you can, yet you have never broken a string and have no idea that three-year-old strings are dead. Wow.

Clintspin
08-21-2007, 05:40 AM
SliceFox you are obviously having fun messing with us.

TheShaun
08-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Man, you guys serious? You probably use crappy strings or something... I hit balls as hard as I can and I've never seen strings broken. I'm seriously a 4.5; I can curve serves, and do consistent slices and top spins. I don't know what you're talking about broken strings.... never seen it happen.

lol.........

lethalfang
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM

1) You're either making up a new moniker and playing joke on this board, or
2) You've no clue about tennis.

I've no idea which one.

Loco4Tennis
08-21-2007, 02:49 PM
to everyone here, when was the last time you came across a 4.5 player that did not know exactly what kind of racquet he/she is using, and slicefox even said he played with it for 3 years
i know hs girls 3.0 that know the grip size on their babolats
this dudes just playin!!!

slicefox
08-21-2007, 04:40 PM
no offense slicefox, but you know nothing about strings/stringing

no chit, that's why I'm here! :p :p :p

slicefox
08-21-2007, 04:47 PM
1) You're either making up a new moniker and playing joke on this board, or
2) You've no clue about tennis.

I've no idea which one.

Dude, nobody has ever taught me anything about tennis. I've never had a tennis lesson in my life. The way I learned was just practicing by hitting against the wall, and experimenting a lot, learning from my mistakes. Just because I can't tell grip size from a mile away doesn't mean I don't know how to play.

Here's what a 4.5 player is according to USTA:

You have developed your use of power and spin and can handle pace. You have sound footwork, can control depth of shots, and attempt to vary game plan according to your opponents. You can hit first serves with power and accuracy and place the second serve. You tend to overhit on difficult shots. Aggressive net play is common in doubles.

Tell me what part in that description you think I can't do.

gjoc
08-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Dude, nobody has ever taught me anything about tennis. I've never had a tennis lesson in my life. The way I learned was just practicing by hitting against the wall, and experimenting a lot, learning from my mistakes. Just because I can't tell grip size from a mile away doesn't mean I don't know how to play.

Here's what a 4.5 player is according to USTA:

Tell me what part in that description you think I can't do.

Dude, I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, and no offense intended here, but you’re probably a 3.0, if not a 2.5.

The “characteristics” that USTA publishes are very confusing and disingenuous, imo, because they cause just this type of gross misunderstanding.

Your correct “rating” is simply a handicap number, if you want to call it that (kind of like in golf), that merely indicates your ability level in terms of your ability to win matches against other rated players.

In other words, your correct rating is the same as the computer rating of someone that you play more-or-less evenly with.

A computer rating gets set from the computer comparing, at the end of each year, everyone in league play to everyone else (either directly or indirectly) in accordance with all of the match results that year in the USTA NTRP leagues and tournaments.

USTA has a booklet called the NTRP Guidebook (http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_13_12277.pdf) that you might want to read.

Here are a couple of salient points that the guidebook mentions:

Q. Can the NTRP be successful as a self-rating-only program?

A. A self-rating can be accurate. But it is important to remember that
there is no substitute for match results as a measure of playing
ability. Even when the NTRP is used as a self-rating-only program,
a tennis professional can assist players through the process. In any
competitive program, it will become obvious from match results
when players have rated themselves inaccurately.

Q. Must players qualify on all points of all preceding NTRP descriptions
before placing themselves in a particular category?

A. No. The rating categories are generalizations about skill levels. They
should place themselves in the category that most closely matches
their playing skill level. The ultimate test is in match play results.

Remember:

• The rating categories are generalizations about skill level.

• You may find that you actually play above or below the category that
best describes your skill level, depending on your competitive ability.

• Your self-rating is not meant to be static; rather it may be adjusted as
your match play demonstrates the need for reclassification.

• There is no substitute for match results as a measure of playing ability.

Play somebody in your area that has a computer rating and see how you do.

When you find somebody you play against more-or-less evenly (i.e., you don’t know for sure ahead of time who will win each time), you’ll know your correct level.

EDIT: Oh, and your strings are dead and need to be replaced.

lethalfang
08-21-2007, 05:45 PM
There's no 4.5 who hits as hard as he can, and does not break the string in 1/2 month.

lioneldude
08-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Just change the strings. Then you'll know if you are really that good or are just comfortable with dead old strings.

slicefox
08-21-2007, 08:35 PM
I just went there tonight. I got some Wilson strings for $20 that were made of nylon and they were hexagonal for extra spin. They string for free too, so that's cool. I gotta pick up my racket Friday night, and I'll tell you how that goes.
And dude, trust me. I've even let my brother hit it as hard as he could a bunch of times and it didn't break... and he can bench press 240LB so it's not weak sauce.

As for the rating, I haven't seen anyone (in real life) play better than I can. I've seen guys/gals at the highschool varsity team and they SUCK BALLS (tennis balls, that is)

lethalfang
08-21-2007, 08:55 PM
^^^
That post made it clear that you've been joking this entire thread. Good job. It took me a while to recognize that.

Owfred
08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
I just went there tonight. I got some Wilson strings for $20 that were made of nylon and they were hexagonal for extra spin. They string for free too, so that's cool. I gotta pick up my racket Friday night, and I'll tell you how that goes.
And dude, trust me. I've even let my brother hit it as hard as he could a bunch of times and it didn't break... and he can bench press 240LB so it's not weak sauce.

As for the rating, I haven't seen anyone (in real life) play better than I can. I've seen guys/gals at the highschool varsity team and they SUCK BALLS (tennis balls, that is)

I hope that you did not go to a general sporting goods store to have your racquet restrung. They generally do not do a good job (personal experience). I broke a set within the first week after a string job.

Im afraid that your self-rating is based on the fact that the amount of proficient tennis players in your area is relatively low. A 4.5 level is really high for most people, including people who have been playing for several years. A 4.5 player will surely break strings since the spin and technique required for the strokes will wear down the strings. Strings are not broken by power alone, but by the topspin you use when playing. If you feel that you are the best at your HS, it may be you are from a less skilled school, much like I was when I was in HS. Check out this thread to see how hard it really is to get to 4.5: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=151450&page=2 .

If no one is challenging you or no one is your level, consider joining a 4.5 league and see how you fare.

Nuke
08-22-2007, 03:45 AM
I just went there tonight. I got some Wilson strings for $20 . . . They string for free too
slicefox, you are very funny. Are we to suppose this is the first time you've ever had a racquet strung? My troll alarm is going nuts on this thread.

origmarm
08-22-2007, 03:49 AM
This thread
Clearly a joke
Nuff said

nickb
08-22-2007, 09:44 AM

LOL....you will be top 10 in the world with new strings :D

sruckauf
08-22-2007, 09:48 AM
This thread
Clearly a joke
Nuff said

Indeed. Troll city. No other explanation, other than blind inexperience and self evaluation.

slicefox
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
This thread
Clearly a joke
Nuff said

Dude, you're a joke. Enough said.

slicefox
08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
LOL....you will be top 10 in the world with new strings :D

Why don't you come out here to Seattle and I'll smash you with some slices.:p

arnz
08-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Did you buy a semi Western grip along with the new strings?

slicefox
08-22-2007, 04:18 PM
no, my hands are fine.

cukoo
08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
If slicefox thinks hes a 4.5 in his world then let him believe it.

lethalfang
08-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Did you buy a semi Western grip along with the new strings?

Why would you buy the semi-western grip, when you can buy the FULL western grip?

slicefox
08-22-2007, 05:43 PM
If slicefox thinks hes a 4.5 in his world then let him believe it.

Tell me what a 4.5 is in your word and then I'll reconsider. USTA descriptions are a little vague and so I chose the one that most accurately describes my playing style.

slicefox
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Why would you buy the semi-western grip, when you can buy the FULL western grip?

WTF is a western grip?

slicefox
08-22-2007, 05:50 PM
oh nevermind... I already use the Western tennis grip. You're hilarious, you know that?

lethalfang
08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
oh nevermind... I already use the Western tennis grip. You're hilarious, you know that?

Which one?
Most grips now are Eastern grips, because they're all made in China.

damasta55
08-22-2007, 10:48 PM
don't make fun of the op.... the strings are probably dead, but that does not mean it's not playable.

lethalfang
08-22-2007, 11:26 PM
^^^

Can't you see the OP is making fun of everyone else in this thread?

Ljubicic for number1
08-23-2007, 12:18 AM

PURE GOLD:p :D :o

slicefox
08-23-2007, 03:06 PM
^^^

Can't you see the OP is making fun of everyone else in this thread?

Maybe if they had Down's Syndrome they WOULD see that I'm making fun of everyone... otherwise, no.

nickb
08-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Care to explain how you would "smash" me with your slices?

XxduckxX
08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
id be careful i think his slices have top spin on then >_<

Gmedlo
08-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Seattle High schools suck at tennis. Go to Kentwood and you'll get your *** handed to you by a 5.0+ 15 year old.

AmericanTemplar
08-23-2007, 04:00 PM

Were you by any chance the kid hitting on the wall in the movie "Gummo?"

slicefox
08-23-2007, 05:01 PM
id be careful i think his slices have top spin on then >_<

top spin is for pussies. (that's not a bad word, they let that on the radio)
all the tennis coaches teach their students to do topspin and nothing else. they don't harness the power of the slice. My slices also have a little side spin, so they bounce off to the side when they hit the ground.

topspin = bad
slice = good
topspin + slice = best

slicefox
08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Seattle High schools suck at tennis. Go to Kentwood and you'll get your *** handed to you by a 5.0+ 15 year old.

I live in Bellevue (9 miles away) and I go to bellevue high. My school won state in football 5 times in a row.

slicefox
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Care to explain how you would "smash" me with your slices?

no, but I can explain to you what a joke is.

Gmedlo
08-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I live in Bellevue (9 miles away) and I go to bellevue high. My school won state in football 5 times in a row.

Bellevue High didn't even have any kids get to districts in 3A :p . I guaruntee you that no one on your school's team is above 3.5.

The fact that you hit your slice with sidespin proves that you couldn't be above 4.0. Anyone at your claimed level would be able to hit a slice with proper form.

If you really need to know, you have sidespin on your slice because you are chopping at the ball.

lethalfang
08-23-2007, 06:20 PM
all the tennis coaches teach their students to do topspin and nothing else. they don't harness the power of the slice. My slices also have a little side spin, so they bounce off to the side when they hit the ground.

topspin = bad
slice = good
topspin + slice = best

But have you tried to hit a topspin slice with the Continental Grip? Too bad they don't make them Continental Grips anymore. All the manufacturers have moved their factories from Continental US to China, and all you have now are those lousy Eastern grips.
But I still have some old continental grips from the early 90's. I'll sell you those for $50.

XxduckxX
08-23-2007, 10:44 PM
But have you tried to hit a topspin slice with the Continental Grip? Too bad they don't make them Continental Grips anymore. All the manufacturers have moved their factories from Continental US to China, and all you have now are those lousy Eastern grips.
But I still have some old continental grips from the early 90's. I'll sell you those for $50.

DO you have any in white??

lethalfang
08-23-2007, 11:30 PM
^^
I used to have one, but I traded it for a brand new Wilson Pro Staff 85 St. Vincent.

nickb
08-24-2007, 03:05 AM

topspin = bad
slice = good
topspin + slice = best

Dont think Nadal would agree with you :)

fluffy Beaver
08-24-2007, 08:06 AM

lol this comment makes me laugh as your school only has ONE good player. If you're not that player go GTFO.

Gmedlo
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
lol this comment makes me laugh as your school only has ONE good player. If you're not that player go GTFO.

I don't go there. He was claiming he was a 4.5 because he could beat the kids at his local high school. I was pointing out one that is actually at the rating he thinks he is at.

slicefox
08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
The fact that you hit your slice with sidespin proves that you couldn't be above 4.0. Anyone at your claimed level would be able to hit a slice with proper form.

If you really need to know, you have sidespin on your slice because you are chopping at the ball.

Dude, I used to hit slices with sidespin 2 years ago when I was experimenting with it. Now I can hit them with perfect form and get them 3 inches above the net; they also bounce like 83 times inside the court so you'll never touch it if you're standing back. If i want to hit a side spin slice now, i would have to explicitly want to do it and i have to concentrate on it, otherwise they're what you call "good from".

tennispro11
08-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Who cares! Football is for pussies! :p

slicefox
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
you wouldn't say that if one of our players nailed you in the back of your face.

nickb
08-24-2007, 03:56 PM
you wouldn't say that if one of our players nailed you in the back of your face.

I would just stop posting in this thread if I were you....you are humiliating yourself. :oops:

tennispro11
08-24-2007, 03:57 PM

How do you get nailed in the back of the face? I think you can get nailed in the back of the head. Fox are you ******** by any chance? If not, I'm sorry. :-(

XxduckxX
08-24-2007, 09:15 PM
thats inappropriate

the trash talking

slicefox
08-25-2007, 05:07 PM
How do you get nailed in the back of the face? I think you can get nailed in the back of the head. Fox are you ******** by any chance? If not, I'm sorry. :-(

It's from a chuck norris joke. When you get hit in he back of the face it's like getting hit in the back of the head so hard, the fist penetrates through and hits you in the back of the face. Look who's ******** now.

gjoc
08-25-2007, 05:30 PM
LOL, Thatís actually pretty funny...

I hadnít heard that one before!

rabidcow
08-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Guys guys guys, show some restraint, there is no need to rip on this kid. Everyone calm down just acnowlege the fact he is a beginner and move on with it. Oh and by the way After the ball bounce about 6 times it normally rolls. if you can get the ball to bounce 83 times that is impressive

tennispro11
08-25-2007, 06:35 PM
It's from a chuck norris joke. When you get hit in he back of the face it's like getting hit in the back of the head so hard, the fist penetrates through and hits you in the back of the face. Look who's ******** now.

So you go from talking about football players hitting me in the back of the head, to a Chuck Norris joke. LOL!

slicefox
08-25-2007, 07:17 PM
no, but i'm saying that i know lots of football players at my school who can knock your *** out in one hit if you make fun of them.

XxduckxX
08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
Talking about

knock your *** out in one hit if you make fun of them.

seems kind of childish but then your in high school go figure

tennispro11
08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
no, but i'm saying that i know lots of football players at my school who can knock your *** out in one hit if you make fun of them.

So you know me? From where? I played football all 4 years of high school. Nice try though in trying to scare me. I am shaking in my boots! :lol:

sasuke32495
08-26-2007, 09:05 AM
you don't rank your self, the usta does

slicefox
08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
So you know me? From where? I played football all 4 years of high school. Nice try though in trying to scare me. I am shaking in my boots! :lol:

but i bet you didn't get a full scholarship from Stanford and West Point like 2 of our players did.

tennispro11
08-26-2007, 03:13 PM
but i bet you didn't get a full scholarship from Stanford and West Point like 2 of our players did.

LOL! I could care less. Got a scholarship to play tennis instead. BTW, you are really, really annoying. :-( It's sad.

pmata814
08-26-2007, 07:41 PM
This whole thread is just too funny! I couldn't stop laughing!! I loved the bit about "buying a western grip and trading it for a St. Vincent." And also the one about putting "topsin" on the "Slice." Great creativity guys. Keep it up:D

Oh Tennispro11: The quote in your signature...Is it from that pathetic-ly fun to watch movie called "Shooter"? With M. Wallberg and D. Glover?

tennispro11
08-26-2007, 09:17 PM
This whole thread is just too funny! I couldn't stop laughing!! I loved the bit about "buying a western grip and trading it for a St. Vincent." And also the one about putting "topsin" on the "Slice." Great creativity guys. Keep it up:D

Oh Tennispro11: The quote in your signature...Is it from that pathetic-ly fun to watch movie called "Shooter"? With M. Wallberg and D. Glover?

Yep that is the movie. This thread is cracking me up as well. Slicefox is really trying hard to sound pretty tough but is not succeeding at all. I about fell out of my seat when I read the buying a western grip. Funny sh*t!

slicefox
08-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Dude, the movie shooter sucked balls. It was such a wannabe movie... what a failure. If you want to see a good movie, watch The Bourne Ultimatum.

pmata814
08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Dude, the movie shooter sucked balls. It was such a wannabe movie... what a failure. If you want to see a good movie, watch The Bourne Ultimatum.

Yes it did...but it is fun to watch in a pathetic yet addicting kind of way. Can't explain why. Everything about the movie is bad...acting, storyline, logic...but it still entertained me. (of course I didn't go watch this at the movies)

Bourne Ultimatum made me dizzy...

lethalfang
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Too bad, the St. Vincent I've traded for is a fake.
How do I know it's a fake? Because the grip says "Fairway Leather," when I know for a fact that the grip Sampras actually uses is Eastern, so it should say "Eastern" rather than "Fairway."

LanEvo
08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
atleast u got a tennis racquet

slicefox
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Bourne Ultimatum made me dizzy...

The Bourne Ultimatum is the sickest movie this year. It does make you sick if you sit in the front rows at the cinema, but it's cool if you sit towards the back.