PDA

View Full Version : Prince o3 tour midplus string movement

l0isplyr
08-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I just got this racket a few weeks ago and I'm playing the best tennis I've ever had. Only thing is that the strings move around so much that after almost every point I have to take time to realign them. I was wondering if anyone out there had a similar problem and if they have found a string that stays put without sacraficing the "feel" or touch that I love so much from this racket. I have been told to use a poly string but to me it feels like playing with a metal string with absolutely no "feel".

Strings ive tried(both at 60lbs.):

Wilson Sensation 16
Gamma Fat core 16

thanks for any help.

thundaga
08-20-2007, 07:53 PM
mmm the o3 racquets tend to go through strings quicker than the average racquet. im afraid poly is ur only option for strings that stay put. have you tried a softer poly like babolat pro hurricane?

l0isplyr
08-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Nope haven't tried that string yet but at this point I'll give them as good a shot as any. At the advice of the stringer at my local pro shop I tried Gamma Fat core 16 and the very first set after my racket was strung my strings were moving all over the place. Could a softer string be the solution to my problem or should I just go back to my Dunlop 200g?

bagung
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
i have my o3 tour MP string with klip armourpro at 60lbs, the strings hardly move

Pr0DiGy
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Not sure about the Gamma string, but Wilson Sensation has a terrible reputation for moving around. Try hybrids if you don't like the feel of poly. crosses don't move much anyways, and poly mains will eliminate some movement.

Strings move more in the 03 rackets I guess becase of the extra freedom the get from the o ports.

Btw, string movement really doesn't make a difference. It shouldn't be noticeable.

l0isplyr
08-20-2007, 08:23 PM
that is a natural gut string right? maybe that is the answer. I haven't tried a natural gut string yet. how is the durability? I play 3 times a week.

l0isplyr
08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Youre right the "O-ports" are probably why the strings move so much but they are also the reason I like the racket so much. And maybe it's just my head playing tricks on me but when my strings aren't lined up all my shots feel like miss hits. So you think a natural gut on the crosses and poly on the mains? ive never tried a hybrid...

thundaga
08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
And maybe it's just my head playing tricks on me but when my strings aren't lined up all my shots feel like miss hits.

thats paranoia my friend. prob one of the reasons why i switched, i used to get so distracted by my crooked strings. i wouldn't start a point til all my strings were lined up perfectly, and if i hit a heavy slice/kicker serve i would be adjusting my strings during the point.

l0isplyr
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
what did you switch? or switch to?

bagung
08-20-2007, 10:04 PM
natural gut is durable.... especially armorpro and pacific tough gut

thundaga
08-20-2007, 11:06 PM
what did you switch? or switch to?

i was using rip control or prince syn gut duraflex (not together). i use a full set of bab pro hur tour at 59lb now. i decided to go with something more durable since i play the majority of my tennis on porous now.

esm
08-20-2007, 11:58 PM
have had on the O3 Tour MP:
prince syn gut w/ duraflex @ 57lb - not much string movement
SPPP @ 55lb - not much movement

currently:
head rip control @ 58lb - not much movement

jonolau
08-21-2007, 12:22 AM
This is one of the major banes of the O Port racquets. The size of the grommets allows for greater string movement, and even full poly strings (which are very resistant to string movement) will move out of position.

You will just have to get used to it.

PBODY99
08-21-2007, 05:41 AM
I would try a poly main \ multi crosses set up. It cut down on the string movement in my O3 Citrons.

kalic
08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I had same problem, untl I get full Tecnifibre pro red code 17. Soft and nice feel without movements (+nice look), amazing. Don't even try hybrid, it moves a lot with (my) heavy topspins.
I also like to hear sugestions for "no movement" soft string for O3 tour, because I like changes... Maybe BB Ace...

shojun25
08-22-2007, 05:56 AM
I have an O3 Tour MP too, and I think it is a great racquet. If you are thinking of switching to a co-poly, get a soft one like polyfibre TCS, SPPP, or Poly Polar. My favorite set up with the O3 Tour is SPPP Mains with PSG Crosses. It creates a softer string bed and gives great performance as well as great color scheme :p