PDA

View Full Version : Patrick McEnroe - worst commentator in the game?

anointedone
08-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Patrick McEnroe I find a terrible commentator. Is he the worst commentator in all of tennis?

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Patrick McEnroe I find a terrible commentator. Is he the worst commentator in all of tennis?

No he isn't but he is far from the best. Have you ever heard Katrina Adams on the Tennis Channel? She is horrible. She is the worst commentator ever. She comes across as an idiot too.

babolatpdtp
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I personally hate him as a commentator for many reasons. He states the most obvious and irrelevant things (like John Madden in football). He has a rather annoying voice. He thinks he knows EVERYTHING (you can hear Cliff Drysdale get annoyed with him as well). I hate his stupid "EYE DROPPER!" crap. Whenever a player makes a good shot he says "federer-like" which is completely disrespectful to the player who made the shot (he should get credit for his own shot). I think John McEnroe is WAYYYY better. He's a lot more entertaining and gives good critiques of the players.

babolatpdtp
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Ohhh tennispro11 reminded me. I think I may hate Mary Carillo the MOST.

anointedone
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
No he isn't but he is far from the best. Have you ever heard Katrina Adams on the Tennis Channel? She is horrible. She is the worst commentator ever. She comes across as an idiot too.

No I have never heard her. I mostly follow the main cable stations, and he is the worst on those for sure.

I will have to try and hear Adams commentate a match now.

quest01
08-20-2007, 08:11 PM
No i dont believe he is the worst but hes also not the best either. However i dont like it when Pmac constantly interrupts other commentators when they are talking. The best commentator in the game today is of course his brother, John McEnroe. I think some of the commentators on the Tennis Channel might not be the best maybe because of there lack of experience compared to some of the commentators on ESPN who has been doing this for years.

anointedone
08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I personally hate him as a commentator for many reasons. He states the most obvious and irrelevant things (like John Madden in football). He has a rather annoying voice. He thinks he knows EVERYTHING (you can hear Cliff Drysdale get annoyed with him as well). I hate his stupid "EYE DROPPER!" crap. Whenever a player makes a good shot he says "federer-like" which is completely disrespectful to the player who made the shot (he should get credit for his own shot). I think John McEnroe is WAYYYY better. He's a lot more entertaining and gives good critiques of the players.

Yeah he is very annoying and smug sounding. He does come across as a know-it-all type, and really full of of it. I also hate his dumb "EYE DROPPER" comments ad nauseum, they drive you up the wall after awhile. He is also incredibly biased to American players, especialy his Davis Cup homeys. His mockery of players regularly ranked 30-50ish range (excluding ones who might be involved in his Davis Cup plans) is ludricious considering he was no better then that in his own career.

anointedone
08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah I totally agree with you guys who already said John rocks as a commentator. Many times better then his dorky brother.

Rafa freak
His brother was better.

rod99
i like john and i don't mind patrick either. i agree that katrina adams is horrible, as is dick enberg. the best commentators are the guys on the tennis channel who broadcast men's tournaments from europe, such as monte carlo, rome, and hamburg. one was american, one british, and one south african. i wish i knew their names but they are the best in the game. i'm a big fan of darren cahill as well. brad gilbert and luke jensen are clowns who bring nothing to the commentary.

federer envies me
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I think patrick is one of the best comentators behind daren cahill. I also like brad gilbert

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 08:15 PM

OMFG Dude! You hit the nail right on the head. I really do hate Mary Carillo and all her mannish ways. :evil: Still I don't know if she is as bad as Katrina Adams. I have to put my sound on mute.

Bottle Rocket
08-20-2007, 08:17 PM
I think patrick is one of the best comentators behind daren cahill. I also like brad gilbert

Exactly my thoughts!

jmsx521
08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
If you were a former pro tennis player you are already a better commentator than anyone who has not played pro tennis. That formula counts for any type of sport, trade & skill out there. That person might not be as good of an eloquent speaker as (for example) that guy from NBC, but that person has professional knowledge regarding what they are talking about, and that is what educates and entices the viewer to keep watching!

anointedone
08-20-2007, 08:25 PM
If you were a former pro tennis player you are already a better commentator than anyone who has not played pro tennis. That formula counts for any type of sport, trade & skill out there. That person might not be as good of an eloquent speaker as (for example) that guy from NBC, but that person has professional knowledge regarding what they are talking about, and that is what educates and entices the viewer to keep watching!

All analyst guys though have played professional tennis. That does not make Patrick any better then any of the others. In fact Patrick and Mary Carillo are two of the least successful players to ever get high profile commentary jobs. In an article I saw Mary basically admited she lucked out and told the story how it started. Patrick of course lucks out that you know who is his older brother, otherwise no way in hell he has any of his current jobs, in the booth, or Davis Cup Captain.

The play-by-play guys like Enberg, Fowler, etc....have a different role, so the same does not apply to them neccessarily. Their job is different, not neccessarily requiring the same personal experience of playing professional tennis, and they do their job, which is different then Patrick's, better IMO then Patrick does his.

vsbabolat
08-20-2007, 08:30 PM
i like john and i don't mind patrick either. i agree that katrina adams is horrible, as is dick enberg. the best commentators are the guys on the tennis channel who broadcast men's tournaments from europe, such as monte carlo, rome, and hamburg. one was american, one british, and one south african. i wish i knew their names but they are the best in the game.

They do all of the ATP Tennis Master Series Tournaments. Their names are from the U.S. Doug Adler, from the U.K. Jason Goodall, and from South Africa Robbie koenig. I think these guys are the best announcers in tennis. They don't talk during the point, they are not overly chatty, they always stay focused on the match. Also in these ATP master Series telecast you don't have a idiot like Dick Enberg or Chris Fowler dumbing down the commentary. You have all former tennis Pro's talking to each other about the match. I find it like you are sitting in on their conversation about the match.

Fedace
08-20-2007, 08:34 PM
He is a Legend in the making. You should hear him cover up all the mistakes Cliff makes. and His match analysis rivals that of best ever.

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
They do all of the ATP Tennis Master Series Tournaments. Their names are from the U.S. Doug Adler, from the U.K. Jason Goodall, and from South Africa Robbie koenig. I think these guys are the best announcers in tennis. They don't talk during the point, they are not overly chatty, they always stay focused on the match.

Yes! Those guys are really good at what they do. I really enjoy listening to the matches they cover. They really make the people who do it for Espn sound like ******s.

koopa_troopa

I agree. I just read on wikipedia that she is 'childhood friends' with John McEnroe. Is that how she got a commentator job?

tennispro11
He is a Legend in the making. You should hear him cover up all the mistakes Cliff makes. and His match analysis rivals that of best ever.

You Cannot Be Serious?

jmsx521
08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
What kind of "different" job do you mean anointedone? They are standing right next to the PRO commentator and are commenting their views of what they see. And you obviously hear their mistakes once in a while because they are NOT pros at what they comment about.... And luckily they get corrected by the PRO commentator next to them once in a while... who, on the back of their minds are probably laughing, just like we -- the TV viewers -- do, when we hear Enberg say something stupid.

princess bossass
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Can't STAND p-mac. "That is just nasty!" My ten year-old cousins used to say that to describe something disgusting. And this was twenty years ago. J-mac is far less irritating. Dick and "Cliffy" irk the bageezus out of me too. I pretty much just like Cahill and J-mac.

phoony
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
At least he better than Brad Gilbert. Ah.....both also very annoying.

Fedace
08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
At least he better than Brad Gilbert. Ah.....both also very annoying.

Brad Gilbert's match analysis is so right on that many pros say they want to work with brad as soon as he is done with andy.

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Brad Gilbert's match analysis is so right on that many pros say they want to work with brad as soon as he is done with andy.

Yeah, Brad Gilbert definitely knows what he is talking about. For sure. I enjoy his commentating as well. Not as much as Cahill though.

phoony
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM

Everyone got their different taste of life..............;).

drake
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Best List
Jason Goodall - Always "spot on"
Robbie koenig - Just gets it.
Doug Adler - Unbiased and insightful.
John McEnroe - Genius
Patrick McEnroe - Very few know the game as much as Patrick. I'm just guessing here but my guess is he even knows more than most of the posters on TT. Are there any other Davis Cup captains here at Talk Tennis?
Brad Gilbert - Almost as good as JMac.
Cliff Drysdale - He's better now than his earlier years when he was too redundant but he's a good match with Pmac. I like how he changes with the times. He's a good sport.
Mary Jo Fernandez - She knows the game and doesn't say anything stupid.

Worst List
Mary Carillo - She was actually once pretty good in the early 80's now she rambles on at the wrong time and I don't believe she's conscious of it.
Ted Robinson - The male Carillo only worse.
Dick Enberg - As knowlegeable as he is, he's just too goofy. Time to bow out like Bud please.
Katrina Adam - What is TC thinking.
Barry MacKay - Kind of annoying with his outdated historics and makes chewing sounds during matches.

Polaris
08-20-2007, 10:40 PM
I like Pat McEnroe. He isn't the best but he is far from the worst. That would be Dick Enberg.

daddy
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
I dont listen to comentators while watching a match. Dont think I should be bombardded with what I can handle myself. I simply read the comments after the match and analyse it myself, I find this the best way to enjoy tennis.

wmrhawk
08-20-2007, 11:09 PM
PMac may be an acquired taste. I couldn't stand him years ago,but he's grown on me. I also like another TT maligned figure, M Carillo. someone disparaged her bonafides, but i've heard she has a grand slam title (w/JMac: his 1st). What I wish the networks would do: shot/stoke analysis (like yu see on golf coverage) and other instructional tips. someone like a McEnroe or Cahill or Gilbert breaking down the various forehands of Federer-- that would be GOOD TV.

SoBad
08-20-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't think he's instrinsically bad, he just has to be biased and playing to general public because of his role as Davis Cup captain and brother of JM. So I actually think he makes dumb comments on purpose as part of his job. I really like those two guys who were commentating Toronto early on, but not sure of their names. One of them sounded like his name was "Skinner" and one sounded like he had South African accent, but I am not too sure (could have been the same one).

fastdunn
08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
I like P Mac. But I think he went a bit too much of Federer fan lately.

I found it funny to see him and Drysdale went dead silent for
about 30 minutes while Federer was losing his battle against Djokovic
in the 3rd set.

edmondsm
08-20-2007, 11:39 PM
I imagine I'm not the only one that hates P McEnroe's commentary, yet despises Mary "I'm ridin' John McEnroe's coat tails all the way" Carillo.

rommil
08-20-2007, 11:51 PM
PMac is ok. He was the worst when he was the chief cheerleader/@sslicker for Andy Roddick a few years back. Jim Lampley is the worst. Remember when he did Wimby?

radon8
08-21-2007, 12:01 AM
I imagine I'm not the only one that hates P McEnroe's commentary, yet despises Mary "I'm ridin' John McEnroe's coat tails all the way" Carillo.
Hadn't known that about Carillo, but how can you not say the same about PMac? In fact, I wonder how people would feel about PMac if his last name WASN'T McEnroe?

edmondsm
08-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Hadn't known that about Carillo, but how can you not say the same about PMac? In fact, I wonder how people would feel about PMac if his last name WASN'T McEnroe?

PMac was a solid tennis pro. Carillo's only claim to fame was being John McEnroe's childhood friend and mixed doubles partner.

Pat McEnroe made the semis of the Aussie Open I believe. I don't know, maybe I'm full of it.

federerfanatic
08-21-2007, 03:21 AM
I like P Mac. But I think he went a bit too much of Federer fan lately.

Really? Is that why he falsely picked Agassi to beat Federer in the 2004 U.S Open quarters, Blake to beat Federer in the 2006 U.S Open quarters(ROTFL at that pick), Roddick to beat Federer in the 2006 U.S Open final, and Roddick to beat Federer in the 2007 Australian Open semis? If anything I would say the reverse is true sometimes, particularly when it comes to the American men.

federerfanatic
08-21-2007, 03:22 AM
PMac may be an acquired taste. I couldn't stand him years ago,but he's grown on me.

In the same way a wart or a fungus grows on someone. :p

Cfidave
08-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Pmac reminds me of a sleazy politician. Tells partial truths, trys to spin everything to his viewpoint. He is so jaded toward Roddick, nothing he says, has any credibility. This guy picks Roddick to win, regardless of who he is playing, and picks Nadal not to do well on grass, or fast surfaces. I usually have to turn the sound down when he starts up.

Craig Sheppard
08-21-2007, 06:44 AM
I agree. I just read on wikipedia that she is 'childhood friends' with John McEnroe. Is that how she got a commentator job?

That and they were grand-slam winning mixed doubles partners...she was a good player in her own right although had a very short career.

musicalmedic81
08-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Mary Carillo is the worst. She never shuts up. She's always rambling about some worthless stat during the points. I hate hearing her voice.

Pat mac is Ok with me, but he is a little biased towards his american players (mostly roddick) I admit that and Im an american and a roddick fan.

J-mac is the man I love watching matches that he calls

Brad Gilbert is a great commentator too.

Ted Robinson is a constantly smiling overly joyous moron.

Darren Cahill is the man

ktownva
08-21-2007, 07:03 AM
No, he's not the worst. He and Cliffy make a good team, esp when they bicker in the booth covering Aus Open. Cliff is getting a little old, and he still sounds like a science teacher when he describes a pro's service motion with slow motion footage. Worst is Dick Enberg, bleh.

Aeropro master
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Patricks not the worst, he's decent, Brad Gilbert was the best out of all of them.

sunflowerhx
08-21-2007, 07:21 AM
Being in the UK, haven't been exposed to Patrick McEnroe.

John McEnroe is a natural, he should commentate every big match but the BBC has to share him with the American networks.

Andrew Castle, Chris Bailey, and John Lloyd (all ex British pros) are all very good.

But I cannot stand Jimmy Conners, we had him for the Wimbledon final and after each rally he would make a "umm" sound before starting a sentence. So annoying and completely ruined the match for me.

Boris Becker is quite funny with his broken English and dry sense of humour.

Tracy Austin - good for the womens game, but looks like a shrivelled up prune. Sorry Tracy.

Craig Sheppard
08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
If Dick Enberg & Patrick McEnroe were in the booth together, who would turn off their sets or watch the match on mute? gaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Breaker
08-21-2007, 08:16 AM
If there were commentator rankings...

1. Jason Goodall - Always has interesting things to say, smooth voice and never rambles on about things not relating to the match or the players on hand, love his style.
2. Robbie Koenig - Pretty much the same as Jason, though he has to commentate with PMac-wannabe Kevin Skinner so he loses a few points.
3. Doug Adler - Can come off as a bit angry at times but is almost always correct in his assessments of players, he and Goodall make a great team.
4. Darren Cahill - Sometimes gets caught up in the randomness of PMac and the gang but for the most part is unbiased and keeps his focus on the match.

10. John McEnroe - Unfortunately always commentates with Mary Carillo, loses points on that front.

20. Luke Jenson - Interesting comments, doesn't talk too much. Has gotten much better over the years and is now enjoyable, even though his comments about Rafa at Wimby were horrible.

21. Chris Fowler - Didn't like him at first but he's necessary, moves along the commentary and is good for the casual fan, he also has improved a lot from when he first started.

22. Mary Joe Fernandez - Knows what she's talking about, can make some interesting comments and knows to keep quiet during points.

50. Cliff Drysdale - Boring...in love with Rafa, slowly slipping down into the commentators version of retirement.

200. Patrick McEnroe - When Roddick/Nadal/Blake/Federer aren't involved he can be ok, otherwise completely biased...oh wait those are the only matches he ever commentates for...

453. Barry McKay - Reminds me of John Madden...has almost nothing productive to say...ever

657. Dick Enberg - ...Eh

660. Pam Shriver - ...

1450. Ted Robinson - Where do I start...I won't, annoying.

12039495049. Mary Carillo - Incredibly biased...contradicts herself wayyyy too much, biased...annoying voice...laughs when players are hitting, terrible jokes...V.V

ledor
08-21-2007, 09:30 AM
agreed, mary carillo is the worst commentator, ever.

rommil
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I have watched a couple of Wimbledon dvds with British commentators and it was nice and relaxing. A lot of the American commentators TALK TOO MUCH.

GS
08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey, no applause for Jim Courier? He's not that annoying at all, which is a plus, since most others are.
Pat Mac is simply dumb---look at him on the sidelines during Davis Cup action---he looks clueless, which is not a plus for the team.

always_steffi
08-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Martina Navratilova was pretty good on the tennis channel a few months ago. Love Brad Gilbert and Cahill who incidently correctly predicted that djokovic was the favourite going into the masters semi final against nadal

Hate ted robinson and his annoying questions all the time. thats all he does ask questions

GS
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
My favorite blooper of all-time was years ago when Cliff Drysdale said, "Michelob---because so much is riding on your tires." And then no one corrected him, which made it so much funnier.

ferocious4hand
08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
I once heard Chang commentating for the Chinese Channel at the Shanghai Masters Cup. I believe he was a guest commentator, being Chinese is not his first language no one understood what he was talking about. He didn't understand the questions that were asked of him by the host commentators and just basically shuts-up.

I think now that he's coaching a Chinese woman and starting an academy over there he's probably more fluent but please stay away from the booth

ktownva
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
My favorite blooper of all-time was years ago when Cliff Drysdale said, "Michelob---because so much is riding on your tires." And then no one corrected him, which made it so much funnier.

That is hilarious. I've been looking for a funny quote to put in my signature, and I think that one is it.

fastdunn
08-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I like Mary. She has a great insight into this game.

For example, in 90's, when everybody was saying new racquet technology
makes players hit huge serves, she was the only one who said the baseline
game is the one which was truely revolutionized by new racquet tech and
future of tennis will be at the baseline. Look what happens now.
She sometimes offers rare insight.

Santoro071
08-21-2007, 01:33 PM
PMac isn't the best, but he's far from the worst.

GokuQ
08-21-2007, 01:46 PM
i really think he sux, but mary carillo is way worse.......

wmrhawk
08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
ok. here's my nomination: this is based on 1) absolute commentating performance and 2) relative to the high expectations one would logically have given this person's professional accomplishments. . .
. . . Jimmy Connors.
heard him in the month leading up to the french open on the tennis channel. he did some commentary on the agassi - courier final around 1992, i think it was. for as inspiring as he was as a player, he was just dreadful as a color guy. plus, i think he was paired with d. enberg (distinguished alumnus of central michigan university)

sunflowerhx
08-21-2007, 02:06 PM
I have watched a couple of Wimbledon dvds with British commentators and it was nice and relaxing. A lot of the American commentators TALK TOO MUCH.

Reminds me of a scene in Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

Grim Reaper: Shut up, you American. You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say "let me tell you something" and "I just wanna say." Well, you're dead now, so shut up.

musicalmedic81
08-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I actually like Dick Enberg, he may not know tennis that well, but he knows the big moments and when to throw in an "OH MYYYYY!!!" Love that!

dunlopfan
08-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Well Mary Carillo is definately the worlds worst commentator, but in a close second comes Katrina Adams. UGH! She always talks "ala Martina Hingis" and all that crap. I think the only players she likes are the Williams sisters, Martina Hingis, and maybe Anna Chakvetadze.

The best commentators are Pam Shriver, Mary Joe Fernandez, and Darrin Cahill. (Brad Gilbert is good whenever he does it.) I like Pam Shriver because she can usually read the players minds well and sense out injuries. Mary Joe Fernandez is good because you get the feeling that she actually knows what she's talking about and doesn' ramble on like Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams. Darrin Cahil is good because like "MJ" he gives good comments and knows about the game. Somebody needs to tell the ESPN crew that it's Tatiana Golovin, not Golovan.

dunlopfan
08-21-2007, 02:12 PM

That's why I like him. He always says things that need to be corrected. It actually makes tennis more enjoyable by having an unintentional commedian on the network.

sunflowerhx
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
For us Brits we grew up with the calming voice of Dan Maskell

http://www.btf.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A043CCEB-5EC4-4063-B61C-29B3D434C9B1/24601/DanMaskellLogoLOW.jpg

Catchphrase was "Oh, I say!" (when commenting on an outstanding shot).

Some quotes
"And here's Zivojinovic, six foot six inches tall and fourteen pounds ten ounces."
"Lendl has remained throughout as calm as the proverbial iceberg."
"The Gullikson twins here. An interesting pair, both from Wisconsin."
"When Martina is tense it helps her relax"

blakealltheway
08-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I agree with babolatpdtp that Mary Carillo may be one of the worse. McEnroe is not even close to the worse. He is very knowledgable of the game, knows strategy, and knows history. He is not the best, but he also isnt the worse.

woody88
08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
I miss fiery Fred Stolle, along with Cliff. I thought they were a great team, along with Vitas as the sidelines reporter. They were pretty good as a team.

Azzurri
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah he is very annoying and smug sounding. He does come across as a know-it-all type, and really full of of it. I also hate his dumb "EYE DROPPER" comments ad nauseum, they drive you up the wall after awhile. He is also incredibly biased to American players, especialy his Davis Cup homeys. His mockery of players regularly ranked 30-50ish range (excluding ones who might be involved in his Davis Cup plans) is ludricious considering he was no better then that in his own career.

Lately I have heard him say some remarks against Roddick...nothing bad but certainly not praise...I could be wrong.

Azzurri
08-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I like PMac....That job can be difficult and he is a student of the game. He is really smart. I don't like Carillo.

35ft6
08-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes yes yes. There are others almost maybe even just as bad, but he's working the big matches, not commentating WTT, which makes him worse.

callitout
08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
No Bud Collins is the worst. He reads from his thesaurus in preperation for his pseudo-intellectual prattle in an effort to make the viewer think they are listening to an Oxford educated man.
For excellent commentary Jason Goodall during TMS events.

PMac flaws: too much of a conflict with his DC captain duties. He has to show undue respect to Roddick and Blake.

lordmanji
08-21-2007, 05:23 PM
the reasons alot of you state are so petty and subjective down to his voice and his catchphrase. but of all the full time commentators in the espn stable, he's the best. he's quite objective - i've listened to him commentate for the past two years and he'll rag on american players as much as he'll praise them.

he's very knowledgeable, tries to be objective, tries to be humble and is always looking to explain throwaway comments by other commentators to the viewers. yes, there are times where he can sound and is condescending but he seems to be conscious of this fact and restrains it. i find him the best commentator right now and am very tired of cliff's grouchiness and meandering. i actually think pmac and fowler is an awesome combo. i wouldnt mind seeing cahill and arias more, either.

drakulie
08-21-2007, 05:24 PM

That honor goes to Mary Carillo!

To quote someone else: "I hate that man!"

jetlee2k
08-21-2007, 07:09 PM
no.. even though I voted yes b/c I do not like him.. He's just a s s kissing too much of James Black & ROddick.... but he's not the worse one.. I think Mary Carrilo is the worse ever.. She does not know what she's talking about.. she just simple suckss

Azzurri
08-27-2007, 08:14 AM
the reasons alot of you state are so petty and subjective down to his voice and his catchphrase. but of all the full time commentators in the espn stable, he's the best. he's quite objective - i've listened to him commentate for the past two years and he'll rag on american players as much as he'll praise them.

he's very knowledgeable, tries to be objective, tries to be humble and is always looking to explain throwaway comments by other commentators to the viewers. yes, there are times where he can sound and is condescending but he seems to be conscious of this fact and restrains it. i find him the best commentator right now and am very tired of cliff's grouchiness and meandering. i actually think pmac and fowler is an awesome combo. i wouldnt mind seeing cahill and arias more, either.

Couldn't agree with you more. I like PMac and think he knows his stuff. He is objective. So he loves Fed.....

jrstrat
08-27-2007, 08:38 AM

I was going to make the same comment on Drysdale. He is always correcting Drysdale's screwups. I like Patrick and think he is one of best in the business.

jrstrat
08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
That honor goes to Mary Carillo!

To quote someone else: "I hate that man!"

I remember the first time I heard Mary Carillo's voice in the late 80's/early 90announcing a match and I thought who is this feminine guy? I was shocked when I found out it was a female.

stormholloway
08-27-2007, 08:41 AM
People give the commentators so much grief around here. I think they're all doing a great job. The American style is somewhat cheesy, but the knowledge is still there. I prefer the understated British style personally.

Shosho
08-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes Pammy was a great commentator. But she should retire.
Fernandez is okay. Will do. Carillo is good if you like her style. I esp like it when her and Mac go head to head.

Patrick commentates like he's coaching Davis Cup. He's not entertaining like his bro. But he's honest.

Dick Enberg is in a class of his own. He's great! :grin:

mista-k
08-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Martina Navratilova was pretty good on the tennis channel a few months ago. Love Brad Gilbert and Cahill who incidently correctly predicted that djokovic was the favourite going into the masters semi final against nadal

Hate ted robinson and his annoying questions all the time. thats all he does ask questions

I agree! Navratilova lets you in on her strategies/analysis...thats when you realize she is has a Tennis IQ of 1000/500 + she has won so many grandslams (makes you realize how she strategizes against opponents) I thought Jim Courier (mental warrior) would dish out the same commentating but so far M.Navratilova has my vote...it amazes me...too bad I dont get to hear or see her do commentating much as watching tennis on tv bores me to sleep...oh forgot to mention I like her sense of humor...very lefty like

Brag Gilbert...eh
Cahill...not bad

I think the worst would be Jimmy Arias...always making fun of the underdog and talks AS IF he were....

Dream Commentators: (need some more humor in commentating...)
Marat Safin
Goran Ivanisevic

oh forgot...Jmac aint bad

stormholloway
08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Agreed about Ted Robinson. Too many silly questions.

Big Fed
08-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Pam Shriver sucks....

illkhiboy
08-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Best List
Jason Goodall - Always "spot on"
Robbie koenig - Just gets it.
Doug Adler - Unbiased and insightful.
John McEnroe - Genius
Patrick McEnroe - Very few know the game as much as Patrick. I'm just guessing here but my guess is he even knows more than most of the posters on TT. Are there any other Davis Cup captains here at Talk Tennis?
Brad Gilbert - Almost as good as JMac.
Cliff Drysdale - He's better now than his earlier years when he was too redundant but he's a good match with Pmac. I like how he changes with the times. He's a good sport.
Mary Jo Fernandez - She knows the game and doesn't say anything stupid.

Worst List
Mary Carillo - She was actually once pretty good in the early 80's now she rambles on at the wrong time and I don't believe she's conscious of it.
Ted Robinson - The male Carillo only worse.
Dick Enberg - As knowlegeable as he is, he's just too goofy. Time to bow out like Bud please.
Katrina Adam - What is TC thinking.
Barry MacKay - Kind of annoying with his outdated historics and makes chewing sounds during matches.

Gotta Love the DRAKE! I pretty much agree with those lists.

skip1969
08-27-2007, 11:28 AM
you know, i was gonna refrain from chiming in on the "worst commentator" debate, cos it's all so subjective anyway and for the most part i mute the tv when i am watching tennis anyway . . . but not even one day into the us open on usa and i gotta say that these two weeks make the rest of the year's tennis commentating seem like i'm lying on cool, green grass under the shade of a giant tree with rustling leaves in the peace and serenity of the garden of eden (well, before that pesky snake showed up). except for johnny mac and tracy austin, they manage to assemble the same worthless tribe of village idiots every year to cover the most important tourney on us soil:

michael barkann and his moronic interviews and his roaming the grounds like some rabid dog with a mike. the man should never have been given a microphone. ever. i'm surprised he doesn't hump the players' legs when he interviews them.

ted robinson, who seems to have learned nothing over the years. not even how to brush his hair properly. what a smiling imbecile.

bill macatee, who doesn't want to be outdone by chris fowler for champion of filling those annoying quiet moments with something utterly useless to say. so he keeps talking.

al trautwig, who has to be the most exasperating excuse for an analyst. he even sucks during the tour de france, with his rudimentary 'drama in a bottle' technique and his ingratiating, *ss-kissing style. he's like a bad b-movie. or a remake of a remake of a remake. conspicuously unoriginal in every respect.

jim courier, who is apparently allergic to dead air and sees every pregnant pause and his cue to interject another bit of trivia that we could have done without. verbal diarrhea personified.

these people make me want to take back every bad thing i've ever thought or said about the clowns at tennis channel or espn. maybe those guys aren't so bad after all?? well, except for luke jensen. and brad gilbert. and katrina adams . . . hehehe.

Bhagi Katbamna
08-27-2007, 01:13 PM
How can anyone else be the worst when Dick Enberg is still alive?

35ft6
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
People give the commentators so much grief around here. I think they're all doing a great job. The American style is somewhat cheesy, but the knowledge is still there. I prefer the understated British style personally.Me, too. And they're much more candid.

Pisolino227
08-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Oh yeah I totally agree with you guys who already said John rocks as a commentator. Many times better then his dorky brother.

amen. I can't agree enough. Someone needs to tell Pat how stupid that eye dropper line is.

sillymonkey
08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Maria Carillo is by far worse than PMac.

pmata814
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM

I agree! When she and Cliff Drysdale are put together it's unbearable!!

adamvann
08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I cannot stand that clown. That being said I have to give my honest opinion and say he is not the worst.

stalow
08-28-2007, 05:39 PM
For us Brits we grew up with the calming voice of Dan Maskell

http://www.btf.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A043CCEB-5EC4-4063-B61C-29B3D434C9B1/24601/DanMaskellLogoLOW.jpg

Catchphrase was "Oh, I say!" (when commenting on an outstanding shot).

Some quotes
"And here's Zivojinovic, six foot six inches tall and fourteen pounds ten ounces."
"Lendl has remained throughout as calm as the proverbial iceberg."
"The Gullikson twins here. An interesting pair, both from Wisconsin."
"When Martina is tense it helps her relax"

Thanks for posting those "bloopers". That's some funny stuff and it sure gave me a chuckle. :grin:

anointedone
08-28-2007, 05:49 PM
If I had down a poll including all serious candidates for "worst" in the booth, it looks like Carillo would probably win, with P-Mac maybe taking the runner up prize.

matt.jc
08-28-2007, 05:55 PM
The USO open commentators are strange. They go into conversations for the whole match and dont pay attention to the match and one of the said Djokivic's hair is like a chia pet.

jsieks
09-05-2007, 06:43 PM

Patrick's pretending to appear professorial makes one gag.:sad:

jsieks
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Patrick seems to have watched too many sports talk shows and tries to emulate them. His lack of competence with the english language betrays him

jsieks
09-05-2007, 06:52 PM

Ditto:confused:

jsieks
09-05-2007, 06:57 PM
you know, i was gonna refrain from chiming in on the "worst commentator" debate, cos it's all so subjective anyway and for the most part i mute the tv when i am watching tennis anyway . . . but not even one day into the us open on usa and i gotta say that these two weeks make the rest of the year's tennis commentating seem like i'm lying on cool, green grass under the shade of a giant tree with rustling leaves in the peace and serenity of the garden of eden (well, before that pesky snake showed up). except for johnny mac and tracy austin, they manage to assemble the same worthless tribe of village idiots every year to cover the most important tourney on us soil:

michael barkann and his moronic interviews and his roaming the grounds like some rabid dog with a mike. the man should never have been given a microphone. ever. i'm surprised he doesn't hump the players' legs when he interviews them.

ted robinson, who seems to have learned nothing over the years. not even how to brush his hair properly. what a smiling imbecile.

bill macatee, who doesn't want to be outdone by chris fowler for champion of filling those annoying quiet moments with something utterly useless to say. so he keeps talking.

al trautwig, who has to be the most exasperating excuse for an analyst. he even sucks during the tour de france, with his rudimentary 'drama in a bottle' technique and his ingratiating, *ss-kissing style. he's like a bad b-movie. or a remake of a remake of a remake. conspicuously unoriginal in every respect.

jim courier, who is apparently allergic to dead air and sees every pregnant pause and his cue to interject another bit of trivia that we could have done without. verbal diarrhea personified.

these people make me want to take back every bad thing i've ever thought or said about the clowns at tennis channel or espn. maybe those guys aren't so bad after all?? well, except for luke jensen. and brad gilbert. and katrina adams . . . hehehe.

Why does every point require a comment from all three people in the booth??