PDA

View Full Version : How to get a taxi from NTC to La Guardia?

amarone
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM
This may seem a strange question given that I have been to the US Open the last 4 years and have always managed to get a taxi, but: how do you get a taxi from the National Tennis Center to La Guardia? I feel there should be a taxit rank somewhere, but have never found one. The information booths at the Open have not been at all helpful - the best they can come up with is a limo service that costs about $50 for the 5 mile journey. Each time, I have stood on the road that goes under the subway station between the NTC and Shea Stadium until someone in a black Lincoln stops and overcharges me to go to the airport.

I don't think I have ever seen a regular Yellow Cab - do they not operate in Queens?

Is there a better way?

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
This may seem a strange question given that I have been to the US Open the last 4 years and have always managed to get a taxi, but: how do you get a taxi from the National Tennis Center to La Guardia? I feel there should be a taxit rank somewhere, but have never found one. The information booths at the Open have not been at all helpful - the best they can come up with is a limo service that costs about $50 for the 5 mile journey. Each time, I have stood on the road that goes under the subway station between the NTC and Shea Stadium until someone in a black Lincoln stops and overcharges me to go to the airport.

I don't think I have ever seen a regular Yellow Cab - do they not operate in Queens?

Is there a better way?

Idk. I just always took the black Lincolns. They didnt' seem that overpriced to me.

amarone
08-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Idk. I just always took the black Lincolns. They didnt' seem that overpriced to me. Yeah - the price isn't the main issue (although it is 2 - 3 times as much as I pay for the yellow cab from the airport to the tennis): my main concern is the unreliability - there is nowhere I can go to guarantee I can get a cab. I just have to hope that a black Lincoln will pass by cruising for custom. It's a bit unnerving when you have a flight to catch.

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah I would say so.

pj80
08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
just take a freakin bus on the main street its only $1.50, and it takes u like 5-10 min to get to the airport

Fee
08-20-2007, 09:07 PM
When you land at La Guardia look around and see if you can get the name and phone number of a taxi company in the area, then you can call when you are ready to leave the NTC. Or, get the number of the front desk for the nearest hotel (isn't there a Ramada or something nearby?) and ask them to send a taxi over to get you.

tennispro11
08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
When you land at La Guardia look around and see if you can get the name and phone number of a taxi company in the area, then you can call when you are ready to leave the NTC. Or, get the number of the front desk for the nearest hotel (isn't there a Ramada or something nearby?) and ask them to send a taxi over to get you.

That's a great idea not only for New York but any other big city you go visit. Thank you. :)

rommil
08-20-2007, 10:58 PM

Is there a better way?

Don your matching tennis outfit and grab your tennis bag and hail one of those driven Lexus cars in the compound. If you get lucky you will get to LGA for free lol.

SoBad
08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Idk. I just always took the black Lincolns. They didnt' seem that overpriced to me.

Yeah you can just tell them what you think is fair, and they'll be reasonable.