PDA

View Full Version : want more kick in a kick serve

vndesu
08-20-2007, 11:15 PM
i am trying to use a kick serve but i cant seem to get a lot of kick with it so let me list the details.

1. i am 6'1
2. i use a techifibre 320 18x20 strung with big bangers alu rough
3. i use a continental grip on the kick serve
4. my throw is good and bhind but i just cant seem to get the kick

so im wondering what kind of tips i can get bc i really wanna get this down

krprunitennis2
08-20-2007, 11:22 PM
are you brushing the ball up? I hear that it feels like throwing the racket to the heavens while making contact with the ball. but then you go over and around or pronate those stuff w/e. don't listen to that.

but I think that you're supposed to brush up.

SoBad
08-20-2007, 11:23 PM
I like your height and racquets, so I really want to help, but my kick serve is not that great. But anyways aim forward-forward-up, and direct racquet head speed for brush from 7:30 to 1:30 or so, and twist around the ball too. So that's what I think, but I bet other coaches around here will give you even better advice maybe...:)

DarkTennis
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
wrong area....should be transfered to tennis tip area

AJK1
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Make sure you hit the ball on it's downward path, this creates more spin.

Mickey Finn
08-20-2007, 11:54 PM
The Continental is not a good grip for a kick serve; you need to be more towards an Eastern backhand grip. Look at Edberg's grip. That being said, if you have a good slice, flat and ok topspin you might not want to experiment with your grip. Moving away from Continental can hamper the slice and flat serves. Anyway, this is my experience on the matter.

Marius_Hancu
08-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Yes, wrong area.

This is for Tips/Instructions. Have a look at the Sticky there, including my posting on the Kick Serve on the 1st page of this thread:

Post Links to Useful threads here
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33383

dirtballer
08-21-2007, 04:33 AM
Remember to push off with your left leg.

djones
08-21-2007, 04:54 AM
In my opinion your grip needs to be almost a backhand grip.
Important really is also to bend your back correctly and straighten it up on contact when pushing off with your legs at the exact right moment.

And make sure your swing is very loose and smooth, really throw it up in the air and use your wrist as well.

But to get all this done at the exact right moment takes some practice!

ajs72us
08-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Are you swinging as hard as you can? Also you have a dense pattern on your racquet which makes it more difficult to hit spin. :)

federer envies me
08-21-2007, 06:15 AM
The Continental is not a good grip for a kick serve; you need to be more towards an Eastern backhand grip. Look at Edberg's grip. That being said, if you have a good slice, flat and ok topspin you might not want to experiment with your grip. Moving away from Continental can hamper the slice and flat serves. Anyway, this is my experience on the matter.

not neccesrcarly. If you use an eastern backhand grip it is easier to get spin, but one you play better people they can see what grip you are using and know whats coming. Pros use continental for all serves.

Vision84
08-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Ensure you are getting that left to right motion. My coach likes to say 'making a rainbow.' I found it easier to bend my knees and throw my shoulders back to be able to get that left to right motion. A continental grip is fine for a kick serve but to get more spin moving towards an eastern backhand can aid in it.

dacrymn
08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Keep your head up. If you don't, no matter how hard you try, you're not going to get the up motion to get you that kick.

SlapShot
08-21-2007, 08:53 AM
not neccesrcarly. If you use an eastern backhand grip it is easier to get spin, but one you play better people they can see what grip you are using and know whats coming. Pros use continental for all serves.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in using the same grip for sub-4.5 level tennis. Opponents at that level will probably have a hard time keying in on your toss, much less your grip.

I use an eastern backhand grip for my kicker, and it really helps to visualize hitting the back of the ball while swiging up at it - you lose some velocity, but gain some movement.

Pisolino227
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
bend your knees a ton and spring up into the ball............get on your knees at the baseline and hit kick serves from your knees, best exercise ever for learning a kick serve period.

vndesu
08-22-2007, 09:46 PM
ive gotten more kick but i still want more
i use almost a eastern grip and it is doing good
but i think that its my follow through the sucks...
should i brush up faster or slow it down?
or is it that i pronate too much?

lostinamerica
08-22-2007, 09:52 PM
ive gotten more kick but i still want more
i use almost a eastern grip and it is doing good
but i think that its my follow through the sucks...
should i brush up faster or slow it down?
or is it that i pronate too much?

FASTER. I have an outstanding kick serve (unfortunately, my slice/flat serves suffer). The harder you hit it, the better the kick. If you are hitting it well, you should not have to concern yourself with hitting it long.

As a piece of advice from a very experienced player, do not fall in love with the kicker. The slice is a far more effective serve. The kick works well against lower level players, but the higher level players can clobber it. Due to its consistent reliability, it is a very good second serve or a change of pace serve; yet, it is no weapon once you get to 4.0 or higher.

mrcalon
08-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Ensure you are getting that left to right motion. My coach likes to say 'making a rainbow.' I found it easier to bend my knees and throw my shoulders back to be able to get that left to right motion. A continental grip is fine for a kick serve but to get more spin moving towards an eastern backhand can aid in it.

I second this! Left to right is a must to get that spin. Watch the pros - they barely open the shoulders (ie - get parallel to the net) when hitting the kick. This maximizes the right to left motion. Eastern bh also helps because it frees up the wrist for the rainbow, much like a full western grip on the forehand.

Undrayon
08-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I had a hard time getting a consistant kick, in the end all it took was throwing the ball a foot higher. Same swing, higher toss, major kick.

Gmedlo
08-23-2007, 11:13 PM
for me, it was using the same racquet head speed as my flat serve, if not faster. It took a while for me to realize that the FASTER I swung on a kick serve, the less margin for error there was (within reason). I now have a kick that I get in 95%+ of the time.

dave333
08-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Make sure you are trying to get every inch of extension. Somebody like djokovic with a great 2nd serve really tries to get up to the ball.