PDA

View Full Version : Plasma TV vs LCD TV, which one is better? Opinion please..

Ano
08-21-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi all, I'm going to buy a new television.

Problem is, I can't decide which one to buy, a Plasma or a LCD. I can't even tell the difference between them. Yes, I admit, I'm not a tech guy.

What are the pros and cons of LCD and Plasma?

Which one is better for watching a tennis match?

I welcome every opinions, including which brand is the best.

Thanks.

luke_1983uk
08-21-2007, 01:27 AM
LCD all the way mate!

the major deciding factor is screen burn which is terrible, we had a plasma and watched lots of football eventually where they show the time in the top corner of the screen got perminent, and now looks terrible, since then i bought a toshiba lcd which is faultless for anything, tennis is amazing infact everything is perfect!

checkout this site and post on there

www.avforums.com

luke_1983uk
08-21-2007, 01:28 AM
i'd definently look into the toshiba sets!

lethalfang
08-21-2007, 01:50 AM
My dad spent a lot of time deciding between the two, and decided on the LCD, so I'll go with LCD.

35ft6
08-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Depends on which TV's you're comparing. I ended up getting a 720p plasma after tons of research. 1080p is to your advantage once a screen reaches a certain size, and my 42 inch size limit just didn't require it.

As for burn in, yes, LCD's are better for that but they also suffer from burn in. I haven't had any serious problems with my plasma, but I carefully followed the rules of breaking the screen in, and avoiding static picture elements. But, still, it sucks to have to think about.

The reason I got plasma was because of the contrast ratio and the slightly diffused edges of plasma, which I prefer over the razor sharp, unnatural IMO edges of LCD. And my Panasonic Plasma looked the best on the floor and was highly rated online. For the same price of my 720p plasma, I could have gotten a true 1080p LCD, but decided against it. I prefer the rich contrast ratio and colors of plasma, personally.

I only would have gotten a 1080p LCD, I think, if I could have gotten the really good ones, but they were out of my price range. Like the Sony Bravia had the best picture of all at one of the stores I went to. Samsung is also good.

Sinner
08-21-2007, 02:58 AM
how far will you be sitting from your TV? (to determine screen size)
and what will you be using it mostly for? TV/Sports, dvds/blu-ray/hd-dvd, video games?

Ano
08-21-2007, 03:36 AM
LCD all the way mate!

the major deciding factor is screen burn which is terrible, we had a plasma and watched lots of football eventually where they show the time in the top corner of the screen got perminent, and now looks terrible, since then i bought a toshiba lcd which is faultless for anything, tennis is amazing infact everything is perfect!

checkout this site and post on there

www.avforums.com

Thanks, luke. I'll take a look at that forum.

My dad spent a lot of time deciding between the two, and decided on the LCD, so I'll go with LCD.

Thanks.

Depends on which TV's you're comparing. I ended up getting a 720p plasma after tons of research. 1080p is to your advantage once a screen reaches a certain size, and my 42 inch size limit just didn't require it.

As for burn in, yes, LCD's are better for that but they also suffer from burn in. I haven't had any serious problems with my plasma, but I carefully followed the rules of breaking the screen in, and avoiding static picture elements. But, still, it sucks to have to think about.

The reason I got plasma was because of the contrast ratio and the slightly diffused edges of plasma, which I prefer over the razor sharp, unnatural IMO edges of LCD. And my Panasonic Plasma looked the best on the floor and was highly rated online. For the same price of my 720p plasma, I could have gotten a true 1080p LCD, but decided against it. I prefer the rich contrast ratio and colors of plasma, personally.

I only would have gotten a 1080p LCD, I think, if I could have gotten the really good ones, but they were out of my price range. Like the Sony Bravia had the best picture of all at one of the stores I went to. Samsung is also good.

Thanks. If money is not an object, would you recommend Sony Bravia ?

how far will you be sitting from your TV? (to determine screen size)
and what will you be using it mostly for? TV/Sports, dvds/blu-ray/hd-dvd, video games?

1. about ten feet (3 meters)

2. Mostly for watching hd-dvd and tennis match.

Char
08-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Higher end LCD if money is no object, imho.

Sinner
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
if money is not an issue, than yeah, go for a full-HD 1080p LCD... the new line of Bravia's are pretty nice, but expensive... size-wise, bravia offers 40, 46 and 50-inch LCDs... personally, i'd go for 46...

but 35ft6 pretty much sumed it up... LCDs are razon sharp, which some people might not like, but it'll make your HD-DVD's look great...

Craig Sheppard
08-21-2007, 06:14 AM
There's also a big argument whether 1080p is really worth it... at a certain distance (and not that far a distance), the human eye can't distinguish between the individual pixels in 1080p--so it essentially is the same as 720p. If you have a really big screen and sit up close, it would make a difference. But it seems at normal room viewing distances, it doesn't... Just relaying what I read on some other sites.

Also, burn-in was a problem in 1st gen Plasma screens, but plasma tech keeps developing, and it doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore. Also newer plasmas are rated for something like 50,000+ hours, which is pretty long. Not sure when they start losing brightness on that scale though. I *think* 50k hr life means it loses 1/2 its brightness after that time, I may be wrong though.

But the color depth is unquestionably better on plasma, so you're not going to get a richer picture on LCD's.

IMO, my next set is probably going to be a 50" Plasma. I currently have a HD projector setup w/ a 76" screen... it's great for HD football & sports & movies, but I really don't like it that much for other stuff, so when this bulb goes, I'll get a 50" plasma.

diegaa
08-21-2007, 06:36 AM
LCD will last longer. but $ will be higher as well. I would personally go with plasma, we never know what technology is upcoming.

ktownva
08-21-2007, 07:12 AM
I have an LG 37" LCD that is great. It has a build in HD tuner so I can pick up HD over the air/cable without a separate box or buying a card. The LG is comparable to the Bravia in quality and it is less expensive, or so the Circuit City guy told me. It looked as good to me in the showroom, and I've been happy with it for the last year. The built in HD is a must have feature, I would insist on it no matter screen type you choose.

cbtennisdude
08-21-2007, 09:33 AM
lcd all the way the best that can be offered

xtremerunnerars
08-21-2007, 09:48 AM
We just got a Vizio 50 in. plasma and it is FAN-TAS-TIC. Every hookup that one could possibly desire; however, you probably don't have much use for most of them.

Like craig already said, screen burn isn't that much of a problem anymore with the newer gen plasma tvs.

One of the most important tests you can do is to look at the tv from the side. Since a lot of your tv viewing isn't actually dead on, you need to know how it will look. I found the LCDs to be typically very dark from the side and that's what made us get plasma. You need to view the screen in all types of action too.

FWIW, we were stuck between a 50 in. Pioneer and a Vizio, but we ended up going with the Vizio.

sboo
08-21-2007, 09:52 AM
In my opinion if you want anything under 42" go lcd. I just got a 26" samsung for college, and it is spectacular. It supports 1080i which really makes a difference for hd-dvds and xbox 360 games.

KBalla08
08-21-2007, 09:59 AM
LCD is the way to go... lasts longer and is cheaper to fix.

little_e
08-21-2007, 10:11 AM
DLP when the picture starts to fade just change the light bulb.

dave333
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
My family recently got a 57 inch, full hd (1080p), LCD rear projection. I dunno, but it sure is awesome!

Pretty cheap too, was only 1799.

tennispro11
08-21-2007, 11:05 AM
Okay here is my take on this. Just bought a 40" Samsung LCD tv. It is amazing. I have owned 2 other LCD's as well. I just keep upgrading to a bigger tv. Plasma of course looks better if you have HD programming and HDMI and all that good stuff. The contrast ratio is way better on plasma's now than LCD's, but they are improving. The only problem with Plasma's are, if you move them at all you have to be super careful. They also get really hot. You don't need all the quality hookups for the LCD. They are nice to have but if you don't or can't afford all of them the LCD screen looks better with regular hookups. LCD's can be moved really easy and they are close to the same picture quality. Overall I would go with an LCD. The advantages compared to the disadvantages are better with the LCD.

Sinner
08-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Ano, I just noticed that you're in Jakarta... do they have HD broadcasts there yet?

mellofelow
08-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I have both, plasma in the Living room and LCD in the bedroom - both are 1080i/720p. Much of the arguments have already been stated but for myself, I much prefer the plasma. The color and contrast are slightly better. The viewing angle of the plasma is not affected at all while LCD grays out from the side.

On the other hand, plasma uses much more energy in comparison.

35ft6
08-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Thanks. If money is not an object, would you recommend Sony Bravia ? From what I saw, Sony and Samsung, their high-end LCD's had the best picture, followed by LG.

The absolute best picture I saw during all my research was a Samsung 1080p LCD playing a Blu Ray Batman Begins. Stunning.

Make sure if you get a 1080p TV, try to get a TV with a 1080p INPUT!!! They don't tell you this, but a lot of 1080p TV's can't accept a true 1080p signal, instead de-interlacing the 1080i signal. The high end Sony's and Samsungs have true 1080p input chips, and so does the relatively low priced Toshiba 1080p somebody mentioned earlier, and that Toshiba even has a HDMI 1.3 chip, the latest available, allowing billions of colors instead of millions. But more importantly, according to people more knowledgeable than me, is the uncompressed audio it allows.1. about ten feet (3 meters)

2. Mostly for watching hd-dvd and tennis match. At ten feet, you don't need anything bigger than 42 inches, and I'm pretty sure I read that Plasma is better for fast action, processes fast moving images quicker and smoother.

But maybe the high end Samsungs and Sony's don't have this problem. Didn't investigate this enough to confirm with my own eyes really.

Originally, I was going to get a DLP because supposedly they were still the best in terms of picture quality, burn in (none), and color depth, but every DLP I saw looked like crap on the showroom floor. Coming out are laser DLP's that are supposed to be even better.

35ft6
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Also, don't buy the super expensive HDMI cables. I've heard they're all the same. I bought mine for $16 bucks each, and they work fine. At the stores, they try to sell off the 60 dollar ones.

Ano
08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Ano, I just noticed that you're in Jakarta... do they have HD broadcasts there yet?

Unfortunately the answer is no.

I'm planning to use the TV to watch HD DVD (movies and tennis matches).

0ne more question to you all, which HD DVD player brand do consider as the best?

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I really appreciate your replies.

At this moment, my tendency is to buy Samsung LCD TV (40 inches).

Ano
08-21-2007, 06:25 PM
From what I saw, Sony and Samsung, their high-end LCD's had the best picture, followed by LG.

The absolute best picture I saw during all my research was a Samsung 1080p LCD playing a Blu Ray Batman Begins. Stunning.

Make sure if you get a 1080p TV, try to get a TV with a 1080p INPUT!!! They don't tell you this, but a lot of 1080p TV's can't accept a true 1080p signal, instead de-interlacing the 1080i signal. The high end Sony's and Samsungs have true 1080p input chips, and so does the relatively low priced Toshiba 1080p somebody mentioned earlier, and that Toshiba even has a HDMI 1.3 chip, the latest available, allowing billions of colors instead of millions. But more importantly, according to people more knowledgeable than me, is the uncompressed audio it allows. At ten feet, you don't need anything bigger than 42 inches, and I'm pretty sure I read that Plasma is better for fast action, processes fast moving images quicker and smoother.

But maybe the high end Samsungs and Sony's don't have this problem. Didn't investigate this enough to confirm with my own eyes really.

Originally, I was going to get a DLP because supposedly they were still the best in terms of picture quality, burn in (none), and color depth, but every DLP I saw looked like crap on the showroom floor. Coming out are laser DLP's that are supposed to be even better.

Yes, last night I went to an Electronic Store, and saw a Samsung LCD that have a "Movie Plus" feature. I fell in love with it. It's 40 inches and the price is the equivalent of about US$ 1,300

But it's still not a final decision. I still welcome opinions from all of you.

Richie Rich
08-21-2007, 06:32 PM

i picked my pioneer elite plasma for the exact same reasons as you. i really liked the sharp aquos lcd but they had an issue with banding which put me right off them. i also liked the sony bravia xbr lcd but that silly glass border and the price turned me off.

haven't had any regrets about buying my plasma.

StealthGnome
08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
LCD. Check out the AVS forums. They have many people who know many things about their TVs.
My family just bought a Sony WDL-46W3000 LCD TV for the living room. It should arrive tomorrow.
A 6ft HDMI cable can be bought at monoprice.com for $4.80. Don't worry about the thickness of the cable. It works just as well.

tennispro11
08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Yes, last night I went to an Electronic Store, and saw a Samsung LCD that have a "Movie Plus" feature. I fell in love with it. It's 40 inches and the price is the equivalent of about US$ 1,300

But it's still not a final decision. I still welcome opinions from all of you.

Hey I just bought a Samsung 40" LCD. It is totally amazing. Do you remember the model #? That is really the only thing you need to know about any tv you buy, low-end mid-range and high-end. Your best bet is to buy a mid-range model. Best quality for the price.

damasta55
08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
i bought a plasma a year ago, now prices dropped and i wished i went for a 1080p lcd...

Ano
08-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey I just bought a Samsung 40" LCD. It is totally amazing. Do you remember the model #? That is really the only thing you need to know about any tv you buy, low-end mid-range and high-end. Your best bet is to buy a mid-range model. Best quality for the price.

I don't remember the model #. I will check it out tonight. I can get to the store in 5 minutes by walking.

Which model did you buy and how much did you pay for it?

tennispro11
08-21-2007, 11:03 PM
I don't remember the model #. I will check it out tonight. I can get to the store in 5 minutes by walking.

Which model did you buy and how much did you pay for it?

I bought this one LN-T4053H. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Televisions&pid=05771057000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=LCD+TVs&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes I have a friend that works in electronics and I got a little price break. I paid like $1400 for it. I absolutely love it and wouldn't get anything else. The contrast ratio on this one is 8000:1. That is probably the highest you can get for that price. The picture looks amazing. :)

volusiano
08-22-2007, 12:21 AM
One thing to consider is that plasma TVs will draw a lot more power than LCD TVs and run hotter generally. The limitation of LCD is that you can't go too large. I think LCDs go up to about 47", and if you want to go bigger, like 55 or 60 or 65", you'd have to resort to plasma or DLP. With DLP you'll have to replace the bulb every few years and they can cost a few hundred bucks. And DLP is a little thicker than plasma or lcd TVs.

Hot Sauce
08-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Where does DLP fit in? Someone finish this equation:

DLP O LCD O PLASMA

(Inequalities)

Ano
08-22-2007, 04:34 AM
I bought this one LN-T4053H. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Televisions&pid=05771057000&vertical=ELEC&subcat=LCD+TVs&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes I have a friend that works in electronics and I got a little price break. I paid like $1400 for it. I absolutely love it and wouldn't get anything else. The contrast ratio on this one is 8000:1. That is probably the highest you can get for that price. The picture looks amazing. :)

I've checked the store.

The model is LA 40S81. The contrast ratio is 7000:1. (720 p).

Perhaps Samsung have different model's numbers for different countries?

origmarm
08-22-2007, 04:54 AM
We go through a lot of these in the office so I asked the tech guy his thoughts. He said the following:
- LCDs apparently use a lot less power and have a longer life than Plasmas
- LCDs are way cheaper if anything goes wrong
- LCDs may have defective pixels, check the warranty for conditions about this as apparently many do not replace under a certain amount of dead pixels
- 1080p is apparently the one to go for over about 32inches. Apparently digital signals and the new HD DVDs/Bluerays or the PS3 or similar make use of this.
- Cheapers LCDs may have problems with the quality of the black colour and have "ghosting" or shadowy images. Apparently Sony, Samsung, LG and Toshiba make the best panels
- 42" is probably the biggest LCD that is good. Over that plasma is better
- The newer LCDs will be much brighter, apparently the older ones have brightness issues and plasmas were better

Hope it helps. Rob

volusiano
08-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Where does DLP fit in? Someone finish this equation:

DLP O LCD O PLASMA

(Inequalities)

I think DLP has its place where you want a very large screen like 55" or 60" or above, but don't want to have to pay the higher price of plasma. It's a projection system where you shine a light source onto the DLP chip and project it back out onto the screen. So you're not going to be able to hang it on a wall like you can with a plasma. But it's lighter and cheaper than a plasma for a BIG screen TV.

Ano
08-22-2007, 05:44 PM
We go through a lot of these in the office so I asked the tech guy his thoughts. He said the following:
- LCDs apparently use a lot less power and have a longer life than Plasmas
- LCDs are way cheaper if anything goes wrong
- LCDs may have defective pixels, check the warranty for conditions about this as apparently many do not replace under a certain amount of dead pixels
- 1080p is apparently the one to go for over about 32inches. Apparently digital signals and the new HD DVDs/Bluerays or the PS3 or similar make use of this.
- Cheapers LCDs may have problems with the quality of the black colour and have "ghosting" or shadowy images. Apparently Sony, Samsung, LG and Toshiba make the best panels
- 42" is probably the biggest LCD that is good. Over that plasma is better
- The newer LCDs will be much brighter, apparently the older ones have brightness issues and plasmas were better

Hope it helps. Rob

Yes, it helps. Thanks, Rob.!!

Ano
08-24-2007, 03:05 AM
UPDATE :

I decided to buy Samsung LCD, 40 inches, 768pixels, contrast ratio 8000:1.
The price : equivalent of US$ 1400. The model number is LA40R81BX.

The LCD will be delivered to my new apartment on next Monday.

Why I didn't buy the full HD 1080 pixels? Because the store owner (a friend of mine) told me, it's useless to buy the 1080p, because there is no HD broadcast in my country.

When I saw the 768p and 1080p in the store, I really couldn't tell the difference when they were used to watch local broadcast.

And when they were used to watch HD DVD, I could tell the difference, but not by much.

I want to thank all of you who have replied. I really appreciate all of your opinions.

Breakaz54z
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
nevermind, i'm too late

Breakaz54z
08-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Also, check out the Sony XBR 4 if you haven't already. That thing is freaking amazing! If it's hooked up to a Blu Ray or HD DVD player, turn on the motion enhancer to high and just back and enjoy..

tennispro11
08-24-2007, 10:15 PM
UPDATE :

Why I didn't buy the full HD 1080 pixels? Because the store owner (a friend of mine) told me, it's useless to buy the 1080p, because there is no HD broadcast in my country.

When I saw the 768p and 1080p in the store, I really couldn't tell the difference when they were used to watch local broadcast.

And when they were used to watch HD DVD, I could tell the difference, but not by much.

I want to thank all of you who have replied. I really appreciate all of your opinions.

You made a good choice! Enjoy it. Let us know what you think.

xtremerunnerars
08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Congrats! Sucks you don't get full HD there (most stuff here is either 720 or 1080i anyways) but it's better than nothing.

BTW, the p stands for progressive not pixels. Has to do with the way the video is made/presented, and it's better than i which means interlaced.

Fedfan4life
08-24-2007, 11:12 PM
UPDATE :

Isn't the "p" stands for progressive not pixels?

dufferok
08-28-2007, 05:59 AM
I just upgraded my 15 year old Phillips TV (still work'n like a champ) to a Samsung LCD HDTV 32" LN-T3253H. I did a lot of research, reading and comparing LCD sets out there. The picture on this LCD is absolutely beautiful! The Samsung gives you more picture adjusting options than you'll ever need and allows you to fine tune each channel individually for optimal reception.

For those of you that are members of AAA (Auto/Home Insurance), as a member you can visit the AAA website and download a 10% off coupon for Circuit City. The TV is currently on sell at Circuit City (in store only) for $899, with 10% off coupon and tax, total purchase price was $877. You can also get this unit from Amazon for $845+ but then you have to trust UPS or FedEx delivers your new unit without damaging it.

Link: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-32-LCD-HDTV-LN-T3253H/sem/rpsm/oid/173637/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

MaximRecoil
08-28-2007, 06:53 AM
They both suck IMO. CRT's are the only displays I care for. SED's look very promising (essentially a flat panel CRT), if they can ever get on the market at a reasonable price. Theoretically they would make LCD and plasma obsolete instantly:
A surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED) is a flat panel display technology that uses surface conduction electron emitters for every individual display pixel. The surface conduction emitter emits electrons that excite a phosphor coating on the display panel, the same basic concept found in traditional cathode ray tube (CRT) televisions. This means that SEDs use small cathode ray tubes behind every single pixel (instead of one tube for the whole display) and can combine the slim form factor of LCDs and plasma displays with the superior viewing angles, contrast, black levels, color definition and pixel response time of CRTs. Canon also claims that SEDs consume less power than LCD displays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

LuckyR
08-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Isn't the "p" stands for progressive not pixels?

While true, his post is germaine in the sense that for screens less than, I seem to recall 54", you can't use the full 1080 resolution since there aren't enough pixels in the screen to display such a picture.

Craig Sheppard
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
While true, his post is germaine in the sense that for screens less than, I seem to recall 54", you can't use the full 1080 resolution since there aren't enough pixels in the screen to display such a picture.

All 1080p really means is that you have a progressive-scan picture of 1920x1080 pixels... Any LCD panel can have a resolution of 1920x1080, such as this 37" LCD:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3qWfYdbBs9W/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&tab=features_and_specs&i=284LC37D62#Tab

So you can get full 1080p on smaller LCD's.

LuckyR
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
All 1080p really means is that you have a progressive-scan picture of 1920x1080 pixels... Any LCD panel can have a resolution of 1920x1080, such as this 37" LCD:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3qWfYdbBs9W/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&tab=features_and_specs&i=284LC37D62#Tab

So you can get full 1080p on smaller LCD's.

My data may a few (OK maybe more...) years old. Carry on...

Ano
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
You made a good choice! Enjoy it. Let us know what you think.

Congrats! Sucks you don't get full HD there (most stuff here is either 720 or 1080i anyways) but it's better than nothing.

BTW, the p stands for progressive not pixels. Has to do with the way the video is made/presented, and it's better than i which means interlaced.

Thanks.

So far I've been satisfied with my LCD, even though I have not had much time to enjoy it.

I've been busy moving in to a new apartment. ( I had to move my books, about 1000 books!)

I want to thank again to all who have replied.

Sanyi
11-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey thanks for directing me to this thread, Ano. How's the tv?

LuckyR
11-08-2007, 09:07 AM
BTW, 1080p is only available in LCD (at the 42" size, which I am in the market for), by my understanding. Question answered.

Ano
11-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey thanks for directing me to this thread, Ano. How's the tv?

So far so good.

I'm satisfied with my Samsung LCD. ;)

Lakoste
11-08-2007, 05:18 PM
BTW, 1080p is only available in LCD (at the 42" size, which I am in the market for), by my understanding. Question answered.

Uhhh, no? I have seen 42" Plasma TVs that are 1080p.

LuckyR
11-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Uhhh, no? I have seen 42" Plasma TVs that are 1080p.

Hey, you're right! That salesman lied to me! I'm shocked, shocked, I say...

HEAD/PRINCE RULE
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
LCD for sure only way to go