PDA

View Full Version : WeissCannon MatchPower

Ripper
08-21-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm starting to like this string quite a bit. It definitively offers more comfort and power than the other orange co-poly, which it's supposed to compete against. Yes, I'm talking about Signum Pro Poly Plasma (or SPPP, as we like to call it here), btw. MatchPower is the 2nd most comfortable poly I've tried, until now, Topspin Poly Polar being the 1st. However, MP is crispier and more responsive. Tension retension seems to be way better, too. Not sure if this is what I'd replace Poly Polar with, the day I can't buy it anymore, but it'll be on my list of options. There are, still, several other strings I need to playtest, like the new Topspin Cyber Power, but I owed this one another try, before testing anything else. CP is next.

PBODY99
08-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm getting ready to compare SPP nad Weis this in a pair O3 Citrons for my end of the summer tournament play. I'm not a big fan of Poly Polar as the Durability was not what I expected. Granted this was at least 4 years ago when I tried it.

Ripper
08-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm getting ready to compare SPP nad Weis this in a pair O3 Citrons for my end of the summer tournament play. I'm not a big fan of Poly Polar as the Durability was not what I expected. Granted this was at least 4 years ago when I tried it.

Yes, Poly Polar doesn't last much for a poly. MatchPower seems like it lasts a lot more. However, I love the way Poly Polar plays. So, much comfort and control, imo.

Gmedlo
08-21-2007, 07:24 PM
So does the tension hold better than with SPPP? Seeing that MP is a little cheaper than SPPP, better tension maintenance would break the deal, as that is my only complaint about SPPP. Might replace SPPP with MP in my current setup.

I have a set of MP that I will try with Fibertour mains and Yonex 850 mains, see how it compares w/ SPPP.

Gah, so many acronyms!

volusiano
08-21-2007, 11:43 PM
I have used both MP and SPPP and I would probably give SPPP a slight edge in terms of better tension stability. Not by much, but MP seems to lose tension just a little bit sooner than SPPP.

Ripper
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
I have used both MP and SPPP and I would probably give SPPP a slight edge in terms of better tension stability. Not by much, but MP seems to lose tension just a little bit sooner than SPPP.

I really couldn't tell. I consider MP and SPPP equal in that department. However, as I said, MP has the edge on comfort and power over SPPP. Oh and did I mention that I, also, seemed to get a bit better spin out of MP than SPPP?

PS: Btw, I've only tried the orange versions of both.

ohplease
08-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I've been tracking my tension loss with MatchPower with freqmess and audacity. There was a steady drop over the first 10 hours with both my frames (I switch off every other session), at which point the tension hasn't budged after another 4-6 hours of play.

Haven't used SPPP, in fact never used poly before this set of string jobs. Coming from BDE Rallye/PSG hybrid. I ran the gut hybrid at 59/61, and I'm running the MatchPower at 51/53. Total tension loss according to freqmess is about 5 pounds, so far.

I'm not convinced this will be my final setup. I might try running either PSG or natural gut in the crosses next time, for a little more resilience/feel. I will say that even though the tension hasn't measurably changed over the last few hours, it did seem like the playability of MatchPower is starting to slip a little, though it could just have been the cold temps that day.

Overall, if I had matches that mattered coming up, and I had to play with full MatchPower, I wouldn't have a problem. That said, I've got some time to play with, so I'm experimenting. All I want is about 20 hours per stick, with decent and consistent performance the whole time. The gut hybrid was only getting 10-12 lately, hence the poly exploration.

volusiano
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I've been tracking my tension loss with MatchPower with freqmess and audacity.

How do you like freqmess? Does it work out well for you?

I tried it out in the beginning but the data seemed kinda inconsistent so I just gave up and forked the money over to buy an ERT300. I like the ERT300 but I always wonder how the freqmess would have worked out if I gave it more time and collected more data.

No regret getting the ERT300, though. Just curious on how the freqmess is working out for other people.

ohplease
08-22-2007, 12:10 PM
How do you like freqmess? Does it work out well for you?

I tried it out in the beginning but the data seemed kinda inconsistent so I just gave up and forked the money over to buy an ERT300. I like the ERT300 but I always wonder how the freqmess would have worked out if I gave it more time and collected more data.

No regret getting the ERT300, though. Just curious on how the freqmess is working out for other people.

Other than my wife describing it as "beyond the pale" in terms of tennis/computer nerdiness, it's great. Wish I'd started tracking relative tension loss a long time ago.

I should note that I haven't been using the freqmess program itself. I've stolen their formula and plugged it into an excel spreadsheet, instead. Ultimately, I think the freqmess method would be pretty much completely useless across different string or gauges, but it works well for any given string job.

Have you found that DT values off the ERT300 give you similar playability across string types? Like transitioning between natural gut and poly, for example?

volusiano
08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Have you found that DT values off the ERT300 give you similar playability across string types? Like transitioning between natural gut and poly, for example?

I've only used poly on my rackets so far (SPPP, Topspin Cyberflash and WeissCanon PowerMarch), so I don't know how the DT values compare across string types. But at least across these polys that I use and across different rackets, the DT seems fairly indicative of the playability.

Generally by the time the DT value reads 30, you can start to see string movement, even on poly which generally moves very little. It helps me to know when I should cut out the string and replace it with new string (between 30 and 28), especially on poly which has very good tension stability.