PDA

View Full Version : will tennis-community ever go metric

PackardDell
08-21-2007, 08:30 AM
In Europe we use the metric system. IMO superior to the AngloSaxon system and therefore I wonder wether the tenniscommunity will ever go full metric. No more mess with sq inch and ounces and lbs and wathever. Just gram and meter.

A look at the TW site also show an inconsistency. For the length of a racket the people in anglo saxon countries uses inches but for the beam width they use the metric milimeter. A first step in abondoning the AS system?

Only from a langustic point of view the AS is better. Ounce, inch, pound, mile. It sounds much better than centimeter, kilogram. etc.

gregmiata
08-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Doubtful for a long time since the US is one of the largest consumers of the product and is wholeheartedly resistant to make the switch to metric. Tennis Warehouse is a US-based company so they will definitely not switch over till the rest of the country already has.

I think the reason that you see beam width in MM is that even those of us used to the inch demarcation hate to work with fractions of an inch and it is easier to see that 20mm is roughly 10% smaller than 22mm, while figuring out the difference between 17/32 of an inch and 2/3 of an inch makes our poor over-caffeinated brains hurt. :)

Greg

nyc
08-21-2007, 09:07 AM
NOT Metric:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Metric_system.png

Syfo-Dias
08-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I've never heard it called the Anglo Saxon System before. If we're going to call it that, then let's call metric the French System since that's where it was invented. I believe the correct term is Imperial or Standard Measurement. I spoke to some British friends recently and they seemed pretty reluctant to use metrics, despite the fact it's being forced upon them by the government. They still refer to petrol in gallons instead of liters. Distance in miles and feet. And weight in pounds and ounces. I personally think it's good to know both systems. They both have their pros and cons.

PackardDell
08-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I've never heard it called the Anglo Saxon System before. If we're going to call it that, then let's call metric the French System since that's where it was invented. I believe the correct term is Imperial or Standard Measurement. I spoke to some British friends recently and they seemed pretty reluctant to use metrics, despite the fact it's being forced upon them by the government. They still refer to petrol in gallons instead of liters. Distance in miles and feet. And weight in pounds and ounces. I personally think it's good to know both systems. They both have their pros and cons.

the imperial/AS/standard system has IMO only a linguistic pro

What is in your opinion the pro ?

Spinner
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I prefer Imperial for things related to driving, like MPG. No idea what would be a good Litre/kilometer comparrison.

For racquets, for as long as 27" is the standard length, it doesnt make sense to talk about MM. BABOLAT please take note !!