PDA

View Full Version : Does string tension affects the kick serve ?

Mrcrazybutt
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Does string tension affect a kick serve ? Is the higher the tension, the more spin and speed it has ? And should i go get a yonex rds 001 ? lmfao :D i have a aerodrive and thinking about switching x] I use a 52 tension and use the kick. But when i use a racket with 59 tension , my kick turns more to the left almost like a twist serve and it is so much faster. Am i just imagining it or does it really affect the serve ? :D

wihamilton
08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
yes it matters. a higher string tension means more spin / less power. and vica versa.

habib
08-21-2007, 04:28 PM
Interestingly enough I've heard that lower tension gives more spin.

thefan
08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah I also feel that a lower tensions bites the ball a little more and gets more spin

wihamilton
08-21-2007, 05:44 PM
the ball compresses more on tighter strings cuz there's less give and, consequently, the strings bite a little bit more. that gives you slightly more spin.

AJK1
08-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Definitely lower tensions give more spin, more ball pocketing and more power, but a little less control. Mid tension is usually the best of both worlds.
Unless you are a very good player, i would not recommend the RDS001.
Try the Babolat Pure Storm or Dunlop AG300, nice lighter players racquets with good control and some useful power.

kingkong
08-21-2007, 05:54 PM
no it does not

jmverdugo
08-22-2007, 06:39 AM
I think it matters, i wouldnt know if higher tensions give you more spin or viceversa i always string my racket in the same range (mid tension), however my better kicks come when i have a fresh stringjob.

arnz
08-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Definitely a good reason to have your own stringer is the ability to experiment with different tensions and strings. For me, high tension gives more spin. Probably because it lowers the power, I can swing harder and more upward without causing it to go long, and the faster the swing, the more spin I generate

habib
08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
the ball compresses more on tighter strings cuz there's less give and, consequently, the strings bite a little bit more. that gives you slightly more spin.

On the other hand the ball is on tighter strings for less time, meaning looser strings get a better hold/grip on the ball.

mucat
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Definitely a good reason to have your own stringer is the ability to experiment with different tensions and strings. For me, high tension gives more spin. Probably because it lowers the power, I can swing harder and more upward without causing it to go long, and the faster the swing, the more spin I generate

I think it is just that, the faster the swing, the more spin the racket generate. What matter is finding the perfect tension for ourselves to allow for maximum swing speed. There are Pros using high tension and there are Pros using low tension. I am starting to think the effect of tension on spin is very minimal.

Sean Dugan
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I think the empirical studies indicate that a tighter string bed will yield some additional rpm's all else the same. I know subjectively that seems to be the case. I can get wicked amounts of spin with a tightly strung frame and the ball starts to fly on me as the tension diminishes.

Regardless of string tension, as mentioned above, racquet head speed is critical as is the racquet's path and point of contact. The great kickers/twisters place their toss to the left of their head (if right handed). See Rafter, Edberg, et al. Pretty difficult for an amateur to do consistently without ending up in traction. However, all else equal, the farther left your toss, the more topspin/kick/twist; the farther right, the more side spin/slice. If you look at the racquet's path during your spin service motion, you'll see why. It initially travels up and then sideways; hence the different spins.

Grips can also effect spin. I get more spin using a full bh grip than with a continental as it presents a more angled racquet face to the ball at contact. (My normal service grip is between a full backhand and continental.)

wihamilton
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
On the other hand the ball is on tighter strings for less time, meaning looser strings get a better hold/grip on the ball.

i'm not sure if there is a significant time difference... i think yandell said somewhere that the ball is on the strings for 5 milliseconds pretty much regardless of (a reasonable) string tension.

regardless, you are assuming that the longer the ball spends on the strings the better the grip is, which isn't the case.

habib
08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
i'm not sure if there is a significant time difference... i think yandell said somewhere that the ball is on the strings for 5 milliseconds pretty much regardless of (a reasonable) string tension.

regardless, you are assuming that the longer the ball spends on the strings the better the grip is, which isn't the case.

Perhaps the time difference isn't significant, but it seems silly to assume that such a difference wouldn't impact the amount of spin that would be applied. In addition, though the ball may compress more against tighter strings, the looser strings would 'cup' the ball better, effectively gripping it over a wider surface area.

Not sure which imperical studies Sean is referring to, but a lot of the physics in tennis is a bit counter-intuitive, such as open string patterns generating more spin than closer string patterns.

mucat
08-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Regardless of string tension, as mentioned above, racquet head speed is critical as is the racquet's path and point of contact. The great kickers place their toss to the left of their head (if right handed). See Rafter, Edberg, et al. Pretty difficult for an amateur to do consistently without ending up in traction. However, all else equal, the farther left your toss, the more topspin/kick; the farther right, the more side spin/slice. If you look at the racquet's path during your spin service motion, you'll see why. It initially travels up and then sideways; hence the different spins.

Great stuff for someone wants to know how to do a kick serve!!!
It took me a while to figure this out.

Grips can also effect spin. I get more spin using a full bh grip than with a continental as it presents a more angled racquet face to the ball at contact. (My normal service grip is between a full backhand and continental.)

The other day, I just trying to hit topspin serve with continental. I got a few of them in. I notice I have to contact the ball much further left than using EBH grip, very interesting.