PDA

View Full Version : Switching from western to semi western.

Bundey
08-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok, I have had some problems with my western forehand lately. First off it is too loopy and really generates no power, just topspin that sits up there to be killed. It looks akward and I want to hit through the ball more for power and spin instead of just brushing with a western. The problem is that when I try to use the semi I send it sailing over the fence. I guess I am having trouble altering my swing to plow through it more instead of using that awkward looking loop crap. Is there any advice you could give me on contact point, or the actuall swinging motion. I know I need to swing more level, but I just have trouble with it since that loop is so ingrained in my head.

Advice is appreciated,

Bundey.

TennisFrkJC92
08-21-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a SW grip, slighty towards the Western but still a SW grip. You shouldn't use a western if it's all spin and no power. And if the ball's sailing to the fence that means you're hitting form is just a flat out horizontal contact with the ball. SemiWestern still requires you to have a loopy swing but not as much to generate spin. Brush up more on the ball and your shots will have plenty of spin and power.

dave333
08-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Try something in between SW and W.

clee
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I used to be in that position too where I was ready to abandon my western forehand for a flatter semi-western. However, I could never get the timing right on the SW and it caused even more problems. I can tell you from experience that its more in the technique than it is in the grip.

You will have to change your setup in order to stop that extreme brushing motion. The classic approach to hitting a topspin forehand was always taught to strike the ball from low to high, but now the whole game has changed. There are lots of websites out there now that show examples of players with western grips that can hit with plenty of depth and pace. The basic idea is to setup the forehand so that the bottom of the handle is facing the plane of the ball rather than starting from low to high. Than as you finish the swing, you want to extend the arm forward keeping the doublebend so that you make solid contact . This helps to eliminate alot of the brushing that is occuring.

Also, if you are close to Northern VA, Jeff (JCo872) on this forum is an excellent instructor.

burosky
08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
The main reason why you are getting the results you are getting is because you changed your grip but you kept your swing path. If you use a SW grip and swing it the way you swing with a W grip, your racket face will be pointing up at point of contact thus making the ball sail. A little adjustment in your swing path will allow you to keep your W grip but still hit with depth and pace.

To hit that loopy forehand you are describing, you need to brush up on the ball and the most effective way to make sure you put a lot of spin on it is to drop the head of the racket and go from low to high. This puts heavy spin on the ball which have a tendency to make the ball land short.

To get that depth and penetration from your W grip, try changing your swing path so when you do your backswing your racket is parallel to the ground. This means the racket head and grip is close to the same level as the incoming ball. The only change you want to make is the back swing part. Point of contact and follow through should be the same. This is actually what the previous poster was describing when he said to point the butt of the racket towards the incoming ball. Give this a shot and let us know how it works for you.

Bundey
08-22-2007, 06:03 PM
The main reason why you are getting the results you are getting is because you changed your grip but you kept your swing path. If you use a SW grip and swing it the way you swing with a W grip, your racket face will be pointing up at point of contact thus making the ball sail. A little adjustment in your swing path will allow you to keep your W grip but still hit with depth and pace.

To hit that loopy forehand you are describing, you need to brush up on the ball and the most effective way to make sure you put a lot of spin on it is to drop the head of the racket and go from low to high. This puts heavy spin on the ball which have a tendency to make the ball land short.

To get that depth and penetration from your W grip, try changing your swing path so when you do your backswing your racket is parallel to the ground. This means the racket head and grip is close to the same level as the incoming ball. The only change you want to make is the back swing part. Point of contact and follow through should be the same. This is actually what the previous poster was describing when he said to point the butt of the racket towards the incoming ball. Give this a shot and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks a lot for the advice, but I think I'm gonna try to semi western a few more times.

I hit tonight with the semi and at first sent balls flying, but I eventually settled down and started getting them in the court. The problem is that I still have to use extreme topspin to get it in. I think if I use this a bit more though I will get it down pat. I need to find the timing with the semi in order to hit those really penetrating shots, and I think that that will come with time. If it doesn't though I'll try your method great advice! :-D

Bundey
08-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Okay, I played again today and still no consistantcy. I just don't get that same amount of topspin or control I did with the western. Any more advice?

bizzle
08-23-2007, 05:47 PM
pay for some lessons

Leoboomanu
08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm guessing you'll go right back to W in the future...
Hitting with a western is like an artform... not everybody can use W...

Had the same problem some time ago...

Simple cure... flatten your swing path a bit...
Western already prepares the racquet head for topspin, so no need to brush up so steeply, just consciously swing at a flatter angle...

Best,
Leo

burosky
08-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Try the other advise from the thread first. You might be surprised.

In D Zone
08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Ok, I have had some problems with my western forehand lately. First off it is too loopy and really generates no power, just topspin that sits up there to be killed. It looks akward and I want to hit through the ball more for power and spin instead of just brushing with a western. The problem is that when I try to use the semi I send it sailing over the fence. I guess I am having trouble altering my swing to plow through it more instead of using that awkward looking loop crap. Is there any advice you could give me on contact point, or the actuall swinging motion. I know I need to swing more level, but I just have trouble with it since that loop is so ingrained in my head.

Advice is appreciated,

Bundey.

Bundey

Here is my suggestion. F O O T W O R K
you might want to look into changing your forehand position to an 'Open Stance'. I think you are hitting your forehand stroke how most us were taught to play - Closed stance. I had change grips from eastern to semi -western and had the same inconsistent results. Then I had the chance to play with a couple of 5.0 players this last few moths who where just plowing through with their forehand - flat or spin with so much pace, depth and control. I noticed they were using the Open Stance position.

I changed how I approach my shot to an open stance.... ViolA! I got rewarded with instant power. control and consistency.

To me - Semi Western Forehand and the open stance are the perfect combination. Open stance basically forces u to move towards the ball and instead of side stepping with your left foot (right handed) you transfer your weight to your right foot while immediately turning your hip and shoulder back with the racquet. the movement create a catapult effect and you'll be hitting the ball in front of you. As always, swing your racquet from low to high (keep your follow thru across your shoulder ; not over your shoulder) this shd keep the ball right above the net and enough spin.

To better understand what I mean, see attached link.

http://www.geocities.com/hofertennis@sbcglobal.net/tiparchive3.html

http://tennis.about.com/od/forehandbackhand/ss/soswsbs.htm

Most Pros are hitting with Open stance .... best pros to watch are the Williams sisters, especially Venus (US Open). Same position applies on your backhand.

Try it and let me if this helps!