PDA

View Full Version : So if I'm volleying....

Fat7m7
08-21-2007, 07:29 PM
And my racket happens to go over the net, is it my opponents point?

psp2
08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
And my racket happens to go over the net, is it my opponents point?

Yes, if you volley a ball that has not broken the plane of the net (the ball hasn't reached your side of the net).

No, if you volley a ball that has crossed the plane of the net, and now is on your side of the court. Your racquet follow through can go over the net in this case.

Fat7m7
08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks! I am pleased to know I made the correct call. ;)

bluestreak711
08-22-2007, 11:28 PM
there is one exception that most people don't know about because it is very unlikely

when your opponent hits a drop shot with so much spin that it bounces on your side and then hops back to your opponent

if you don't make contact with it b4 it lands back on their side it is there point but in this one and only case you can reach over and make contact with the ball before it lands on there side again

i guess this is very uncommon for recreational play

i found this out on a quetsionare that i took from about.com

Hot Sauce
08-22-2007, 11:52 PM
there is one exception that most people don't know about because it is very unlikely

when your opponent hits a drop shot with so much spin that it bounces on your side and then hops back to your opponent

if you don't make contact with it b4 it lands back on their side it is there point but in this one and only case you can reach over and make contact with the ball before it lands on there side again

i guess this is very uncommon for recreational play

i found this out on a quetsionare that i took from about.com
So you can reach over the net and tap it? Interesting!

origmarm
08-23-2007, 12:12 AM
So you can reach over the net and tap it? Interesting!

This is correct. The rule states that a player's racquet may only pass the net line AFTER he has struck the ball or AFTER the ball has bounced on his side of the net. In no circumstances may you touch the net.