PDA

View Full Version : Returns

Leon22
08-21-2007, 10:50 PM
It seems like when I watch the pros return a big serve they are just blocking the serve for the return. Is this true?

I just tried practicing my returns by blocking, standing closer in and taking a step forward when the server serves. I would block in a the direction that I thought would put the server in a defensive position so that they wouldn't be poised to hit a winner fo my return.

If the serve is smaller (second serve) I stand a bit more back and take a small swing at it to make the return a little more difficult to handle.

Am I taking the right approach? Is blocking okay for a return?

aznspongehead
08-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Umm, if you're doing everything you say you're doing, then your results should speak for themselves.
You can't expect yourself to really swing at a strong first serve and be consistent, and you certainly are able to attack the 2nd serve a bit more.

So yeah, in other words, you're doing exactly what you should be doing; unless of course if you're just extremely good at taking a big whack at fast shots.

Leon22
08-21-2007, 11:03 PM
Oh definetly I hit 3 winners against my opponent simply by blocking the serve so that it went down the opposite sideline of where the service came from.

I just wanted to know if it was sound technique.

Leon22
08-21-2007, 11:08 PM
ooops.....

Vision84
08-22-2007, 01:54 AM
blocking the serve is a great technique, especially on fast serves. Using the pace of the serve should give you sufficient pace back. Just remember on a return of serve you don't need a full backswing unless it is a really slow serve.

burosky
08-22-2007, 08:13 AM
It's not exactly a block all the time. They actually only block if they truly have zero time to do anything. Otherwise, they do a short backswing and give it a full follow through. This gives them better directional control. Blocking fast serves has the tendency to float the returns.

Check out the video learning library from the USTA website at http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=110778

Click on the player developement digital library link to access the videos. Aside from the returns of serve, it also shows the other strokes.

These are high-speed videos that you can view frame by frame to see how different pros hit their returns. This will give you a better idea about what I was trying to describe.

whatsgood4u
08-22-2007, 08:17 AM
you will need a good heavy racquet for this tactic.

Leon22
08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Well thats it, when I watch the pros, it seems that a lot of the time (although not all the time) their return does float quite a bit. Mine floats, but I still get placement an although it floats a bit it still penetrates pretty deep.

But, I'll watch the videos anywyas, thanks.

cliff
08-23-2007, 01:48 AM
You can check out loads of returns at www.procomparetennis.net it is free and has loads of pro examples of returns

S&V
08-23-2007, 02:31 AM
i rarely block, if someone smacks the serve at me i smack it even harder :D i can honestly say my returns are very good

esm
08-23-2007, 03:02 AM
i rarely block, if someone smacks the serve at me i smack it even harder :D i can honestly say my returns are very good

congrates!
you must have really good eyes and quick hands/footwork :)