PDA

View Full Version : Will Federer win the French Open in 2008?

ninman
08-22-2007, 01:43 AM
I know a lot of people say his time is running out, but I think after 1 semi and 2 finals in three years with all three defeats to Nadal, surely he has to make a breakthrough one year?

The other thing is, I personally believe that he was closer to beating Nadal this year than last year. The match score doesn't look that way, but the first set in particular could very easily have gone his way, he had 10 break points and for whatever reason didn't convert even one. There were things in the match in general that just didn't go his way. Had those things gone his way, I think we'd be talking about a calendar year GS heading into the US Open.

Thing is though, that on break point Nadal will either come up with a big first serve, hit a drop shot for the first time in the whole match, or just not miss in general. Then Federer will eventually go for too much and make an Unforced Error, or get out of position and Nadal will hit a winner. I really feel for Federer because it must incredibly frustrating to know that you got so close and yet so far. What do you all think? Will he do it next year and finally conquer his Everest?

Rhino
08-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Yes he will win it.

There you go, all you had to do was ask.

ninman
08-22-2007, 02:08 AM
He'd better win or I might send him some flour in an envelope through the post. Just kidding.

daddy
08-22-2007, 02:59 AM
I think he was not so close in 07 than in 06. I dont think I ever saw him in that mood, he was like a beaten guy from the moment he turned up on court, like there was no belief in the win. For example, it looked different one year before, where I really though he will destroy nadal after first set.

I think hes got it left somewhere, he will most certanly concentrate on FO but lets hope for him that his time is not gone for clay.

camille
08-22-2007, 03:11 AM
He will never win French Open, with or without Nadal.

ninman
08-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I think he was not so close in 07 than in 06. I dont think I ever saw him in that mood, he was like a beaten guy from the moment he turned up on court, like there was no belief in the win. For example, it looked different one year before, where I really though he will destroy nadal after first set.

I think hes got it left somewhere, he will most certanly concentrate on FO but lets hope for him that his time is not gone for clay.

I think he lost it much more quickly in 06 than in 07, but to be honest it's not surprising that it happened, because when you've had all those chances and break points and failed to convert it wears you down and you get very negative. In 06 though he was actually winning the match 6-1 in the first, and then his game just seemed to fall apart.

ninman
08-22-2007, 03:15 AM

Clearly you must watch a lot of tennis.

daddy
08-22-2007, 03:16 AM
Confident statement, having in mind that last 3 times he was pretty flawless against all the players except nadal who beat him those 3 times, and opon top of this , he always ( almost ) comes to the finals of clay court masters tournaments, where he also faces nadal, even wins like in hamburg or has match points like in rome 06. SO he is EASILLY nr2 player in the world on clay. If there was no nadal he would have bagged 3 titles by now.

Maybe you think depressed Gaudio would cause a problem or injured Kuerten or maybe lost old cat Corria, or maybe suspended Puerta or Canas ?

ninman
08-22-2007, 03:21 AM
Interestingly until he lost to Djokovic in Montreal his last 6 losses in finals were all against Nadal and of those 5 were on Clay. He played 3 tournies in 06 on Clay and made 3 finals, played 4 tournies in 07 made 3 finals and won one (for once).

The only, rather large, hurdle that Federer has to overcome before he can truly dominate the clay is Nadal. If he could beat Nadal regularly on the dirt then he would be supreme on every surface.

West Coast Ace
08-22-2007, 03:22 AM
He will never win French Open, with or without Nadal.So making the finals two straight years and the semis the year before that, each year losing to the eventual champion, was a fluke?

Clearly you must watch a lot of tennis.Beat me to it.

Nadal's nagging, and seemingly growing list of, injuries could make this very interesting. Even if they don't sideline him, if they lower his play even a little bit, suddenly Fed's chances look pretty good.

camille
08-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have grudging admiration for Federer. Clearly, he's number 2 on clay currently, but by next year, there's no guaranteee that he'll make it through the rounds so easily on clay, what with younger, hungry contenders coming up.

caulcano
08-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have grudging admiration for Federer. Clearly, he's number 2 on clay currently, but by next year, there's no guaranteee that he'll make it through the rounds so easily on clay, what with younger, hungry contenders coming up.

To suggest Federer or even Nadal will 'struggle' against 'younger, hungry contenders' next year is absurd. These experienced players don't suddenly lose their advantage and play crap overnight (barring injuries).

Michelangelo
08-22-2007, 03:55 AM
If he does, I think he's most likely lose all the other 3 G.S. then.

ninman
08-22-2007, 04:02 AM
If he does, I think he's most likely lose all the other 3 G.S. then.

I would say that for him that's a worthy sacrifice.

camille
08-22-2007, 04:17 AM
To suggest Federer or even Nadal will 'struggle' against 'younger, hungry contenders' next year is absurd. These experienced players don't suddenly lose their advantage and play crap overnight (barring injuries).

Regrettably, injuries may be a factor for Nadal. I dearly hope he'll stay healthy for he's one of my favourite players, very focussed, talented and exciting to watch.

As for Federer, it's more of a gut feeling I have. Okay, I deserve the heat for going outright and saying he will "never" win. I apologise if I've offended you all. I will reword it by saying it could be his one elusive grand slam, as was the case for Pete Sampras (who is my favourite player of all time).

caulcano
08-22-2007, 04:39 AM
I would say that for him that's a worthy sacrifice.

Hmmm, that's a dilemma I'd like.

ktownva
08-22-2007, 05:19 AM
Yes, because he is going to accomplish the Golden Slam in 2008. All four majors and the Olympic Gold Medal. He will begin to decline after that.

ninman
08-22-2007, 05:49 AM
If he did the "Golden Slam" he'd only be the second player either male or female to do it. Interestingly he's about to break the all time male and female record for most consecutive weeks as number 1. That is currently held by Steffi Graf at 186 weeks, come Monday he'll be 187 weeks.

Joeyg
08-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Not unless they change the surface to grass, or Nadal dies.

federer envies me
08-22-2007, 06:38 AM
I think federer can win the FO if he gets a good coach to help him elevate to the next level

Tchocky
08-22-2007, 07:06 AM
He's lost to Nadal in 4 sets the last 3 times. As long as Roger has to play Rafa, he has very little chance.

tennis_hand
08-22-2007, 07:13 AM
go to hell and talk about FO next year. We are enjoying the hard court season. don't mention that red dirt!

kngoPITT
08-22-2007, 07:50 AM
As much as I want him to win, I don't see it happening next year unless Nadal has lingering injuries from now. It seems like Fed gets very negative in the FO final for the past two years I've watched. Well obviously he would in this years because of all the early break chances he had. I think if he can change his mentality (try to stay positive more) and strategy (do something if possible to lessen the times Nadal forces a shortball with the Nadal FH to Fed BH exchange).

whatsgood4u
08-22-2007, 07:52 AM
yes, yes he will win the french

crazylevity
08-22-2007, 08:12 AM
I think federer can win the FO if he gets a good coach to help him elevate to the next level

pray tell, what level would THAT be?

Would he double bagel everybody, and straight set Nadal? :D

J-man
08-22-2007, 09:21 AM
He'll probably get to the final. But I really think the longer and longer and takes him the lower his chances are. I think this year was his year to make a run at it. But he really looked tired and flustered in the final. Nadal is just to tough on many levels for Federer.

RacquetGoesBoom
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I think that he will...he just needs to get over that mental block that Nadal is just any other pro on tour. The way that Federer composes himself while on court with Nadal makes his seem like he's scared of Nadal. But this is my personal take on Federer. Honestly, Federer has the skill and potential to beat Nadal...he just needs that mental drive.

fastdunn
08-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Who knows. But he is definitely the best clay courter, I've ever seen
in last 20 years, who has not won French Open yet.

Nadal_Freak
08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Nope. Nadal owns him there. I can't think of a tournament that favors Nadal more. Maybe Monte Carlo.

anointedone
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
It would take a drop in Nadals form, fitness, health, or something for it to happen. Not only is Nadal the superior clay courter, but Federer has psychological block about playing Nadal at the French as well. Combine the two and he has almost no chance to beat Nadal at the French Open, barring something wrong with Nadal.

Turning Pro
08-22-2007, 10:09 AM
If it isn't next year i doubt he can compete against a fit a well prepared Nadal anymore.

coloskier
08-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Which "hungry" youngsters are you talking about? The only one who EVER gives Federer a tough time on clay is Nadal, unless you talk about 1 or 2 fluke wins from a nobody like Volandri. Nadal dominates on clay, there is no doubt. But, except for Nadal, Federer dominates everyone else. Even Djokovic does not like clay as much as everything else.

fastdunn
08-22-2007, 10:41 AM
But clay is very neutralizing and it's very hard to dominate for
consecutive years. Roger will get a chance in couple of years.

urban
08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I think, time is running out on him. And i would call Rios a better clay courter than Federer.

TheModernEra
08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
The are 2 sides to the Nadal/Federer French Open matchup...each equally as significant.

1) Federer exerted a lot of physical and mental energy to try to capture that title, this year....and it didn't happen...and he anguished over that match...until Wimbledon. He faces a mental block against Nadal at the French....and he and everyone else knows it....

2) Nadal has the opposite mind-set. He is a mental and physical beast out there against Federer. Watch the match again...so few unforced errors on the big/important points...so few double faults....very few mistakes. And while Federer didn't necessarily choke, he was not up to Nadal's standard....Nadal owns the French and he, Federer, and everyone else knows it...

I am hoping that in 2008, Federer wins the French, and Nadal Wimbledon...just to mix it up and keep this forum and tennis going strong..

But again, this is hard court season....lets get back to the US Open....

caulcano
08-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I think, time is running out on him. And i would call Rios a better clay courter than Federer.

troll alert.

Chang
08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I think Nadal is still better than him on clay.

Rhino
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM

he could only win it with Nadal if they teamed up for doubles.
now there's a thought!

cheny89
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
he will always have nadal in the way

same thing with roddick he wil always have federer in the way that being said he also loses to nadal and djokovic

FarFed
08-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Whether he will or not win at French '08 is just speculation. Some food for thought: If he wins USO '07 and Aus '08, then a win at French '08 will make it magical #14. If not, then #14 will have to be postponed till Wim '08 which will raise the stakes VERY much. It will be interesting.

ninman
08-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Whether he will or not win at French '08 is just speculation. Some food for thought: If he wins USO '07 and Aus '08, then a win at French '08 will make it magical #14. If not, then #14 will have to be postponed till Wim '08 which will raise the stakes VERY much. It will be interesting.

If, more like when. Just kidding.

cheny89
08-23-2007, 06:56 AM

I would really like to see roger get #15 at wimbledon i hope lol would be great

and have 7 wimbledons in a row ...wow