PDA

View Full Version : OHBH down the line

LACOMP
08-22-2007, 03:58 AM
Hello
I am trying to gain more accuracy with my one handed. I can put it pretty much where I want to but to hit it down the line, all I know is that I have to take it a little later than I would to hit a cross-court. Although this technique works, because I wait a little longer I always feel that I take too long. I am looking for any tip allowing me to hit my ohbh dtl as soon as possible.
I've been looking at the pros, and their ohbh dtl seem to have the same (huge) speed.
What did I miss?
Thx a lot.

Mad iX
08-22-2007, 04:41 AM
Step into the ball.

burosky
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Hitting it late to go down the line is like hitting an inside out. Instead of hitting it late, you are better off pointing your racket hand shoulder in the direction you want to send the ball to and hitting the ball at your normal contact point.

chess9
08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Hitting it late to go down the line is like hitting an inside out. Instead of hitting it late, you are better off pointing your racket hand shoulder in the direction you want to send the ball to and hitting the ball at your normal contact point.

Yes, and for right handers it may curve a bit from right to left, so aim farther to the right. If you hit it properly, it can be a bear to retrieve when hit hard and deep. It's a money shot for me.

-Robert

burosky
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Yes, and for right handers it may curve a bit from right to left, so aim farther to the right. If you hit it properly, it can be a bear to retrieve when hit hard and deep. It's a money shot for me.

-Robert

Are you describing some kind of a slice shot? A typical top spin or flat shot doesn't curve. It's a good idea not to aim too close to the lines though to increase the margin of error.

xz_joey
08-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Are you describing some kind of a slice shot? A typical top spin or flat shot doesn't curve. It's a good idea not to aim too close to the lines though to increase the margin of error.

Hes describing an inside out backhand. Often times, one handed backhanders will brush the side of the ball in a windshield wiper motion which causes the ball to curve slightly so its not necessarily a slice shot.

Bagumbawalla
08-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Go to a practice wall and place a marker of some sort (about a foot square) just above the net line.

Hitting at about a medium pace, drive through the ball with your backhand toward the target. Position yourself so the ball rebounds in a regular and consistant manner (or you could use a ball machine and hit down the doubles alley.

As you stroke the ball, practice varying the contact point slightly. Eventually you will find a point where everything seems to come together- direction, power, control, balance, feel, accuracy, "pop". Nobody can really tell you over the internet exactly where and how to hit the ball, except in a general way. Eventually, you need to experiment a bit while looking for that clean, fluid feeling.

When you think you have the footwork and mechanics down, begin alternating (aiming at the same target) between your forehand and backhand. Concentrate on smooth motion and transfer of weight.

Then, using the same motion, begin increasing the speed of your stroke (hitting the ball harder). If you stroke has been well-grooved, the basic motion/mechanics will not change or feel awkward.

When you feel comfortable doing the above, begin experimenting with adding more or less spin (mainly topspin) still aiming for the same area.

Eventually, with enough repition and drilling, the strokes will come easily, without conscious thought, even in a pressure situation.