PDA

View Full Version : Is the Tennis Channel any good?

ElSuegro
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
It is offered in my area now, but I'm wondering if other people like it. I might wait until after the Open, since USA is covering it so well.

whatsgood4u
08-22-2007, 08:43 AM
does io digital cable offer it?

NoSkillzAndy
08-22-2007, 10:06 AM
It's ok.

It is nice to have an extra alternative to watch when nothing else is on. They show a decent amount of tennis, mostly the smaller tournaments, or the matches of the bigger tournaments that the networks don't want to show. I like that they do show doubles matches pretty frequently, which is nice because without the Tennis Channel covering them I'd hardly get to see any professional dubs.

Pro's:
+ More tennis coverage than you'd get without it (obviously!)
+ Exclusive coverage of many of the smaller tournys that the networks don't pick up
+ Bonus coverage of the bigger tournaments
+ Actually being able to watch doubles matches
+ Being able to watch non-American Davis Cup matches *gasp*
+ Exclusive coverage of World Team Tennis
+ Classic tennis matches are interesting to watch every now and then

Con's:
- Usually costs extra to get it in your cable lineup
- Requires digital cable or satellite
- Way too much filler material that is shown ad nausium
- No new filler material. It's like they realized it was a waste, yet they keep showing the few shows they've produced over and OVER
- Not enough tennis. Really. It's that simple. If you saw how much filler material they show on a daily basis it'd make you sick. They could just reshow previous matches or show something new, but nooooo.
- No college tennis.
- Not too much different from the networks with how they cover tournaments. Sure, they do show a little bit more doubles, but other than that it's the same stuff. Lots of American Men's & Women's singles coverage, but not much else. For example I was hoping to be able to watch Donald Young win the junior Wimbeldon this year, but they didn't even show highlights from any of his matches...
- Very little instructional shows and the ones they do have are usually shown at like 5am when I am 0% likely to be awake

In conclusion, it's not perfect by any means, but it's definately worth getting if you are a tennis fan and you already have digital or satellite cable.

Sean Dugan
08-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Depends.....what is the incremental cost? TC is okay. They tend to repeat the same programs over and over like many channels.

I had it for awhile and they kept showing the same stuff every few hours plus it was all pretty inane.

If I got it for free, I'd watch it occasionally, but if you have to subscribe to a package that results in shelling out another $200/year as was the case with my Dish deal; it is not worth it.

ElSuegro
08-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow, nice analysis Andy. The cost is minimal, less than $5/month. It just seems like so much on TV is trash, that if I have to watch it, at least the trash could be about tennis ;)

Craig Sheppard
08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
It's ok.

It is nice to have an extra alternative to watch when nothing else is on. They show a decent amount of tennis, mostly the smaller tournaments, or the matches of the bigger tournaments that the networks don't want to show. I like that they do show doubles matches pretty frequently, which is nice because without the Tennis Channel covering them I'd hardly get to see any professional dubs.

Pro's:
+ More tennis coverage than you'd get without it (obviously!)
+ Exclusive coverage of many of the smaller tournys that the networks don't pick up
+ Bonus coverage of the bigger tournaments
+ Actually being able to watch doubles matches
+ Being able to watch non-American Davis Cup matches *gasp*
+ Exclusive coverage of World Team Tennis
+ Classic tennis matches are interesting to watch every now and then

Con's:
- Usually costs extra to get it in your cable lineup
- Requires digital cable or satellite
- Way too much filler material that is shown ad nausium
- No new filler material. It's like they realized it was a waste, yet they keep showing the few shows they've produced over and OVER
- Not enough tennis. Really. It's that simple. If you saw how much filler material they show on a daily basis it'd make you sick. They could just reshow previous matches or show something new, but nooooo.
- No college tennis.
- Not too much different from the networks with how they cover tournaments. Sure, they do show a little bit more doubles, but other than that it's the same stuff. Lots of American Men's & Women's singles coverage, but not much else. For example I was hoping to be able to watch Donald Young win the junior Wimbeldon this year, but they didn't even show highlights from any of his matches...
- Very little instructional shows and the ones they do have are usually shown at like 5am when I am 0% likely to be awake

In conclusion, it's not perfect by any means, but it's definately worth getting if you are a tennis fan and you already have digital or satellite cable.

Nice job.

I've had the TC for about 3 years now... I agree w/ Andy's assessment. Especially the part about filler material. You'd think they'd just re-run matches rather than all the crap they put on... but they don't. My BIGGEST PEEVE with them though is that they don't follow their listings. It might say "Center Court" or "No Strings" in the online cable guide, but when you turn it on they're showing a match! What the hell!

It's not perfect, but I only pay an extra $2-3 a month for it, so for me the Masters coverage alone is worth it. During the early rounds (Mon-Thu) of Masters tournaments they usually have 8+ hours of coverage on. That's worth it for me. And the Masters commentators are the best in the biz.

xtremerunnerars
08-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Comcast has it as part of a sports package here that is only 4 bucks a month, and you get NFL network, soccer channels, ttc, and a bunch of other throwaway sports networks.

Now that sopranos is over and entourage is winding down, there's no point to have HBO so i'm going to try and convince my parents to get the sports package for a few months.

Bodacious DVT
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
i'd get it.

TTC is currently under expansion. they're getting more and more money, and with that will come higher quality material. they have the rights to roland garros and i also believe they also share the us open with espn2.