PDA

View Full Version : Customizing a Table Tennis paddle

andyluong2001
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Just wondering if you guys ever tried putting lead tape on the handle or an overgrip on a table tennis paddle. I tried it and it felt pretty good.

whatsgood4u
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I'll have to try this later.

tenniskid3119
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I've done the overgrip thing. I use the left over wilson pro, if you wrap it tight, and cut it off. And I've used tournagrip. Both feel pretty cool. Never tried the lead tape, but I want to now :)

cujays
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
i use tourna grip on my paddles
iv used head tape but not lead tape
i like it

slicefox
08-22-2007, 06:04 PM
why would you need lead on a ping pong paddle? not like weight is going to give you more power... the power comes from the wrist and there's plenty of it for a 0.1 oz ball.

OrangeOne
08-22-2007, 06:12 PM
why would you need lead on a ping pong paddle? not like weight is going to give you more power... the power comes from the wrist and there's plenty of it for a 0.1 oz ball.

My thoughts exactly.... wrist is meant to move the paddle as quickly as possible, why on earth would you want to lead up a paddle?

Andres
08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
One word: Posers.

I do build up the handle, inreasing the gripsize. But leading up a paddle sounds pretty much nonsense.

yodudedudeyo
08-22-2007, 07:22 PM
what about making the paddle thinner somehow? ya know, to increase the spin. or removing the rubber and replacing it with sand paper? anyone try anything like this before?

tennispro11
08-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow too much thinking about table tennis. Weird. :confused:

Myng
08-23-2007, 03:09 AM
It's all about technique not equipement.

dave333
08-23-2007, 04:33 AM
I found a $45 ping pong paddle in chinatown...maybe it was heavier or something?

goober
08-23-2007, 04:51 AM
Pips out one side and super spinny rubber on the other always worked for me.

AAAA
08-23-2007, 05:14 AM
Advanced male players often use heavier blades(paddles, bats) than typical recreational players because the heavier blades create more ball speed which is important for advanced attacking players.

Andres
08-23-2007, 05:39 AM
One thing is to bulk it up with weight. Though, the weight difference is minimal. Thicked rubbers, heavier bats, but lead tape? Leading it up is a waste of money and time.

If he wants to increase the weight of the paddle, try adding some electric tape. Or a simple overgrip.

martin8768
08-23-2007, 06:12 AM
its no nonsense who ever wrote that, its not useless, if any of you were real table tennis players you would know that their is side tape(the tape that wraps around the head of the paddle to protect the rubber and blade) that is weighted to add about 10~12 grams adding more weight and headheavyness and more power, trust me it makes a big difference and tennis lead tape is even heavier so i would put a strip all the way around, experiment till you have something powerful but make sure you don't hit it out all the time, you can also hit more topspin.

this is what i do, i have a headheavy paddle to begin with, i added 11 grams of side tape around the racket, the ball was going out more and it added a lot of power, i used even more topspin now my shots are great because the tape increased my power and topspin. do not put a overgrip you lose the fell for the ball your hand should be right on the wood handle.

AAAA
08-23-2007, 06:17 AM
its no nonsense who ever wrote that, its not useless, if any of you were real table tennis players you would know that their is side tape(the tape that wraps around the head of the paddle to protect the rubber and blade) that is weighted to add about 10~12 grams adding more weight and headheavyness and more power, trust me it makes a big difference and tennis lead tape is even heavier so i would put a strip all the way around, experiment till you have something powerful but make sure you don't hit it out all the time, you can also hit more topspin.

this is what i do, i have a headheavy paddle to begin with, i added 11 grams of side tape around the racket, the ball was going out more and it added a lot of power, i used even more topspin now my shots are great because the tape increased my power and topspin. do not put a overgrip you lose the fell for the ball your hand should be right on the wood handle.

Word. It's not only tennis racquets that benefit from big sweet spots and heavier blades/racquets.

forzainter
08-23-2007, 07:42 AM
i thought the lead tape thing was just for a bit of a laugh, didnt think anything serious was intended

slicefox
08-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Dude, the spin comes totally from wrist motion. The quicker you move your wrist, the more powerfull hits and spins you can do. Adding weight slows down your wrist because of inertia. It's basic physics.

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM

11 GRAMS? That's a LOT of tape, a phenomenal amount. Many people don't add that much lead to a tennis racquet, an object that is heavier than a paddle to start with.

I somewhat think you're dreaming....

tennispro11
08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
11 GRAMS? That's a LOT of tape, a phenomenal amount. Many people don't add that much lead to a tennis racquet, an object that is heavier than a paddle to start with.

I somewhat think you're dreaming....

Or smoking something...............