PDA

View Full Version : tension recommendation please

sruckauf
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I am using POG OS, and I usually string it at 70# with soft string. I definitely like a firmer stringbed feel.

I am going to try a poly for the first time in a while.. probably a year. Going with Topspin Poly Polar 16 in the mains, with some soft cross such as Gosen OG Micro or a multi, also 16 gauge.

I could use a recommendation for tension of the mains and crosses!

Thanks.

sruckauf
08-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I've read a number of posts that say that PP doesn't benefit from 10% tension drop recommendation of most polys. I read a post by Dire Desire that mentioned to string PP at the same tension that you string other synguts.

So, I guess I'll string it up at 70# ? Yipes.

Sounds like a lot.. but this is a 107 sq. in. racket head.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

tbini87
08-22-2007, 01:53 PM
you might want to start by dropping 5% then, and move up if needed. i think that is smarter than starting too tight and either hurting your arm or having to cut it out. once you break it in it should play well. good luck!

sruckauf
08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
you might want to start by dropping 5% then, and move up if needed. i think that is smarter than starting too tight and either hurting your arm or having to cut it out. once you break it in it should play well. good luck!

Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

cheny89
08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
try in the 60's range maybe

sruckauf
08-31-2007, 10:15 AM
I've read a number of posts that say that PP doesn't benefit from 10% tension drop recommendation of most polys. I read a post by Dire Desire that mentioned to string PP at the same tension that you string other synguts.

So, I guess I'll string it up at 70# ? Yipes.

Sounds like a lot.. but this is a 107 sq. in. racket head.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Update on this. I can confirm that this is totally accurate. I experimented stringing Poly Polar at 10% and 5% under my normal tension I use for synguts/multis. Poly Polar was too elastic (powerful) for me. I strung it at the same tension I use for everything else, and it settled in about perfect for this oversize frame.

Coming from softer non-poly strings, I like Poly Polar quite a bit, but dang I actually think it's too soft for me which surprises the hell out of me since my experience with polys in the past have felt so harsh. I ordered a few other polys that are supposedly crisper than Poly Polar. (Pro Line II and Competition, SPPP Pure, Pro Red Code, Silverstring ) Guess I just needed to try some of the newer generation copolys. I'm definitely going to start with a 10% drop though, because I'd really like to get my tension down, but still have a crisp feel.

Any comments on this would be helpful. Thanks.

AceofBase
08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Have one but try two pound less from before or alittle more by 3 or so. Trust me its going to feel like a board with less power from before since i have the triple threat OS version with prince polygut sting with this you can get alittle more pop and feel. Poly is not soft its stiff so dont think its play like syntic gut, what i mean its hard as rock but if you hit it hard enough its feel like a pillow.