PDA

View Full Version : Does playing with dead tennis balls throw off your game?

Oxford
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Last night neither I nor my partner had new balls so we used some old dead one. (better to play with those then not at all-right?)

Anyway, they really messed up my timing and technique. I am developing 3.0 to 3.5 player and working on topspin and these buggers would hardly bounce. I would be all set up anticipating the normal bounce from the trajectory and they would just dribble down low...arrrhggg. So I could not really get UNDER the ball like i was programming.

Can you adapt well to dead tennis balls or does it significantly throw off your "A" game?

Thanks
OX

wihamilton
08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
definitely messes your game up. don't play w/dead balls :)

Big Fed
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Its messes it up so bad. throws off where up stand cause the ball dosent bounce and ur timing just gets shizzity

galatti
08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
better NOT to play with those then not at all :)

Hot Sauce
08-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Oh definitely. I find it brutal quality tennis and not good for your game.

lethalfang
08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Man, HATE those low bouncers.

sapient007
08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
it will throw it off.. but i rather go out and swing than take the sideline.

if you don't have money to get balls (like my teenage yrs). just go for the wilson pressureless ones from walmart. they actually bounce okay and will prob will do you better than dead balls.

LuckyR
08-22-2007, 12:47 PM
it will throw it off.. but i rather go out and swing than take the sideline.

if you don't have money to get balls (like my teenage yrs). just go for the wilson pressureless ones from walmart. they actually bounce okay and will prob will do you better than dead balls.

Best answer...

In D Zone
08-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Once you get used to playing dead balls... you'll get a shock treatment on how fast and heavy the new balls are.
You game will produce a bunch ERRORS after ERRORS after ERRORS - overhitting on all of your strokes including volleys, you'll screw up your timing and footwork.
Basically you are toast, by the time you get adjusted... you have wasted your time and your game.

JRstriker12
08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
No,

Just learn to adjust to conditions. I can't count the number of clinics I've been to where most of the ball buckets were full of half dead balls. The balls were dead, but the repetitions in the drills still helped my game. For some reason my doubles team manager also gave out used balls for warm-ups??? Never figured that one out.

Anyway, I've just learned to adjust a bit to compensate for new balls and deadballs either way.

Also think about this, balls don't stay "out of the can fresh" for more than a set or set and a half - why do you think they change balls every 7 or 9 games on tour? So being able to adjust as the balls go a bit flat... or if it gets windy... or if it's hot a humid and the balls are flying long... or (name variable that can mess up your game) can be a big help.

If you can't play with deadballs at all, go out and buy a pack with multiple cans and hide two cans as your emergency supply so you always have a fresh can on hand. I keep one or two cans in reserve in my car.

mucat
08-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Dead ball is bad, very bad. You wait for a big fat juicy lob to bounce so you can smash it good, then the ball bounce no higher than the net and you have to dig up the lob after the bounce.

koopa_troopa
08-22-2007, 02:54 PM
It depends on how dead the balls are. I've seen some which are bounce decently, but are just awful to other. If things are really bad, they will barely bounce properly. I have actually gotten used to playing with bad balls, but even I have limits.

Steady Eddy
08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
Play with decent balls. But take heart, they're cheaper than ever! Back in the 80's I read that tennis balls have been about $2 a can since 1900. That was alot of money in 1900. Even in 1980 it was more than it is now. People used to buy contraptions you'd pump, for storing them. No one bothers now. I can almost always find Penn or Wilson for $1.99 a can. My court time is often free. So we tennis players have it pretty good.

What if we were playing golf? Put a few cans in your tennis bag and always be ready to provide new balls.

jck01
08-22-2007, 08:10 PM
. . . Just learn to adjust to conditions. . .The balls were dead, but the repetitions in the drills still helped my game. . .

Anyway, I've just learned to adjust a bit to compensate for new balls and deadballs either way.

I agree with JRstriker. With low bouncers, you can at least practice your slices and chip shots.

I've used pressureless balls before but I don't like them. It feels very different when I hit it compared with hitting regular balls. The used balls are more similar to regular balls, I think.

bizzle
08-22-2007, 08:13 PM
rule 1 of tennis: always keep a dog ball on you so you can get a free point with a slice serve