PDA

View Full Version : serve stratagey

iplaybetter
08-22-2007, 12:35 PM
my parents are upset because i have a huge, but inconsistent first, and a decent second
is it right to improve the first, or hit a dinky first that is just a second with a little pop

burosky
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Why are your partents the one upset?

koopa_troopa
08-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Your post confuses me..

Why are your parents upset? Are they counting on you getting a tennis scholarship or something?

You ask if its alright to improve your first. Of course you should try improving your first serve.

I don't know what you mean by "dinky first that is just a second with a little pop". You said you have a conistant second, so with more pop how is that going to be "dinky"?

LuckyR
08-22-2007, 12:51 PM
my parents are upset because i have a huge, but inconsistent first, and a decent second
is it right to improve the first, or hit a dinky first that is just a second with a little pop

You don't say if you are playing singles or doubles. Assuming singles, and assuming that "inconsistent" mean < 50% in, the I would recommend dialing back on your first serve speed and working on your motion then later dial the pace back up on it. If your first is > 50% in, then keep it and work on getting your second up to snuff.

iplaybetter
08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
i am mad at loosing they are mad at the strategy i think
this is singles, and in this match 50% would be very generous
also the second is decent in that it is not to inconsistent, and is not easy to be manipulated for control of the point

Tennismastery
08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
The quality of your service game will be more defined by the quality of your second serve. If you can't put pressure on your opponent through an effective second serve, you won't be very successful against better players who will eat up your second serve and spit you out for lunch!

Tennismastery
08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
The quality of your service game will be more defined by the quality of your second serve. If you can't put pressure on your opponent through an effective second serve, you won't be very successful against better players who will eat up your second serve and spit you out for lunch!

Oh, and a great first serve is founded in the swing principles of a great second serve.