PDA

View Full Version : Is Federer losing his killer instinct?

plain jane
08-22-2007, 02:20 PM
It just seems that recently he can't seem to close out matches as dominant as before. Against Djokivic he pretty much had the first set in the bag but gave it away. Against Baghdatis he could not close out the match serving at 5-4 (although the heat could have contributed to this). He is letting players back in to matches too easily. Even against Canas earlier he was up a break in the third and gave that away too. Is he mellowing?

blakealltheway
08-22-2007, 03:06 PM
I do agree that it seems the pressure of these young players such as Nadal and Djokovic seems to be getting to Federer. Also his 2 losses to Canas could have affected his confidence level. Oh yeah and also the one to Andy Murray last year.

Vision84
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Federer gets tight. It is clear he is feeling a lot of pressure. Look how tentative he seemed to be getting playing Nadal in the Wimbledon final. I seem to remember him playing Baghdatis and he was 40-0 up on serve after 3 big first serves and set point and he choked the game away and missed some pretty straightforward shots.

Indrid Cold
08-22-2007, 03:35 PM
He really hasn't been quite the same player since the losses to Canas. I remember watching him before and it almost seemed like he gave away most of his games and beat the opponent whenever he felt like it. It was like he could make any shot at any time. These days, it almost seems at times like he doesn't consider opponents real threats. For instance, the Djokovic match. He lost the first set and turned on his game for the second. After that, though, he just assumed he would win it because he's used to players giving him the match. I've seen spurts of greatness from him (when he broke Nadal's serve at the French or the 5th set of wimbledon) but it's not there like it used to be. Maybe it was the AO that made him a little cocky. Who knows.

daddy
08-22-2007, 04:40 PM
He is still here and winning. Pressure is a normal thing and it increases when people talk about records and nothing else all the time. He is human. But still a pretty hot player if not the best ever. Id say he will only pick up the game because he is being challanged more lately.

Fee
08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
The few cracks that Federer has shown this year should be some sort of reminder to what Pete accomplished when he held number one for six years in a row. Admittedly, Pete was more than happy to let it go during the year as long as he could find a way to get it back at the end. Federer has a carefully calculated schedule to play the least amount of tournaments and still rack up points, but he has played a lot of tennis this year (and the years before), so the fact that he is dragging a bit this year really isn't that much of a cause for alarm.

I was kind of surprised he lost to Djokovic the way he did. It was the first time that I've seen him look surprised at the way the ball was coming off his racquet, as if he wasn't in complete control (and I'm sure all those shanked forehands didn't help, what is up with that?). He won Cincy without playing his best tennis, which is kind of scary in a way.

dubsplayer
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Yes, he sucks now and should retire.

;-)

Dilettante
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I think he's just too good.

But the four last years of dominance have been just amazingly abnormal. Just Nadal was putting pressure on him, but Nadal is kind of phenomenon too (at least in his own field). Imagine the last 3-4 years without a Nadal, with Fed taking Roland Garros and some more Masters. It would have been an even more insulting dominance.

In 2007 he has dominated too, but some signs appeared of that other players than Nadal could put pressure on him in the future. Sooner or later it had to happen. He will dominate 2008 I think, but without the "Federer magical aura". That's normal.

The tennis guy
08-22-2007, 07:25 PM
He won Cincy without playing his best tennis, which is kind of scary in a way.

Exactly. He didn't play his best tennis at the two masters, won one got to final in the other one. If he turns it on at US Open like he did at Australia Open, watch out.

Ripper
08-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Federer's instinct and talent remain intact. He's just growing older with each passing day. Tennis is cruel.

saram
08-22-2007, 07:34 PM
NO, he is not!

FarFed
08-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Honestly, I think he's simply gunning for the slams to get to #14, so I think we shouldn't expect him to be too casual at the slams. I also think that once he attains that he might actually free himself even more and play naturally because he'll having nothing major to lose.

FEDEXP
08-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Things change; he's 26 now. Look at how different Hewitt's current game is (though he doesn't win as much).

AM28143
08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Physically, as well as mentally, Federer is begining to struggle with the long grind of the tennis season. He is advancing in age (26, which is old in tennis) and realizes that he cannot continue to give everything he has every week. He realizes that in order to keep his promise and continue to play until the 2012 Olympics he must take more time off and concentrate his focus on Slams. Federer started off the year by taking an extra week off and not playing in a ATP tournament before the Australian Open. During the March hard court season he spent an unusual amount of time socializing with Tiger Woods and Peter Sampras. After the French Open he went home instead of warming up for Wimbledon in Halle. As a consequence, Federer is losing more matches, winning less Master Series events and losing some ranking points. But his more lenient schedule has not costed him a Slam yet. It seems to me that Federer, as Sampras did in his later years, is saving the best for last. Despite losing in the final Federer played his most consistent clay court tennis at the French Open. In a final at Wimbledon where he was suprisingly pushed he found an extra geer in the fifth set to take home the crown again. The days of Federer dominating Master Series as he has the last few years are most likely over, but I still do not see evidence that Federer is ready to give up a Slam quite yet.

fastdunn
08-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I think the difference is that he is more focused on slams.
Between slams he rests more and thus more rusty.
I would say he is still in his top form.
(I can't help thinking there's too much coincidence with his visiting Sampras, the master of
"peaking at the right time". The whole thing started after that coincidentally.)

But it's also true, the top young players started to rally pretty
evenly from baseline recently although they haven't solved
Fed's serve yet.

rwn
08-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Federer has been in 5 finals in a row (all GS and TMS) since he sacked Roche, winning 3 of them. He's actually doing great. Nothing wrong with his killer instinct.

pound cat
08-23-2007, 04:03 AM
Federer has been in 5 finals in a row (all GS and TMS) since he sacked Roche, winning 3 of them. He's actually doing great. Nothing wrong with his killer instinct.

I'm wonder at how anyone can keep focused on the same thing match after match, tournament after tournament, year after year. And not just the focus, but the intensity of focus and the "I will win every time" mind set. However Nadal has it, Henin has it too.

I don't understand the mind that thinks this way, but it never ceases to amaze me.

peleshot
08-23-2007, 04:35 AM
He's now 26. He's been in this stuff for quite some time so I assume he's starting to get tired>>less killer instinct, safer shots. But when he really wants to win the match, he wins it!

Warriorroger
08-23-2007, 05:06 AM
I am not sure even if Roger has a killer instinct a la Agassi, Nadal, Sampras. Roger wins come mainly from being that much better on the court and toying with opponents. IMO he sometimes looks a bit arrogant and sloppy. I don't ever see him really intense in a match prepared to grind it out. When he is on, there is no doubt in mind that he is the greatest ballstriker, tennisplayer ever, male or female, but when he is behind he looks frustated. People with true killer instincts never show if they're winning or losing.

Coaching
08-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Chill out, he is still as good as anyone can get.:D