PDA

View Full Version : Gimelstob gets in main draw again? Aaargh!

christo
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Nothing against Justin, I don't understand how he constantly gets into the main draw at majors. Surely he cannnot be ranked higher than 200? it's entertaining for about 10 mins to watch him flop around and then just annoying. I'm sure he's a great guy but enough already.

Rhino
08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Well he's American. I accidently met him once and didn't think he was a great guy. I think he thought I was going ask for an autograph or something but I practically ignored him and he made some smart comment.

Moose Malloy
08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
being american has nothing to do with it, he has an injury protected ranking.

Fee
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Nothing against Justin, I don't understand how he constantly gets into the main draw at majors. Surely he cannnot be ranked higher than 200? it's entertaining for about 10 mins to watch him flop around and then just annoying. I'm sure he's a great guy but enough already.

HIs ranking is in the 300's now. Mark your calendar for late October. His PR expires and he will retire from the tour. Happy?

(perusing the ATP rulebook might actually make tennis a little bit more enjoyable for you. :) )

West Coast Ace
08-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Nothing against Justin, I don't understand how he constantly gets into the main draw at majors. It's really pretty easy. The USTA is very clique-ish. Justin is buddies with the right people. And this will help him get commentary jobs that Luke Jensen and Mal Washington would be much better at.

Why do you think PMac is still an ESPN talking head and Davis Cup Captain?

Joeyg
08-22-2007, 05:48 PM
West Coast Ace-

Are you on 'ludes or what? If there is anyone more annoying on TV than Luke Jensen, I'll eat my hat. Granted, occasionally he has an interesting tour story, but he is dramatically overrated as a color guy. I do wish that Mal Washington would work more, though. He brings some nice insight to the table. I have met Justin on several occasions and he is really a pretty interesting guy. Not your average dumb jock. And as Fee stated, he will be retiring after his protected ranking has expired.

West Coast Ace
08-22-2007, 05:57 PM
West Coast Ace-

Are you on 'ludes or what? If there is anyone more annoying on TV than Luke Jensen, I'll eat my hat. Granted, occasionally he has an interesting tour story, but he is dramatically overrated as a color guy. I do wish that Mal Washington would work more, though. He brings some nice insight to the table. I have met Justin on several occasions and he is really a pretty interesting guy. Not your average dumb jock. And as Fee stated, he will be retiring after his protected ranking has expired.Luke is The Man. Two word - Robin Givens.

And he knows tennis and does his commentary with a great sense of humor. Sorry you can't appreciate it.

PS - I believe hats are pretty much useless carbs - not a good thing for your tennis game...

tennissavy
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM

He gets into the main draw just like he has a job doing commentary and interviews for tv-connections. He has the right connections.

Fee
08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
It's really pretty easy. The USTA is very clique-ish. Justin is buddies with the right people. And this will help him get commentary jobs that Luke Jensen and Mal Washington would be much better at.

He gets into the main draw just like he has a job doing commentary and interviews for tv-connections. He has the right connections.

Do the two of you seriously believe what you have posted here? Really? Seriously? Look at the draw, there is no (W) next to Justin's name, he did not get a wildcard. He has a PROTECTED RANKING, just as other injured players before him (did you think Joachim Johansson was on the entry list because he has 'connections'?). Since the two of you need spoon fed answers, here it is:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/common/TrackIt.asp?file=/en/players/ATP_Rulebook2007.pdf

VII. ATP Rankings
D. Entry Protection

1) A player may petition the President for an Entry Protection when he is physically injured and does not compete in any tennis event for a minimum period of six (6) months. The written petition must be received within six (6) months after his last tournament.

2) The Entry Protection shall be a position in the ATP Ranking (Singles), as determined by the player's average ATP Ranking (Singles) position during the first three (3) months of his injury. The Entry Protection shall be for entry into the main draw or qualifying competition or for special exempt consideration. The Entry Protection shall not be used for seeding purposes or Lucky Loser consideration.

3) The Entry Protection shall be in effect for either the first eight (8.) Tournaments that the player competes in using the Entry Protection (excluding Wild Cards and entries as a Direct Acceptance with his current position in the ATP Ranking) or for the period up to nine (9) months beginning with the first tennis event that the player competes in, whichever occurs first.

And this is the original entry list for the USO, from July 19:

1 Federer,Roger/SUI 1
2 Nadal,Rafael/ESP 2
3 Djokovic,Novak/SRB 3
4 Roddick,Andy/USA 4
5 Davydenko,Nikolay/RUS 5
6 Gonzalez,Fernando/CHI 6
7 Robredo,Tommy/ESP 7
8 Gasquet,Richard/FRA 8
9 Blake,James/USA 9
10 Berdych,Tomas/CZE 10
11 Haas,Tommy/GER 11
12 Ljubicic,Ivan/CRO 12
13 Youzhny,Mikhail/RUS 13
14 Murray,Andy/GBR 14
15 Ferrer,David/ESP 15
16 Canas,Guillermo/ARG 16
17 Ferrero,Juan Carlos/ESP 17
18 Kiefer, Nicolas GER @17
19 Baghdatis,Marcos/CYP 18
20 Chela,Juan Ignacio/ARG 19
21 Moya,Carlos/ESP 20
22 Hewitt,Lleyton/AUS 21
OUT Johansson, Joachim SWE @21
24 Safin,Marat/RUS 22
25 Mathieu,Paul-Henri/FRA 23
26 Nalbandian,David/ARG 24
27 Nieminen,Jarkko/FIN 25
28 Volandri,Filippo/ITA 26
29 Tursunov,Dmitry/RUS 27
OUT Soderling,Robin/SWE 28
31 Monaco,Juan/ARG 29
32 Calleri,Agustin/ARG 30
33 Hrbaty,Dominik/SVK 31
34 Melzer,Jurgen/AUT 32
35 Clement,Arnaud/FRA 33
36 Almagro,Nicolas/ESP 34
37 Mayer,Florian/GER 35
38 Malisse,Xavier/BEL 36
39 Kohlschreiber,Philipp/GER 37
40 Ancic,Mario/CRO 38
41 Gicquel,Marc/FRA 39
42 Fish,Mardy/USA 40
43 Karlovic,Ivo/CRO 41
44 Lee,Hyung-Taik/KOR 42
45 Santoro,Fabrice/FRA 43
46 Starace,Potito/ITA 44
47 Ginepri,Robby/USA 45
48 Becker,Benjamin/GER 46
49 Tipsarevic,Janko/SRB 47
50 Verdasco,Fernando/ESP 48
51 Acasuso,Jose/ARG 49
52 Wawrinka,Stanislas/SUI 50
53 Simon,Gilles/FRA 51
54 Hernandez,Oscar/ESP 52
55 Massu,Nicolas/CHI 53
56 Andreev,Igor/RUS 54
57 Montanes,Albert/ESP 55
58 Monfils,Gael/FRA 56
59 Del Potro,Juan Martin/ARG 57
60 Lapentti,Nicolas/ECU 58
61 Bjorkman,Jonas/SWE 59
62 Benneteau,Julien/FRA 60
63 Mahut,Nicolas/FRA 61
64 Spadea,Vincent/USA 62
65 Delic,Amer/USA 63
66 Rochus,Olivier/BEL 64
67 Llodra,Michael/FRA 65
68 Eschauer,Werner/AUT 66
69 Koubek,Stefan/AUT 67
70 Russell,Michael/USA 68
71 Henman,Tim/GBR 69
72 Johansson,Thomas/SWE 70
73 Grosjean,Sebastien/FRA 71
74 Vliegen,Kristof/BEL 72
75 Berlocq,Carlos/ARG 73
76 Gimelstob, Justin USA @73
77 Tsonga,Jo-Wilfried/FRA 74
78 Horna,Luis/PER 75
79 Roitman,Sergio/ARG 76
80 Bolelli,Simone/ITA 77
OUT Srichaphan,Paradorn/THA 78
82 Zabaleta,Mariano/ARG 79
83 Garcia-Lopez,Guillermo/ESP 80
84 Serra,Florent/FRA 81
85 Roger-Vasselin,Edouard/FRA 82
86 Seppi,Andreas/ITA 83
87 Lopez,Feliciano/ESP 84
88 Vassallo Arguello,Martin/ARG 85
89 Gulbis,Ernests/LAT 86
90 Hartfield,Diego/ARG 87
91 Guccione,Chris/AUS 88
92 Korolev,Evgeny/RUS 89
93 Mirnyi,Max/BLR 90
94 Querrey,Sam/USA 91
95 Berrer,Michael/GER 92
96 Ramirez Hidalgo,Ruben/ESP 93
97 Navarro Pastor,Ivan/ESP 94
98 Pless,Kristian/DEN 95
99 Gabashvili,Teimuraz/RUS 96
100 Goldstein,Paul/USA 97
101 Luczak,Peter/AUS 98
102 Kunitsyn,Igor/RUS 99
103 Guzman,Juan-Pablo/ARG 100
104 Stepanek,Radek/CZE 101
105 (Q)
106 (Q)
107 (Q)
108 (Q)
109 (Q)
110 (Q)
111 (Q)
112 (Q)
113 (Q)
114 (Q)
115 (Q)
116 (Q)
117 (Q)
118 (Q)
119 (Q)
120 (Q)
121 (WC) Isner, John USA
122 (WC) Kuznetsov, Alex USA
123 (WC) Levine, Jesse USA
124 (WC) McClune, Michael USA (Kalamazoo champion)
125 (WC) Odesnik, Wayne USA
126 (WC) Sweeting, Ryan USA
127 (WC) Young, Donald USA
128 (WC) Jones, Alun AUS (TA)

I have bolded the 3 players used a Protected ranking to enter the USO. One is still injured and had to withdraw.

Damn that Nicolas Kiefer and his connections.

tennispro11
08-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Can I have it spoon fed to me too? ;)

tennissavy
08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I still stick by statement. Gimelstob is a pro player and tv commentator because he has connections.

tennispro11
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I still stick by statement. Gimelstob is a pro player and tv commentator because he has connections.

It's your opinion. Just keep telling yourself whatever helps you sleep at night. Does it go something like this: "Gimelstob sucks, Gimelstob sucks, Gimelstob sucks" :D

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Are you on 'ludes or what? If there is anyone more annoying on TV than Luke Jensen, I'll eat my hat.

I agree. Watching Wimbledon with my sister, she made a comment that pretty much summed up Jenson's commentary, "What a cheese ball".

christo
08-22-2007, 10:19 PM
is it just me or does Gimelstob seem to have been injured to some degree since about the day he turned pro? he's a medical marvel!

edmondsm
08-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Gimelstob is a blowhard. His articles are terrible, self-indulgent, just like his tennis. I hope they televise his match at the Open so I can watch him get his *** whooped.

dukemunson
08-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Wait what? You don't think the fact that he's a pretty solid tennis player has something to do with the fact that he's a pro tennis player??? That's just a weird post...he's pro because he has connections...haha...

Zets147
08-22-2007, 11:12 PM
dude gimelstob = ggpwnzorz

fastdunn
08-22-2007, 11:23 PM
haven't seen him for a while. is he still S&Ving ?

Young Pete
08-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Luke is The Man. Two word - Robin Givens.

And he knows tennis and does his commentary with a great sense of humor. Sorry you can't appreciate it.

PS - I believe hats are pretty much useless carbs - not a good thing for your tennis game...

my thoughts exactly he got a pretty good looking lady thats for sure...

go Luke!

vive le beau jeu !
08-23-2007, 02:02 AM
this entry list including the PR makes me wonder when we will see j.johansson back on the tour... :?

Well he's American. I accidently met him once and didn't think he was a great guy. I think he thought I was going ask for an autograph or something but I practically ignored him and he made some smart comment.
maybe he was disappointed because he wanteed an autograph from you ? ;)

Joeyg
08-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Boys, it was Murphy Jensen who fathered Robin's child, not Luke. Luke however, had a fling with Cheryl Miller (Reggie's sister) while they both attended USC. If we are going to gossip, let's get it right! Oh and you shouldn't argue with Fee. She is one tough broad. No offense intended, Fee. Will you be driving in February? If so, see you there.

tennissavy
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Wait what? You don't think the fact that he's a pretty solid tennis player has something to do with the fact that he's a pro tennis player??? That's just a weird post...he's pro because he has connections...haha...

He is a horrible tennis player. There are plenty of club players who could beat him. Have you ever seen him play? He is the worst pro player I have ever ever seen. It is pathetic that he was allowed to join the ATP.

johnkidd
08-23-2007, 10:06 AM
He is a horrible tennis player. There are plenty of club players who could beat him. Have you ever seen him play? He is the worst pro player I have ever ever seen. It is pathetic that he was allowed to join the ATP.

Pete Sampras calls up lots of club players to hit with as well right?

Fee
08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Boys, it was Murphy Jensen who fathered Robin's child, not Luke. Luke however, had a fling with Cheryl Miller (Reggie's sister) while they both attended USC. If we are going to gossip, let's get it right! Oh and you shouldn't argue with Fee. She is one tough broad. No offense intended, Fee. Will you be driving in February? If so, see you there.

Yikes, no offense taken but I'm not so sure that you are describing me. :)

Won't be there in February, saving up to go back to Wimbledon next summer, fingers crossed. Someone has offered me access to his 'Final 8' privileges and I hope to hold him to it.

J-man
08-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Well this is his last GS because I heard he was retiring. Got to send him off some how

West Coast Ace
08-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Do the two of you seriously believe what you have posted here? Didn't know they protected rankings of guys so LOW! Sorry! Can anyone tell me why guys that low get PRs? 1st round fodder is 1st round fodder. Are you saying he NEVER got a WC?

Boys, it was Murphy Jensen who fathered Robin's child, not Luke.Sorry, not what I've heard from people who work on the tour. Could be wrong, but doubt it. Look at Murphy, then look at Luke. Who do you think Robin would date?

Fee
08-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Didn't know they protected rankings of guys so LOW! Sorry! Can anyone tell me why guys that low get PRs? 1st round fodder is 1st round fodder. Are you saying he NEVER got a WC?

You should read my previous post again, but...

First, you can see the passage that I posted from the ATP rule book states that ANY player who is off the tour and inured for more than 6 months is eligible for a PR (and yes, that includes Challenger and Future level players).

Second, you can look at the USO entry list that I posted and see that Kiefer, J. Johansson, and Gimelstob all have a ranking next to their names and the @ sign that designates their PR ranking. The number next to Justin's name is 73, which is the ranking that he had on September 13, 2006 when he went in for six hours of back surgery.

I know of one occasion when Justin got a WC for the US Open. It was in 1995 when he earned it by winning the 18's National Championships at Kalamazoo. He has probably been given other wildcards here and there (just like so many other 'next big thing' players in the US) and I'm pretty sure he got one in April for the Houston Clay Court tournament, but I'm not familiar enough with his career before I met him to answer your question completely accurately.

And yes, as I also stated previously in this thread, Justin is retiring at the end of this season. The pain is too much and despite all of the physical therapy and the hard work he has put in for the last year to keep playing the game he loves, he did not regain his strength or his movement, and his body just cannot do it anymore.

According to www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com), Murphy is the father of Robin Givens' son.

VikingSamurai
08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
So Fee, are you actually what he would call his friend. Or are you just the head of his fan club and met him once or twice?