PDA

View Full Version : getting nervous

jimstorm
08-22-2007, 03:15 PM
i get really nervous before matches. i dont know if anyone else does, but that is pretty much the downfall of my game. is there anything i can do that will help get over being nervous? in practice i play great and in practice matches i am great, but when it comes to the real deal, i basically freeze up and just tap the ball over then loose. does that happen to anybody else? what can i do to get over that? HELP!

Ripper
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
i get really nervous before matches. i dont know if anyone else does, but that is pretty much the downfall of my game. is there anything i can do that will help get over being nervous? in practice i play great and in practice matches i am great, but when it comes to the real deal, i basically freeze up and just tap the ball over then loose. does that happen to anybody else? what can i do to get over that? HELP!

It happens to all newbies. Some people get over it faster than others. Some never do. Play lots and lots of matches, trying to play your best, without caring about the outcome, and you should be fine.

koopa_troopa
08-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Picture your opponent in their underwear. I heard thats supposed to work.

arnz
08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
If you tie your self esteem based on how well you play tennis, or any other sport for that matter, then you will get nervous because losing will mean you are a failure and unworthy

Its just tennis, its supposed to be fun, and unless you are a pro who makes a living at it, the result doesnt really matter, except like I said above, if you make it matter.

Take some nice deep breaths the next time you get on court and relax your body before and after each point and concentrate on the ball. And be happy you are out there, in good health, able to play tennis.

jimstorm
08-22-2007, 04:21 PM
awsome ill try all of these except picturing the opponent in underwear is kinda sick. so i might stick on the first and last bits of advice.
anyone else have any?

Bagumbawalla
08-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Everyone gets nervous sometimes. There are lots of strategies to reduce the amount of nerves, but the best way is to practice your shots, until you are so confident in them that you would never fear failure.

The other thing is to play, even the most difficult match, as if you were playing a practice match-- you are out there trying to hit the best you can, watching the ball and concentrating on the basics-- and not thinking about winning or losing.

Frank Silbermann
08-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Learn to breathe to relax. Count to three while inhaling, hold for a count to three, count to three while exhaling, wait for a count of three before inhaling.

Use your nervous energy to squat down lower than usual as you swing. (If you do that, you may get to the point that you play better when you're nervous.)

Focus on keeping your head still as you hit, tracking the ball with your eyes only.

Fedace
08-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Pretend that your opponent is in love with you.

Hot Sauce
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
This could be good or bad, but what I do is don't think about the match. If it's the match thats making you nervous, don't think about it.