PDA

View Full Version : Serve: Moving your arms up together?

cukoo
08-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Is it reconmended to "move your arms up together" when you serve?

Agassi's service motion is a clear example to moving both tossing arm and racquet arm up together. However, I find it very difficult to toss the ball correctly when moving my racquet arm up, so I keep it down until I toss the ball. On the other hand, Sampras keeps this racquet arm down longer than anyone I've seen, the ball is completely toss before he even move his racquet arm.

So I guess this leads me to my second question; is there any right or wrong way to do this, or its whatever that feels most comfortable to me?

nyc
08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Most pros these days don't move both arms up at the same time:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/begin.php

cukoo
08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
^Damn, I wanted to read
"Lesson 1: Slow Down and Complete Your Toss First" but I'm not a member.

wihamilton
08-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Most pros these days don't move both arms up at the same time:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/serve/begin.php

Roddick and Federer do. The backswing + timing of the arms are stylistic to a large extent, but that said, if you are just starting out it makes A LOT of sense to move them up together.

koopa_troopa
08-22-2007, 06:22 PM
You are correct in that there are different ways to do this. As long as your movement is fluid, you are good.

ChocolatePie
08-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I bring my racket arm up a little earlier than my toss arm.

TheFonz
08-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Both up at the same time is mostly old school, but the main thing is that you want a continuous motion with your stick arm. You do not want to get to the old 'back scrathing position' and pause. the motion should be one movement. I have quite a few of my older students who have this problem as it is natural to want to stop at this position......

cj011
08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
What you really want to focus on is when your arms are up in the trophy stance position, make a straight line from elbow to elbow. From there move your upper body as one. That will put more weight into your serve and eliminate the focus on our serving arm. Adventually I will have to get off my lazy butt and make a video for you guys on youtube

lethalfang
08-23-2007, 01:39 PM
I bring my arms up together.
If I bring my toss arm up first, then I have to toss the ball before I bring up the racquet, which means I have to toss the ball higher. I prefer not to toss the ball higher than it needs to be.