PDA

View Full Version : Ashaway Kevlar 17g mains 46 pounds SPPP 17g Crosses 48 pounds

bruguerabatigol
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
In my youth I always played with ashaway crossfire 2 because I always broke strings quickly. When Polyester strings came out I made the switch starting with luxilon ace moving onto Alu Power. Both Luxilon strings gave me golf/tennis elbow something that I never had with crossfire. Tried the ALU power hybrids with VS Gut, Poly in the mains & gut crosses at low tensions was still painful to my elbow but putting the gut in the mains and poly in the crosses increased the comfort by 100 % and played fantastic with far more spin than the reverse setup. Only problem was that I would only get 2 matches before they broke. So I went back to kevlar but still wanted poly in the crosses because I liked the fact that Poly as a cross string will keep your mains from moving all over the shop. I think I may have been the 1st person to post a thread about this hybrid on talk tennis and it seems that it is becoming more popular although there are many who are not willing to try because they presume that this setup is the harshest of the harsh. I really donīt think that there any better control strings out there than ashaway kevlar and with sppp in the crosses the kevlar stays firm and doesnīt move at all. This particular hybrid lasts for a very long time and it really doesnīt matter about tension loss because you wonīt be spraying balls long. In Fact this is one string that peformance just gets better and better through out itīs lifespan which for me could be anything upto 6 months. Multis like tecnifibe x1 are great but would only last me about a set, Soft poly setups like topspin cyberflash where good but didnīt offer the level of control of the kevlar string and they would lose tension after about a months play. For those people who are willing to try the kevler/sppp I recommend to string at low tensions, you will still have superior control.

kirbster123
08-22-2007, 08:22 PM
this has been discussed before...

bruguerabatigol
08-23-2007, 04:19 AM
It has been discussed before probably by myself. Iīm just letting people know that i got elbow problems from luxilon strings and not from kevlar. Itīs obvious to me that you are new to talk tennis forums, you will always find repeated threads on all subjects, but hey if it bugs you then donīt read them.

bruguerabatigol
08-23-2007, 04:20 AM
No wonder Sir Greg Rusedski got the fXXX out of your country.

haerdalis
08-23-2007, 04:37 AM
I string with forten 18 g mains and Signum pure 17 g crosses. It is very comfortable and has exceptional control. Decent durability also for such a thin gauge.
Kevlar/poly is the way to go.

nickb
08-23-2007, 06:33 AM
No wonder Sir Greg Rusedski got the fXXX out of your country.

There was no need for that...he just said it has been discussed before...which it has.

cukoo
08-23-2007, 07:24 AM
In my youth I always played with ashaway crossfire 2 because I always broke strings quickly. When Polyester strings came out I made the switch starting with luxilon ace moving onto Alu Power. Both Luxilon strings gave me golf/tennis elbow something that I never had with crossfire. Tried the ALU power hybrids with VS Gut, Poly in the mains & gut crosses at low tensions was still painful to my elbow but putting the gut in the mains and poly in the crosses increased the comfort by 100 % and played fantastic with far more spin than the reverse setup. Only problem was that I would only get 2 matches before they broke. So I went back to kevlar but still wanted poly in the crosses because I liked the fact that Poly as a cross string will keep your mains from moving all over the shop. I think I may have been the 1st person to post a thread about this hybrid on talk tennis and it seems that it is becoming more popular although there are many who are not willing to try because they presume that this setup is the harshest of the harsh. I really donīt think that there any better control strings out there than ashaway kevlar and with sppp in the crosses the kevlar stays firm and doesnīt move at all. This particular hybrid lasts for a very long time and it really doesnīt matter about tension loss because you wonīt be spraying balls long. In Fact this is one string that peformance just gets better and better through out itīs lifespan which for me could be anything upto 6 months. Multis like tecnifibe x1 are great but would only last me about a set, Soft poly setups like topspin cyberflash where good but didnīt offer the level of control of the kevlar string and they would lose tension after about a months play. For those people who are willing to try the kevler/sppp I recommend to string at low tensions, you will still have superior control.

Interesting, but at 46/48 pound, does the stringbed bounce like a trapoline?

bruguerabatigol
08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
With these low powered strings I think you should go as low as you possibly can.
At this tension I found that I was hitting as deep as I possibly could with a full swing. Directional control with Kevlar is 2nd to none itīs all about finding the right tension to achieve the perfect depth.

tennisphotog
08-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I am using Ashaway Crossfire (kevlar hybrid), and love it, but what tension do you recommend stringing the kevlar at?? I am using in player's frames, and I am a 4.0-4.5 player.

Thanks for any advice on this

bruguerabatigol
08-23-2007, 08:53 AM
You may not notice that kevlar loses tension fairly quickly but after months of play the mains remain fairly tight. If you cut out the crosses you can see how lose the kevlar has become. Despite the tension loss I find that the kevlar string still plays pretty consistent throughout itīs lifespan and that Im not hitting long even on flat shots. Ashaway reckons that you can string as low as 44 pounds. Most players frames are low powered so take a risk and try 46 pounds and string the poly crosses at 50 pounds.

bruguerabatigol
08-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Sorry mate, didnīt notice that you said crossefire. The synthetic crosses can still stay at 50 - 54 pounds. I found that the crossfire 2 provided more comfort than ashaway kevlar mains VS Gut crosses. The reason I use poly in the crosses is because it keeps the main string from moving side to side. They say that you get more spin when the mains reamain locked in position.

haerdalis
08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
The poly doesnt keep the main from moving. Rather it lets it move back again.

bruguerabatigol
08-23-2007, 09:18 AM
haerdalis,
I tried the kev/poly hybrid with Cyberflash 17 gauge and it didnīt play as good as SPPP yet cyberflash full string job for me is better than SPPP full string job. Is the Signum poly pure better than SPPP?

haerdalis
08-23-2007, 09:57 AM
The signum poly pure IMo isnt better as a full job, but for the cross application with kevlar it is perfect I think.

EZRA
08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I am using Ashaway Crossfire (kevlar hybrid), and love it, but what tension do you recommend stringing the kevlar at?? I am using in player's frames, and I am a 4.0-4.5 player.

Thanks for any advice on this

Although I use a different type of Aramid Blend (Forten Thin Blend) . I string them at 57 mains and 60 crosses. I play an NCode 61 95 ..

EZRA
08-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Crap... my response is same as my sig.

pianotennis
08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
My current setup is Ashaway kevlar17/SPPP17, strung at 58/58. I never tried low tension with kevlar/poly, but I feel extremely well with current setup, excellent control, and I can hit balls very hard without worrying fire them high.

kirbster123
08-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Greg Rusedski left Canada because people like me state the obvious on TW forums? Whew, I thought it was because Britain paid more. Thats a load off my back.

You were acting as if you had discovered something new, which you hadnt, many people have tried that setup before. I didn't mean anything by that, sorry if I upset you.

travlerajm
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm in the Kevlar/poly club now. My Ashaway Crossfire II / polygut (50 lbs in a 107" frame) gave me amazing control, and I posted a recent thread on it. The performance blew away any other string type I had tried.

The only downside is that the crispness fades a bit as the strings age, so that I don't get as much bite or control as I did for the first 8-10h of play. The drop in performance coincides with the slipperiness of the poly wearing out, so the the mains no longer snap back into place like they did when fresh.