PDA

View Full Version : Is VS gut that much better?

neverstopplaying
08-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I was reading a recent post and it made me wonder if VS is really better than other guts. It's a brand name and I would think that you're spending $$$ for the name.

I've regularly use Klip Legend and BDE performance in 17 ga. and I'm very happy with them. Am I missing something? If you prefer VS, what do you like about it vs. other guts?

scotus
08-22-2007, 06:13 PM
The only time I used VS gut was about 20 years ago. I shelled out $45, pretty big for a high school boy, and broke it in 2 sets. Needless to say, I never bought it again.

Bodacious DVT
08-22-2007, 06:25 PM
different people will have different preferences. I prefered vs over klip when i used gut, but that was just me. IMO i thought vs played better and felt softer. from my understanding, vs also works better in humidity(?).

if i were you, i'd give it a try.
if you like it, great- the extra money was worth it.
if you dont, then you've experienced the difference first hand.

theace21
08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I use BDE, but some people always want the best and most expensive.

kirbster123
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Babolat VS is considered the top-of-the-line natural gut.

ledor
08-22-2007, 07:18 PM
VS is the more popular overall natural gut.

bagung
08-22-2007, 07:21 PM
VS compare to klip legend, it has more "pop" and softer. durability goes to legend.
VS compare to bde, bow brand, similar feel and "pop"...
to me, the VS doesn"t worth the money......

LttlElvis
08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
I would say Babolot VS 17g is the best gut string I have ever used. Great spin, power, and control for me. I switched to Tonic + (ball feel) because it was $10 cheaper. The 17g had a better feel, but not so much for the price compared to Tonic+.

Valjean
08-22-2007, 08:01 PM
When the USRSA did a gut playtest several years back, VS won hands down over Legend, Bow Brand, BDE, Tonic+ and a Pacific entry I don't recall now. The only area where it was even competitive was durability, where Legend did particularly well.

This is an area where you definitely get what you pay for. In my view, if you're going to do gut, the only way you get enough of the experience you're paying for is with VS. Otherwise, you get a jaundiced view of what gut is capable of, and might wind up eventually thinking you're better off with just a satisfactory multi. Anyhow, to equip yourself better to evaluate any of the other guts, do yourself a favor and begin your playtesting with VS.

NoBadMojo
08-23-2007, 06:26 AM
VS <not Tonic> is a very nice string. The quality is consistent from run to run and within runs. Is it better? Only if you like the feel and response of it better compared to the other gut strings. It's also not as durable as some of the other gut strings.
Personally, even if they were all priced the same, I prefer Legend and BDE Perf. The Perf plays similarly to the VS and lots cheaper and is more durable. The Legend plays firmer and less powerfully than the VS but still deep in the pocket. You dont have to string it up as tightly as VS to get control as the VS, it is more durable, and lots less money

Pusher
08-23-2007, 06:48 AM
I was reading a recent post and it made me wonder if VS is really better than other guts. It's a brand name and I would think that you're spending $$$ for the name.

I've regularly use Klip Legend and BDE performance in 17 ga. and I'm very happy with them. Am I missing something? If you prefer VS, what do you like about it vs. other guts?

I was a regular user of VS until I tried Klip Legend. The Klip, for me, has much better durability and a little less of the trampoline effect commonly associated with natural gut. With VS I was always applying the Babolat varnish and wiping down the strings in order to increase durability- with the Klip I just string it and let it go.

Even at the same price point I would choose Klip. If I were to go with Babolat I would use the Wilson brand 15ga which is Babolat but the 15ga gives similar durability to the Klip 16ga. Both brands (Klip and Babolat) are nice strings.

Cruzer
08-23-2007, 10:19 AM

Very subjective question. Having tried pretty much all the "name" gut I can say they are all good strings. I have always been partial to VS gut because I personally happen to like it better than almost all the others. I have switched to Pacific Prime gut because I think it gives a little more control and feel compared to VS. It is helpful to read the opinions of others but you also need to try VS for yourself. That is the only way you are going to know if you think it is better than other guts. Since you are already a gut user spending more for VS is not going to be a huge extravagance.

LafayetteHitter
08-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Klip and BDE have provided excellent gut for me. I actually prefer the BDE Perf and Klip Legend to the VS.

rasajadad
08-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I am another voice in the "it's all a matter of personal preference" camp. I have tried them all (I did comparative playtests of Klip, Wilson, VS, Gamma, and Pacific last year). I just like the Klip (in my sig) better.

10usstring
08-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I've also tried them all and perfer VS over most anything else out there. Never had a problem with durability. Recently been useing Wilson Natural Gut and have been lead to believe it's VS in a Wilson package. Anyone know if this is true?? The Wilson gut strings up great with very little coil memory.

coloskier
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
I've also tried them all and perfer VS over most anything else out there. Never had a problem with durability. Recently been useing Wilson Natural Gut and have been lead to believe it's VS in a Wilson package. Anyone know if this is true?? The Wilson gut strings up great with very little coil memory.

Yes, Wilson gut is made by VS and is equivalent to the VS Team.

neverstopplaying
08-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the great responses.

I might as well try VS at least once and see for myself. I'm going to do another post on tensions as I'll be switching to the indoor courts in a few weeks. Let's keep the discussion going.

ericsson
08-24-2007, 02:48 AM
i really like bow gut