PDA

View Full Version : Softer in mains, harder in crosses

Mike Sibs
08-22-2007, 06:44 PM
I have a half set of both pro hurri and xcel for one of my rackets... I thought I read at some point that putting the softer string in the mains has better feel, among other attributes I can't remember. I know that The softer one will snap faster in the mains, but string breakage isnt really a big problem for me yet (I dont think ill break them easily... Im used to high tensions)

I plan on stringing at about 55-57 lbs

I was wondering what the differences between having the hurri in the mains, and the Xcel in the crosses and vise versa might be.

Thanks in advance

cheny89
08-22-2007, 06:53 PM
use excel in crosses and pro hurri in mains

mains need to have durability

crosses is for the feel and touch

well thats what i thought

A.T.S.
08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
use excel in crosses and pro hurri in mains

mains need to have durability

crosses is for the feel and touch

well thats what i thought

Try telling the to the world #1(Gut mains and Luxilon crosses). It doesn't need to be that durable, especially since poly loses tension very fast and loses playability but still looks new.

It's true that softer mains will create better playbility and feel, and the hard crosses for this set up may just be used to lower the power. This is all based on personal preference, wether you use gut mains and synthetic(includes poly, nylon, and multi)crosses or the other way around.

This type of set-up is good for people with injuries but cannot control the power.

Ripper
08-22-2007, 07:10 PM
You said it your self: "I know that The softer one will snap faster in the mains", meaning more spin, but that's just theory. I've tried both, extensively, and decided I don't like the softer string in crosses for the reason that they tend to move up and that freaks me out. If, instead, I put a poly in the crosses and, say, a multi in the mains, the poly will not move up. I don't mind the mains moving from side to side, though... I know, I'm nuts ;)

bagung
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
softer and playability string in main, harder string in cross to reduce the power....
i have tried gut /poly, multi/poly vise versa. by putting the gut or multi in cross is a waste of money.... put them in main, and you get your money worth in playability.....

A.T.S.
08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I personally do not use hybrids anymore because I know I will break a main really quick and the crosses will still be in good condition. I use a full job of reaction 16 and I'm not looking back.

Gmedlo
08-22-2007, 09:19 PM
I like poly in the crosses with multi mains because I feel it allows the multi to move around more, generating more spin than a full multi setup. There is little to no sacrifice in comfort, and you often get better feel (especially with mushy multis.) Just don't use polys with a "rough" texture.

The durability does suffer a little, but for me they last about as long as it takes for the strings to lose ~10 lbs, so it doesn't really matter.

With Xcel in the mains, you will probably get slightly less spin, but It will be much more comfortable and have much better feel. I'd expect the same amount of tension loss from both setups.