PDA

View Full Version : Tension & Durability?

cukoo
08-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Does tension has an effect on the string's durability?

Example: A racquet is strung with poly at 65 lb, another of the same racquet and poly string is used at 50lb...which one will break faster?

Bottle Rocket
08-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I think it can depend on the racket, the strings, and the way you hit the ball... But...

I think the general consensus is that strings in rackets strung looser are more durable than strings that are tighter.

The reason is believed to be the simple fact that there is more friction between the moving strings (when you impact the ball) when you have a higher tension.

It is possible this isn't always true, possibly for someone who truly hits a completely flat ball, but I don't know.

I think if you're picking a tension based on durability, you may never get the results you're looking for.

abenguyen
08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
well i'd say the 65 lb one because there is so much tension in it. a couple mishit could cause enough pressure to make the poly string snap. when its strung at 50 lbs its so low that there is less tension and a mishit won't cause as much pressure as compared to the high tension