PDA

View Full Version : Gauge, Stiffness and tension

reactgary
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi,

What will the feel of "stiffness" change when I move from a thicker string to a thinner string, assume they are same in material and construction?

And what should I do to the tension if I move from thicker string to thinner string and wanna preserve the feel?

Thx

Valjean
08-23-2007, 09:03 AM
This is what's known as the "hoary chestnut" for this board. Remember Gulliver's Travels and the difficult dispute about which end of an egg matters? That's what this question generally brings forth when raised. Personally, but taking the typical higher elasticity of the thinner string into account, I favor raising tension by 2 lbs. per gauge when going thin. Others, going by a supposedly higher initial impact shock, think lowering it about the same is good. Take the shortcut; try it yourself.

Another solution is, do a board search for previous unhappy discussions of your question.

rasajadad
08-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I agree with Valjean in terms of raising the tension as you go thinner, but my change would be 4 lbs.

gjoc
08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
What will the feel of "stiffness" change when I move from a thicker string to a thinner string, assume they are same in material and construction?

The strings will feel harder/harsher, and the sweetspot will be smaller.

And what should I do to the tension if I move from thicker string to thinner string and wanna preserve the feel?

Reduce the tension by not quite as much as the squared ratio of the diameters, usually like 4-5 pounds, going from 17g to 18g.

What is the current string and tension, and what gauge do you want to try?

reactgary
08-23-2007, 07:30 PM
What is the current string and tension, and what gauge do you want to try?

One of my current setup is redcode 17 mains @ 56lbs and gosen og micro 16 cross @ 58, I wonder what will it be if I use a micro 17 instead.

my stick is POG mid.

gjoc
08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
One of my current setup is redcode 17 mains @ 56lbs and gosen og micro 16 cross @ 58, I wonder what will it be if I use a micro 17 instead.

my stick is POG mid.

So, using USRSA data then, youd be going from a diameter of 1.29 with a stiifness of 203, to a diameter of 1.24 with a stiffness of 199.

Based on that, Id say 55 lbs. for the new 17g crosses, in order to give you the same stiffness/feel.

jkonecne
08-23-2007, 10:05 PM
I agree with the 55 lbs. That would definitely be a good start. Can you imagine Sampras, who plays with very thin string, and strings it at over 70 lbs. Ridiculous.