PDA

View Full Version : Tension too high?

racquet_jedi
08-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I got my racquet restringed at a higher tension recently and I find that I can't hit with the pace and depth that I used to and most of my balls are easily attackable. (And although control is a little better, it doesn't compensate for the lost pace and depth) What should I do besides getting a new stick that my dad doesn't want to buy? Also, I didn't use the strings that were recommended for the racquet.

nickb
08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Get it restrung at a lower tension...?

Sinner
08-23-2007, 08:22 AM
^ yup... go back to your original tension...

racquet_jedi
08-23-2007, 08:29 AM
My dad thinks that stringing in the US costs too much (My dad got my racquet restrung in the Philippines for pretty cheap) and I don't know what tension my racquet was at when my dad gave it to me, although it still had the original strings.

If I don't know what Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 OS's are strung at when manufactured, then I'm pretty much outta luck.

nickb
08-23-2007, 08:33 AM
My dad thinks that stringing in the US costs too much (My dad got my racquet restrung in the Philippines for pretty cheap) and I don't know what tension my racquet was at when my dad gave it to me, although it still had the original strings.

If I don't know what Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 OS's are strung at when manufactured, then I'm pretty much outta luck.

String at mid tension or 55-57 lbs...that should be OK..

racquet_jedi
08-23-2007, 08:36 AM
But my dad won't let me get my racquet restrung until the current strings break. Now what?

Doc Hollidae
08-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Cut your strings when he's not looking.

gotwheels
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Leave the racquet in a closed auto at high summer temps. You should see a reduced tension. Remember, there is not much control using this process.

nickb
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
But my dad won't let me get my racquet restrung until the current strings break. Now what?

Just keep hitting with the racquet and the string will lose tension...

racquet_jedi
08-23-2007, 08:44 AM
He'll know that I did and I'm pretty sure he'd get really mad.

Hope no one minds if I get off topic, but this could really help. Do polyester strings loosen up fast?

Hidious
08-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Why don't you explain the problem to him? Is he a tennis player? Give him some articles to read about tension importance, etc. I think you could find some on TW learning center. Tell him your current setup hurts your game and that a new string job would not be wasted money.

Your dad, like all dads wnats you to win right? :P

tenniskid3119
08-23-2007, 09:39 AM
you can set your racquet on the court or whatever and LIGHTLY step on the strings and put little pressure on you foot. Just use one foot.