PDA

View Full Version : Damn High Balls!!!!!

mjcn121789
08-23-2007, 09:08 AM
i have trouble keeping the balls i hit low. Whenever I hit with my forehand or backhand the ball is so high above the net.....it lands in but it kind of floats in the air. It gives a chance for my opponent to get ready and hit wherever he likes. How do I hit my forehands and backhands so that it is just above the net (like the pros)?

angelsdemons8600
08-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Explain to us your game first!

I will go ahead and assume you use semi-western / western grip on your forehand. If this is the case, the problem with these grips is that you tend to brush more than drive. Make sure that you DRIVE through the forehand and not just use just your arm to brush. Use your legs and drive/explode into the shot.

mjcn121789
08-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Even if I use a eastern forehand grip...the ball is still high. Ive tried driving through the balll but it soars into the air and goes out. I NEED HELP PLS!!!!!

kimizz
08-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I had this problem too, the ball went high and was really slow. After I straightened my arm more during the backswing my FH turned better.

Loco4Tennis
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
the way i hit through to the ball is by using the 3 ball theary, i picture 3 balls in a row and i have to hit all three to hit through completely, if i just hit 1 i know its not going to go deep,
as for your problem of using heavy topspin (what i think your doing), try to aim your shot deep into the opponents court, landing beyond the service area as close to the back line as you can get it,
most people let the ball bouce, so by sending it deep, your opponent is going to have to return from several feet outside the court

Shashwat
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I had this problem but it was because i wasn't driving the ball. But when i hit the ball and it went really high, it usually went in near the baseline and popped up because of the topspin. But now i have better footwork and i drive through the ball and i dont have this problem. So i would say work on your footwork and drive through the ball.

TennisFrkJC92
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM
The reason it's floating is because it either has no spin or backspin on it.

So, since you're a SW/W grip, you should be able to brush up on it more.
Brush more up on the ball and the topspin will make the ball drop quicker instead of floating.

paulfreda
08-23-2007, 01:53 PM
You may be starting with your arms low just as you would hit a normal waist high ball. For high balls you should first raise your elbows [both on BH and FH] to the ball height and then hit thru the ball.
Hope this helps you.

Vision84
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
How do I hit my forehands and backhands so that it is just above the net (like the pros)?

This is a common misconception. If you watched a pro play in front of you you would be surprised by the amount of height they do get above the net.

dave333
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Hitting a ball above the head low over the net flat and fast is a pretty low percentage shot and lands short a lot more. A better choice is a heavy spin shot that goes fairly high over the net and lands deep.

LafayetteHitter
08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Make sure you are starting with the racquet face closed. I'm uncertain of exactly what you were describing but I see people that hit with their racquet face to open so the trajectory of the ball is to soar high.

Flyingpanda
08-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Bend your knees! Also if you hit with topsin you can still hit it pretty high.

cj011
08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
You may be starting with your arms low just as you would hit a normal waist high ball. For high balls you should first raise your elbows [both on BH and FH] to the ball height and then hit thru the ball.
Hope this helps you.

Excellent advise. Also don't forget to go straight across. The better you get at it the more your follow through will be on the side.

Work on rallying down the line so that you are aiming for the service box. Keep yourself upright and work on trying to get over the top of the ball. You want alot of you swing to be in front of your body. The projectory will go straight like a flat shot, but drop at the last minute. A drill I do with my kids is I have one on the baseline aiming for the service box. Another at the service line working on half volleys.

cj011
08-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Make sure you are starting with the racquet face closed. I'm uncertain of exactly what you were describing but I see people that hit with their racquet face to open so the trajectory of the ball is to soar high.

I am not sure about that. If the person is going low to high then yes they will hit the sky. What if they drive straight across? If I start with my palm back and vertical, as I drive it straight across it begins to close and would go over the top and on the side of the ball

LafayetteHitter
08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
That's why most of the people posting vague questions with no video of the problem have a hard time getting the correct advice. Most probably end up more confused. Drop 40 on a local pro and get it right the first time.

mjcn121789
08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
This is a common misconception. If you watched a pro play in front of you you would be surprised by the amount of height they do get above the net.
ya but when i hit the ball its 8-10 feet above the net

mjcn121789
08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
everyone seems cloudy with my problem....when i hit the ball it lands in and sort of deep. the problem is that the ball is 8-10 feet above the net which is really high and by the time the ball is about to land in the court it, the ball is practically floating to my opponent. I want to hit the ball flatter and with more pace.

kimizz
08-24-2007, 01:49 AM
everyone seems cloudy with my problem....when i hit the ball it lands in and sort of deep. the problem is that the ball is 8-10 feet above the net which is really high and by the time the ball is about to land in the court it, the ball is practically floating to my opponent. I want to hit the ball flatter and with more pace.

Do you hit with an open stance most of the time? Maybe you rotate your shoulders too soon? Watch this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uWe31Vuqi8&NR=1

theres an instructor explaining a student(this student was filmed) what hes doing wrong. In the beginning they talk about the students FH. Watch the part where the instructor says the student clears hes non-dominant hand too soon and the good shoulder rotation is ruined.

Im not sure if this is your problem...but you dont lose anything by watching the video.