PDA

View Full Version : I Need A Better Backhand!!!!!!!!!!

mjcn121789
08-23-2007, 10:10 AM
I hit with a two handed backhand. My problem is that when I hit with my backhand it doesnt have a lot of pace. I want to hit my two handed backhands flatter but I do not know how. Does anyone have any advice for me? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

drgnpride
08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
i think by 'flatter' you mean 'lower', you should put topspin on the ball. if you flex your knees and hips as the ball is approaching and elevate and drive as you hit the ball ('sit and lift') you will get more pace on the ball.

jck01
08-23-2007, 10:00 PM
i think by 'flatter' you mean 'lower', you should put topspin on the ball. if you flex your knees and hips as the ball is approaching and elevate and drive as you hit the ball ('sit and lift') you will get more pace on the ball.

I agree. In addition, make sure you have enough trunk rotation (i.e., shoulder turn).

TheJRK
08-24-2007, 11:51 AM
I hit with a two handed backhand. My problem is that when I hit with my backhand it doesnt have a lot of pace. I want to hit my two handed backhands flatter but I do not know how. Does anyone have any advice for me? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to do the same thing when I was younger because I focused on putting too much top spin on the ball. What you need to do is hit through the ball.

You can work on this by straightening your left arm after you hit (if you are right handed) and before you follow through over your right shoulder. You must exaggerate this motion (straightening your left arm on the follow through). It will feel like you can't put any top spin on the ball at first but you'll figure it out.

Remember you need to push with your left arm not pull with your right, this will give you that "flatter" shot that you are talking about.

In D Zone
08-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Check out this video clip....

- note the grip, footwork and how to position your body
- its all in the technique

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WezW20Vlh4w

I encourage you to bookmark this clip for future reference. As you progress with learning the technique, come back and review the clip again you'll be surprise that you'll learn something new again.

paulfreda
08-29-2007, 07:09 AM
Switch to a SemiWestern grip and learn to hit with it.
You will have a great BH when you figure it out.

arnz
08-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I encourage you to bookmark this clip for future reference. As you progress with learning the technique, come back and review the clip again you'll be surprise that you'll learn something new again.

That is an excellent vid, even though it was kinda rigid as far as the grip goes. Not everyone has a semi western/continental combo. I personally use an Eastern/mild Continental most of the time

Wheelz
08-29-2007, 03:44 PM

excellent video...that's when I realised I need to angle my wrist like in a forehand. It got me more pace/precision because I was making better contacts. Maybe it'll work for you.

flame08
08-30-2007, 10:14 PM
have u tried...u know..ambidextrous play?? maybe it would work...thats what i did 1 year ago,my backhands SUCKED. now i dont even use backhands so much. and i wasnt even ambidextrous i just trained my left hand and its ok now my left hand forehands are much better than any of my backhands

AznHylite
09-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Ambidextrous play sounds a lot like Prince of Tennis to me... Lol

star_of_death80
09-01-2007, 01:46 AM
just remember if you do a dramatic grip change to a semi-western on your left then your swingline will obviuously have to change, there are just some people out there who use the wrong grip with the wrong swingline which is where things can go wrong.
if you are a guy, look at any male player with a good two hander and look at their swingline because they are using an eastern forehand on their left hand.
if your backhand is completely f***** and you want to use semi-western on the left hand then look at the girls such as Jankovic

eastern forehand left hand=extended arm on contact
semi-western fh left hand=boxed up, chicken wing on contact

jmverdugo
09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
sometimes it is just lack of timing, you are not making proper contact with the ball, focus on making good contact.

In D Zone
09-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Here is another thought.....

What type of stance to you use when playing 2bhd?

- Closed or traditional Stance (that's the video clip I sent you earlier)

- Open Stance? Scroll down to page 5
http://dps.usta.com/usta_master/usta/doc/content/doc_437_51.pdf

go to Youtube and search for Venus and Hingis... they are the perfect example of players using the 2bh Open Strance.

I can tell you from experince the 2bh Open Stance is by far superior than the closed stance as my son plays using the open stance. Especially excellent is returning serve and offers great power.

Hope this help!