PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the TW Private Label Leather Grip yet?

AmericanTemplar
08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Just curious if anyone has tried this grip yet? I think that I am going to try leather on my racuets as the stock grips that came on my RDS 001's have compressed quite a bit and the bevels have become dull and the size a bit smaller. I'm hoping to find a grip that will solve these problems.

goober
08-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I like the choice of thicknesses and the price. I am very tempted:D

M1KE
08-23-2007, 10:52 AM
On paper (or monitor), it seems like everything I could ask for: thick, "highest quality," long enough for a 5/8 grip with overlapping for a flat surface, and I like how there's nothing written on it. Since I was getting shoes anyways, I ordered one.

AmericanTemplar
08-23-2007, 11:09 AM
If these are supposed to be flat after they have been wrapped, then how exactly would the various widths affect the feel of the grip?

ProStaff Legend
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM
theres a TW leather grip?

lethalfang
08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Just found it:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACZONS-TWLG.html

So does anyone know what's the thickness of the babolat leather grip? I want a comparison.

LafayetteHitter
08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Would anyone here know which of the sizes would be closest to the Head Calfskin or the Fairway grips that came on the old PS85's?

chlsmo
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
these are cool, if they are new, how come they werent on any vlog?

Keifers
08-23-2007, 05:03 PM

So does anyone know what's the thickness of the babolat leather grip? I want a comparison.
Reading the packaging... it says thickness is 1.7mm (0.07 in).

Weight is given as 24.0g (0.85 oz).

Width is not specified, but I measure it as 25mm.

Keifers
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
This might have been posted before, but here's a tip I got recently about putting a new leather grip on...

As you wrap the new grip around the butt cap (any new replacement grip, actually), it's not uncommon to get a wrinkle where the grip starts to wrap onto itself. To prevent this, wrap it once (pulling fairly tightly), go back, and then wrap it again. The leather is stretched with that first pull and then again with the second -- you should get a nice, smooth new grip.

Richie Rich
08-23-2007, 07:24 PM
This might have been posted before, but here's a tip I got recently about putting a new leather grip on...

As you wrap the new grip around the butt cap (any new replacement grip, actually), it's not uncommon to get a wrinkle where the grip starts to wrap onto itself. To prevent this, wrap it once (pulling fairly tightly), go back, and then wrap it again. The leather is stretched with that first pull and then again with the second -- you should get a nice, smooth new grip.

i have that problem with the thicker/stiffer leather grips (gamma). never had that problem with babolats. thanks for the heads up though - i'll keep in mind if it ever happens to me.

Keifers
08-23-2007, 10:14 PM
i have that problem with the thicker/stiffer leather grips (gamma). never had that problem with babolats. thanks for the heads up though - i'll keep in mind if it ever happens to me.
You're welcome... glad to pass the tip along.

jmverdugo
08-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Im thinking about getting a couple for my RDS001s, the original synt one is getting old and i want something to get a better feel for the bevels. I want my rackets to stay the same as they are right know but with the leather grip, right now im wondering which thick should i buy? any thoughts?

AmericanTemplar
08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Im thinking about getting a couple for my RDS001s, the original synt one is getting old and i want something to get a better feel for the bevels. I want my rackets to stay the same as they are right know but with the leather grip, right now im wondering which thick should i buy? any thoughts?

I'm in the same boat. I've also been considering the artificial "leather" Yonex grips, since they won't significantly alter the balance.

rabidcow
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Will swapping out a leather grip for a synthetic dramatically incerase the grip size

LafayetteHitter
08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I will be ordering a couple different sizes of these and post comments when they arrive. I have Babolat leather, ProKennex leather, Wilson leather,Vantage leather, Fairway leather and Head Calfskin to compare to. Wow after I typed all that I realize I buy way too much stuff....lol

jdelcue
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I will be ordering a couple different sizes of these and post comments when they arrive. I have Babolat leather, ProKennex leather, Wilson leather,Vantage leather, Fairway leather and Head Calfskin to compare to. Wow after I typed all that I realize I buy way too much stuff....lol

Keep us posted!

I just put some Babolat leather on my Wilson PS 6.0 95 (came to me with some cotour/ribbed gel grip) and I've got no complaints. Was gonna pick up another Babolat for another racquet I got coming in, but in light of these new TW leathers, I'm starting to wonder...

Thanks!
- Joaquin.

Midlife crisis
08-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Will swapping out a leather grip for a synthetic dramatically incerase the grip size

I only use the Prince Duratred, and it is somewhere around one-half to one full size larger than either the Babolat or Gamma leather grips, depending on how tightly you pull it.

ProStaff Legend
08-30-2007, 12:13 AM
if anyones interested, i did a comparison: TW vs GAMMA leather
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=153557

Milano
08-30-2007, 06:37 AM
I just ordered 3...anyone know why TW is not charging shipping? I just order the 3 thinnest (both ways) and it only cost me 23.85?

TheShaun
09-02-2007, 11:28 AM

any update lafayettehitter? have you used them yet?

ps. i'm in baton rouge right now. just had a hit at the bocage club earlier today.

NetMuncher
09-02-2007, 03:17 PM