PDA

View Full Version : Removing Leather Grip (or any replacement grip)

mlwgszgao
08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey guys, last time I tried to remove a grip from my racquet to put in a leather grip, the handle was all sticky and fuzzy, and I felt that I messed up somehow on the procedure of removing a grip cleanly from a handle.

Anyways... I was just wondering if y'all come share some insight into how you remove your original grip (preferably advice on wilson leather) to ensure a clean handle for a replacement. Thanks!

A.T.S.
08-23-2007, 05:42 PM
No theres nothing wrong with that. All you have to do is clean it but either sanding it off(be careful not to sand the actual handle) or if there is very little try using and eraser.

neverstopplaying
08-23-2007, 05:55 PM
The one piece of advice that I received when I put on my first leather grip was to really pull the grip hard as I wrap it around the handle. It does a really neat job.

As far as the sticky stuff on the cushion grip, you might want to try a solvent, but I don't think that it should matter much. Good luck - enjoy the great leather feel.

Keifers
08-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I use acetone to clean off the glue and other gunk. Available in the nail care section of your drug store (look for "Pure Acetone" or "100% Acetone"). Apply with cotton balls or cotton buds.