PDA

View Full Version : Going indoors with Gut - tension change?

neverstopplaying
08-23-2007, 05:51 PM
I've been experimenting with several string combos over the summer in our relatively short outdoor season (I live in Montreal).

I had 4 TF 335s strung as folllows:
Klip Legend gut 17 (57#) too powerful but great feel
BDE performance 17 (60#) best feel and good control
NRG2 (55#) amazing within a short period of play
BB mains/NXT crosses (53#/56#) numb but good for baseline play
RED CODE mains/ NXT crosses (53#/56#) didn't see much difference w/above

I think that I'm going to stick with gut for my indoor leagues matches starting in September, and from a previous post will string with VS gut.

Should I increase tension a few pounds for the indoor court. I've already gone from the mid 50s to 60 for gut. I'm thinking of somewhere between 60# and 65#? What are your recommendations/experiences?

A.T.S.
08-23-2007, 06:10 PM
1-3LBS. That's it. No more because it will be too big of a jump. When I used gut I didn't change my tension for any circumstanced. All I did was practice in the environment that my next match or tourny would be and I learned to adjust my style and technique of hitting.

bagung
08-23-2007, 07:59 PM
i adjust my string tensions based on how fast the court is....
tighter for faster court...
adjust 2-3 lbs diff

neverstopplaying
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Glad to be part of your 1,000th post. Thanks for the info and congratulations.

Fedace
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I've been experimenting with several string combos over the summer in our relatively short outdoor season (I live in Montreal).

I had 4 TF 335s strung as folllows:
Klip Legend gut 17 (57#) too powerful but great feel
BDE performance 17 (60#) best feel and good control
NRG2 (55#) amazing within a short period of play
BB mains/NXT crosses (53#/56#) numb but good for baseline play
RED CODE mains/ NXT crosses (53#/56#) didn't see much difference w/above

I think that I'm going to stick with gut for my indoor leagues matches starting in September, and from a previous post will string with VS gut.

Should I increase tension a few pounds for the indoor court. I've already gone from the mid 50s to 60 for gut. I'm thinking of somewhere between 60# and 65#? What are your recommendations/experiences?

You are right, you have to string tighter in tension by at least 3-4 lbs when going indoors and especially if the weather turns cold going in as well. But also i noticed that even if you use poly string the same thing is true. I thought polys werern't affected by weather but going indoors with colder weather, you have to string that tighter too to keep the same control.:sad: