PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Forehand...help?

Pr0DiGy
08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
I'm not really sure at all what the problem is. However, I feel like I'm not getting any topspin, power, drive, anything. My forehand floats a decent bit and isn't a weapon whatsoever. No power at all, no depth. I use a Western grip. I don't even think I'm getting that much topspin. I think I'm missing something big that I'm not aware of.

P.S. Mishits are becoming increasingly often...

Bundey
08-23-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm not really sure at all what the problem is. However, I feel like I'm not getting any topspin, power, drive, anything. My forehand floats a decent bit and isn't a weapon whatsoever. No power at all, no depth. I use a Western grip. I don't even think I'm getting that much topspin. I think I'm missing something big that I'm not aware of.

P.S. Mishits are becoming increasingly often...

Read my board, I was having the same trouble as you and now have switched to semi western. I have balls flying on me at the moments but can definitly see that I can drive the ball harder, consider switching.

Pr0DiGy
08-23-2007, 06:14 PM
What are some good basic tips for going from Western back to Semi-Western? Things you had to keep in mind? Key things to remember? Could you still hit a windshield wiper forehand with the Semi-Western?

Bundey
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
What are some good basic tips for going from Western back to Semi-Western? Things you had to keep in mind? Key things to remember? Could you still hit a windshield wiper forehand with the Semi-Western?

I'm really in the same boat as you now. I'm trying to figure it out myself. There is some advice on my board though. I found that if I try that windshield wiper forehand I send it long.

Pr0DiGy
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Then we're in this together :D :D

I'll practice tomorrow, and try the Semi-Western out. See how it feels. I'll tell you how it goes.

Bundey
08-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Then we're in this together :D :D

I'll practice tomorrow, and try the Semi-Western out. See how it feels. I'll tell you how it goes.

Good luck with it. Trust me it will be hard at first, but will be better in the long run, here is the link to my thread...
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=152231

J011yroger
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
You are more than likely very late. Try hitting the ball further and further out in front of you.

J

jck01
08-23-2007, 08:58 PM
You are more than likely very late. Try hitting the ball further and further out in front of you.

J
I agree. If you're using a western forehand grip, you have to hit it out in front a little bit more. Another thing that works for me is to straighten the body so it's more upright. In addition, make sure the elbow is close to the body and your feet are about shoulder-length apart.

Pr0DiGy
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
This is probably a really ******** question, but when I've heard more out in front, I've always assumed this meant more outwards, like more towards the net. But, should I be hitting more in front as in more towards, say, like the doubles alley?

That probably wasn't very clear.

Imagine two perpendicular lines intersecting at the center of the baseline. One is on top of the baseline and the other is on top of the line dividing the two service boxes. The original contact point was at the intersection. In which direction should "more out front" be? Following the line dividing the service boxes or the baseline one? Both, maybe at a 45 degree?

Sorry if you're still not understanding.

dave333
08-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Out in front means in front of your body, towards the net.

burosky
08-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I think what Dave333 is trying to tell you is to make your contact point further in front of your front leg. The reason for the mis-hits is because the racket face is too closed (facing the ground too much) as you try to make contact with the ball. This effectively decreases the hitting surface of the racket face. To know exactly how far in front you need to make contact, swing your racket slowly until you see the racket face squarely facing the net. This area is where you should be making contact.

It doesn't matter if you have a SW or W grip. The point where the racket face is square with the net is where your contact point should be. The amount of spin or depth and penetration of the shot will depend on the swing path you use on the stroke. A steeper low to high swing path where the racket head goes well below the ball will produce more spin while a less steep low to high swing path where the racket head is slightly below or the same level as the incoming ball will produce more depth and penetration.

Pr0DiGy
08-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys

Bundey, I tried a SW for a little bit, didn't work. IDK, after going to full western everytime I go anywhere less than western I just feel like I'm going to spray balls everywhere and that the racket face won't be close whatsoever. Went back to Western, worked on it. After 5 hours of practice, I've made a big improvement. Three things that've really helped me personally (though I'm not really sure about you and other players) are, 1) Bend the elbow more for the double bend, and keep it bent. I found that I was straightening it a little bit. 2) Rotate the shoulders more. I'm not entirely sure why, but it helped a lot. 3) Really hit the ball early and out front, both ways. These were all key to any good forehand I've hit lately, though I'm not sure if they're really the right thing to do.