PDA

View Full Version : Players with Two-Handers (2HBH): What grip do you wait to return with?

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm in the process of teaching myself a 2HBH (see this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1688351) if interested).

I'm right-handed, I have a Western FH, and have only ever had a 1HBH, mostly slice. I always returned by holding my FH grip, perhaps unless i'm very-much expecting a serve to my BH.

Now I have the 2HBH, I'm starting to want to return with it (of course! Returning 1st serves was a big part of the reason I'm trying to teach myself).

The other day I tried this when waiting to return: I held my normal Western Forehand grip with my right hand, and held my LH on the grip the way I do for my 2H (it's either E or SW, haven't examined which). It meant that my hands were 'crossed' on the grip, but it worked. For Forehands I simply removed the LH and swung normally. For 2HBHs I just let the RH slide around to the conti-ish 2HBH grip on the take-back, and that seemed to work give the LH is the dominant one, and it was already set and locked.

Is this totally unusual? Not-recommended? Do you do this? Will I grow out of this as my 2HBH gets better? I'm keen to hear any feedback....

Gmedlo
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
It depends on the situation, but most of the time I will hold the racquet with two hands in my eastern forehand grip. Since I have a near-continental 2hbh grip, I don't have to change to much (and although it isn't great on the wrist, I can hit a 2hbh with my right hand in an inverted grip position, such as eastern forhand on my backhand.)(<----basically what you do)

But this can change quickly. If I'm play a lefty that slices his serve a lot, I will hold it continental because it will almost assuredly go to my bh. But, if I read a kick serve during his motion, I will change to an eastern forehand grip. If that lefty is serving a slice on the deuce side, I will be prepared to switch to my eastern incase he serves out wide or to my body, that way I can run around to my forehand.

J011yroger
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm in the process of teaching myself a 2HBH (see this thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1688351) if interested).

I'm right-handed, I have a Western FH, and have only ever had a 1HBH, mostly slice. I always returned by holding my FH grip, perhaps unless i'm very-much expecting a serve to my BH.

Now I have the 2HBH, I'm starting to want to return with it (of course! Returning 1st serves was a big part of the reason I'm trying to teach myself).

The other day I tried this when waiting to return: I held my normal Western Forehand grip with my right hand, and held my LH on the grip the way I do for my 2H (it's either E or SW, haven't examined which). It meant that my hands were 'crossed' on the grip, but it worked. For Forehands I simply removed the LH and swung normally. For 2HBHs I just let the RH slide around to the conti-ish 2HBH grip on the take-back, and that seemed to work give the LH is the dominant one, and it was already set and locked.

Is this totally unusual? Not-recommended? Do you do this? Will I grow out of this as my 2HBH gets better? I'm keen to hear any feedback....

Exactly right.

Just hold your western FH grip lightly with your rt hand so you can quickly rotate without having to let go.

J

jmverdugo
08-24-2007, 06:01 AM
I do this to but just when i want to hit the ball, if i want to slice it i just go continental with my right hand. I do this mostly on first services, on second services i do as you say.

dave333
08-24-2007, 07:43 AM
I put my dominant hand on western and my non dominant on eastern backhand. When I get a backhand, I take my racquet back and switch my dominant hand to continental and hit.

So I do exactly what you do.

OrangeOne
08-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all of the replies guys, it's pleasing to know i've intuitively come to what seems to be 'correct'.

I will say that the one evening I was trying this, I already noticed the benefits...

2HBHs are indeed the (my) future :)

FitzRoy
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
This sounds very much like what I do, though my forehand grip isn't extreme as yours. From the ready position, I find it very easy to be prepared to hit both the forehand and the two-handed return. I think it works pretty well, in part because it feels easy to turn the racquet to the right backhand position quickly using two hands. And, as you said, for the forehand you just have to let go with the left.

Pr0DiGy
08-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Exactly what I do.

I think Nadal does it too..?

pro_staff
08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
There was an article about this on Tennis magazine a while ago. The article described exactly what you're doing right now. This is what the pros do too I believe.

MTXR
08-24-2007, 07:48 PM
I have a 2HBH, for return of serve i wait in a one hand continental grip. I will either hit a continental forehand, or a slice backhand. If i am attacking i will just put my non dominant hand on the racquet and hit a 2HBH. My non dominant hand is always on the throat of the racquet.

soyizgood
10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
For me:
right-hand - continental
left-hand - lefty semi-western

LETHAL topspin and wicked cross-court angled shots. :) It's my best shot which helps me PWN those cocky, snobbish 1HBH'ers.