PDA

View Full Version : Why do people break more strings often?

Yonex.
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Simple question. I rarely break strings. I have no clue why, but I do have a big forehand and use 1.25( going for 1.20 Poylybre Cobra soon). I sometimes have to break my ALu power.

How come people break more strings than others? I'm starting to think I suck at my forehands because my strings wont break like other people.

I get pretty annoyed now. I do play alot of tennis. I wanna know why I dont break strings often like others, I don't think this is the upside because I'm starting to think my forehands aren't big enough.

How can i start breaking strings like once every week or so? ( I know this is a stupid questions, but I want to know how I could really break my strings naturally.)

What also causes strings to break more than others? Like I bet blake breaks strings every 2 hours of play or something. Thank you all.

iplaybetter
08-23-2007, 06:26 PM
i have the same issue i hit big with plenty of spin, but i just dont break string i dont get it either

xtremerunnerars
08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
You have to consider the racquet you use, the string you're using, the kind of spin you hit with, etc.

Heavy heavy topspin and the right racquet will combine for string breaking heaven (watch the TW video) but flat hitting won't do it. James hits relatively flat so he may not break strings that often.

iplaybetter
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
i use a 335 with a semi western forehand and a nice little 1hb so i generate a nice amount of spin, and i use polylon, micro hybrid and i have yet the break it, both 17g at 58, maybe its cause i use a hybrid i don't know

etea
08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
the racket you use does have some play when it comes to breaking your strings. Usually i see it as the form. For example my forehand form for some reason breaks strings like every week. 3.5 player.
p.s my forehand destroys.

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Any of the people wondering why you don't break strings: Sure, it's a combo of power / spin / frame and string, but in reality, don't complain!

I'd have much more money if I didn't snap strings as often :)

iplaybetter
08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
but breaking string is confidence building, and i have a stringer so its no big issue

lethalfang
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
If you racquets with dense string pattern and string it with poly, it's pretty hard to break 'em.

J011yroger
08-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Hate to say it, but the answer is that you don't hit as hard, or with as much spin as you think you do.

Fortunately hitting hard is about the least important thing in tennis.

J

thundaga
08-23-2007, 07:54 PM
can also depend on the quality of your opponents, length of rallies, pace of serve etc etc.

bad_call
08-23-2007, 08:00 PM
i play with a mid size racquet that has an 18x20 stringbed. ever since i tweaked my serve for a bit more spin, i have become a string breaker. however now that the some opponents have gotten used to this serve, i vary the serve (spin, flat, kick, topspin) and placement. so now i'm not as much of a string breaker...til i play another that isn't used to returning the spin... ;)

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Hate to say it, but the answer is that you don't hit as hard, or with as much spin as you think you do.

Fortunately hitting hard is about the least important thing in tennis.

J

JR, I almost want to make that last line my signature.

A random-story for all, unrelated to the thread sorry :)

I filled in for a team in Division-1 comp the other night, with a 13 going on 14 year old junior. I was astounded, amazed, found it remarkable.... that he had no rally-ball. Only 110% forehands. He has a supposedly reputable coach (who I can no longer see as reputable based on this kid's hitting alone), he simply couldn't rally. Winner, Net or Fence were the three options, although in reality the percentages were about 10/45/45! I played the best tennis of my life to carry the kid to a 4-6 loss in our first set, and I can say with a clear head that if he had a basic, rally, cross-court FH, we'd have won comfortably.

There's a lesson there young people: get the ball back in play, and don't worry about whether or not you break strings! Spend all of the string money you save on good coaching :)

tennispro11
08-23-2007, 08:21 PM
JR, I almost want to make that last line my signature.

A random-story for all, unrelated to the thread sorry :)

I filled in for a team in Division-1 comp the other night, with a 13 going on 14 year old junior. I was astounded, amazed, found it remarkable.... that he had no rally-ball. Only 110% forehands. He has a supposedly reputable coach (who I can no longer see as reputable based on this kid's hitting alone), he simply couldn't rally. Winner, Net or Fence were the three options, although in reality the percentages were about 10/45/45! I played the best tennis of my life to carry the kid to a 4-6 loss in our first set, and I can say with a clear head that if he had a basic, rally, cross-court FH, we'd have won comfortably.

There's a lesson there young people: get the ball back in play, and don't worry about whether or not you break strings! Spend all of the string money you save on good coaching :)

Well said. As a coach I couldn't have said it better. Thank you. :)

vamosrafa15
08-23-2007, 08:32 PM
me myself i break strings every 2 to 3 hours, i use the apd with cortex and kirschebaum super smach spikey 16g. i used to use lux but that broke way quicker and too expensive but i know a kids that r better than me that break strings about twice a week, so i dont know how to explain it lol

Yonex.
08-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I use 2 FXP Instincts and have a pretty good forehand, almost like nalbandian but with more spin. Strings is 18x19. 1 handed backhand. And MEGA AMERICAN TW!ST. ;) I am going to string my Polyfibre Cobra at 62. The Gauge is 1.20.

Uh, I don't know guys. Is there a key to breaking strings? You guys are kinda all over the place. More direct answer would be nice.

Also could someone PLEASE go over the string pattern for me? Like tighter strings together does what, and what are the wide string patterns and such.

Yonex.
08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
me myself i break strings every 2 to 3 hours, i use the apd with cortex and kirschebaum super smach spikey 16g. i used to use lux but that broke way quicker and too expensive but i know a kids that r better than me that break strings about twice a week, so i dont know how to explain it lol

Could you explain to us how you hit? A reason why you break your strings more often? And be more spcefic?

ALso mabye answer my last post?

Hidious
08-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Some guy in another thread claimed that heavier extra duty balls were responsible for some string breakings.

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Ok, it's time to get scientific (about the elements affecting string breakage, the answer to your question above is that we're playing tennis, and the goal is to win points, not break strings!).

- The string Make & model
- Inherently, the string style (multi, poly, etc)
- The string gauge
- The string tension
- The nature of the hybrid
- The frame
- The string pattern of the frame
- The stringing pattern used when stringing the frame
- The condition of the grommets
- The technique of the stringer
- The quality of the knots
- Age of string
- The balls used
- Amount of wear and tear on the string (over time, notching etc)
- The player
- The power used
- The amount of spin used
- The surface played on (esp. clay)
- The weather (heat / humidity / rain)
- How the racquet is stored
- Where the ball is hit (esp. on power-mis-hit-edge-breakages)

....that's got to be a good starting list. Anyone want to add to it?

Errol
08-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Equipment:
Stiffer racquets make the strings take more damage.
Strings that move around a lot wear quicker.
Open string patterns allow more string movement.
Thinner strings snap quicker.

Play:
Hit hard with more spin.

Yonex.
08-23-2007, 08:58 PM
could someone PLEASE go over the string pattern for me? Like tighter strings together does what, and what are the wide string patterns and such.
Also the stiffness of racquets in numbers?

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 09:12 PM
could someone PLEASE go over the string pattern for me? Like tighter strings together does what, and what are the wide string patterns and such.

The denser a string pattern (like 18*20), the less likely strings are to break. The looser they are (like, 16*18 ), the more likely they are to break - each main and cross bears more lead. The denser a pattern is, the less power and spin you will get, but you'll have more control. The opposite is obviously true as the pattern gets looser / more open - more spin and power, less control.

Stiffness I'm no guru on, but lower is flexier and higher is stiffer, and you'll see a number like '63' or '70' listed for every frame on the main TW site. The stiffer it is, the more stress on the strings, the more likely the string is to break.

By the way, and no offence, but your goal of breaking strings weekly is just plain silly. Enjoy your tennis and focus on results, not on string breakages.

Zets147
08-23-2007, 09:14 PM
Yar, breaking strings is no fun. Especially when you're on a roll and then your strings break all of a sudden. Doo Doo

Mine usually last about 8 hours on each stick.

Yonex.
08-23-2007, 09:43 PM
The denser a string pattern (like 18*20), the less likely strings are to break. The looser they are (like, 16*18 ), the more likely they are to break - each main and cross bears more lead. The denser a pattern is, the less power and spin you will get, but you'll have more control. The opposite is obviously true as the pattern gets looser / more open - more spin and power, less control.

Stiffness I'm no guru on, but lower is flexier and higher is stiffer, and you'll see a number like '63' or '70' listed for every frame on the main TW site. The stiffer it is, the more stress on the strings, the more likely the string is to break.

By the way, and no offence, but your goal of breaking strings weekly is just plain silly. Enjoy your tennis and focus on results, not on string breakages.

I don't have a goal to break strings every week. But thank you for your post.

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
How can i start breaking strings like once every week or so? ( I know this is a stupid questions, but I want to know how I could really break my strings naturally.)

I don't have a goal to break strings every week. But thank you for your post.

err... OK :)

Chauvalito
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Any of the people wondering why you don't break strings: Sure, it's a combo of power / spin / frame and string, but in reality, don't complain!

I'd have much more money if I didn't snap strings as often :)

Exactly...Me and one of my younger brothers both break poly frequently, me less nowadays since I have been using dense patterns.

My youngest brother usually lasts twics as long as I do, but he is getting bigger and starting to hit the ball with more spin.

Thats 3 of us...it gets a bit annoying as well, our club and therefore our nearest stringer is 30 minutes away

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Exactly...Me and one of my younger brothers both break poly frequently, me less nowadays since I have been using dense patterns.

My youngest brother usually lasts twics as long as I do, but he is getting bigger and starting to hit the ball with more spin.

Thats 3 of us...it gets a bit annoying as well, our club and therefore our nearest stringer is 30 minutes away

Sounds like it's time for you to look into buying a stringer - that and a reel or two and you'd probably save a fortune!

Chauvalito
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Sounds like it's time for you to look into buying a stringer - that and a reel or two and you'd probably save a fortune!

We have done half of what you have suggested. I recently got our first reel of cyberflash 17...this has brought the cost of stringing down to $12.68 per racket.

Over the life of the reel we save around $150. if I remember correctly.

I would honestly love to get a stringer, but I would have very little time to string while in grad school for both my brothers and myself.

Eventually, when I am out of school I will get my own stringer. I'm a racket fiend and a walking catalog of string specs. so I know for sure I will have 5 or 6 reels and hundreds of sets of string laying around.

Yonex.
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
err... OK :)

My bad, forgot what i posted. ;) But no, I am not planing on breaking strings every weak. I wanted to know How i CAN.

Sinner
08-23-2007, 10:23 PM
just out of curiosity, for the poly breakers...

how do polys break? since I'm assuming they don't fray like multis... do the crosses just wear a groove into the mains like syn. gut?

OrangeOne
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM

how do polys break? since I'm assuming they don't fray like multis... do the crosses just wear a groove into the mains like syn. gut?

Sometimes they notch and break normally, and they're also known for "shearing" or edge-breaking.

I'm a big-swinging big-hitter, and I most often break poly's if I catch a miss-hit out near the end of the frame. Because they're inherently less flexible, they don't cope with the stress near the frame/grommet as much, and they just snap/shear. This can happen to relatively new strings even.

Sinner
08-23-2007, 10:48 PM
oh ok thanks... so its sometimes normal for polys to break near the grommets, meaning it might not necessarily be a grommet problem?

tennispro11
08-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Yar, breaking strings is no fun. Especially when you're on a roll and then your strings break all of a sudden. Doo Doo

Mine usually last about 8 hours on each stick.

You said Doo Doo! :)

iamke55
08-23-2007, 11:05 PM
People really don't break strings as often as they claim, they just change the numbers a lot to make themselves sound better. It's just like how everyone on the forum claims to have a 100 mph or above first serve and a 80 mph second serve(which is about what Sampras hit) even though their rating isn't close to 5.0.

J011yroger
08-24-2007, 03:43 AM

http://i19.tinypic.com/66afj93.jpg

J

nickb
08-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Its not much fun breaking strings....I break syn gut in 1-3 hours and poly/syn gut hybrids last me 1-2 days hitting...id love to cut the strings out and restring once a week..

J011yroger
08-24-2007, 04:14 AM
Its not much fun breaking strings....I break syn gut in 1-3 hours and poly/syn gut hybrids last me 1-2 days hitting...id love to cut the strings out and restring once a week..

After the 3 week period is up get a prestiege mid or Dunlop 200.

That should put a dent in your string breaking :)

J

nickb
08-24-2007, 04:21 AM
After the 3 week period is up get a prestiege mid or Dunlop 200.

That should put a dent in your string breaking :)

J

Have found the stick for me....with 15g string I could get 4 hours lol

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=130328&highlight=pro+kennex+micro+mid

Nick

Pusher
08-24-2007, 05:00 AM
You can hit hard with heavy topspin and not be a string breaker. If your opponent also hits hard with heavy topspin then you can/will break strings. Changing the spin on a shot hit with heavy topspin puts a lot of pressure on strings and thats when breakage occurs.

jmverdugo
08-24-2007, 05:16 AM
As somebody else said, you are not hitting as hard or with much topspin as you think. But do not worry if you keep playing you will eventually start breaking strings and then you will be looking for something that dont break.

People do break poly strings and I know some people that have done it in less than two hours of heavy hitting, the normal break should be as the picture posted by jo11yroger, the crosses makes "grooves" on the mains until they pop, and they should break on the spot of your stringbed that you hit most. It is not normal for the polys to break near the grommets, this means you mishit.

As somebody else said to, it will depend on your hitting partner, if you put together two heavy topspiners you will definitely will hear the sound of a string breaking.

Also you may not be hitting in the same spot of your stringbed consistenly, but i think all this will come with time.

I have a question off topic (if i may ask), if you dont break strings that often why did you start a thread looking for "hard like metal wire" strings?.

Anton
08-24-2007, 05:52 AM
I got better and stopped breaking strings - not every shot must be heavy topspin ;)

Ripper
08-24-2007, 07:11 AM
Observe the people you know who break lots of strings. Observe them playing. There's much more to breaking strings than big forehands. Generally, the answer is in how they serve. Imo, people who serve with massive spin break more strings than people with huge spinny forehands and/or backhands. And, if someone combines all that, well, that's when kevlar comes in to play. Also, imo, if the serve is not the answer, you need to observe who these guys are hitting against. Imo, it takes two players to break strings. In other words, it's very difficult to break strings if the guy on the other side of the net hits like a girl, no matter how hard you try to hit. Hth.

Bad Dog
08-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Also, imo, if the serve is not the answer, you need to observe who these guys are hitting against. Imo, it takes two players to break strings.

Ripper makes a good observation. This summer I have broken relatively new strings twice in the sweetspot simply by blocking multiple serves coming in at over 100 mph (160kph).

J011yroger
08-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Have found the stick for me....with 15g string I could get 4 hours lol

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=130328&highlight=pro+kennex+micro+mid

Nick

Imagine stringing that sucker with a full rough poly job?

You would have no fingers left by the time you got half way through weaving the crosses.

J

tbini87
08-24-2007, 08:29 PM
i hit fairly hard with decent spin from both wings, and rarely break strings. but i use a dense string pattern and durable strings, so i wouldn't expect to break them. if you want to break them get a racquet with an open pattern, and use thin gauges of strings that have poor durability!

Final_Match_Point
08-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I use poly in an 18x20 and I string a bit lower than most people. I dont break strings often, And I usually cut them out because thier dead.

Anyway how long do you let poly stay in before you cut it out?

I love how alu power plays but im wondering if I should switch because I feel like I want to cut it out after 4 hours

Loco4Tennis
08-25-2007, 06:18 AM
Simple question. I rarely break strings. I have no clue why, but I do have a big forehand and use 1.25( going for 1.20 Poylybre Cobra soon). I sometimes have to break my ALu power.

How come people break more strings than others? I'm starting to think I suck at my forehands because my strings wont break like other people.

I get pretty annoyed now. I do play alot of tennis. I wanna know why I dont break strings often like others, I don't think this is the upside because I'm starting to think my forehands aren't big enough.

What also causes strings to break more than others? Like I bet blake breaks strings every 2 hours of play or something. Thank you all.

i have the same issue i hit big with plenty of spin, but i just dont break string i dont get it either

i am also in this group of people, and this is what i have noticed and read,
people who break strings often times will hit hard (possibly just like us and maybe alittle more), but they are using alot of topspin (1 main reason for poping strings), they tend to have fast topspin strokes, but also, the racquets they have, which are usually head small will give a small margin of error for offcenter hits (also another cause for string breaking), i be willing to bet that the people using 100"+ racquets DON'T break as often as the ones that use smaller head sizes racquets, due to the fact that the impact will spread better on a larger stringbeat then on a small one;
the tennis-balls they use is often times newer then the ones i use, and you all know that a newer ball feels heavier then a flat ball,
one other thing i have noticed about string breakers, is who they play with; their hitting partners are not sending moonballs after moonballs, they are provably hiiting lots of topspin, heavy flat balls and such to cause them to put a lot of impact strain on the strings;
i hit with a pusher, he just bumps the ball back to me often and rarely generates power to give me trouble, he does use spin sometimes but not to the extent i do, the other day he poppet a string, he didn't do it, that string pop was mine :-) , its my power and/or spin that broke his string.
i know how it sounds to chronic string breakers, which wonder why we want to break strings, and here is my responce i have used before:
its a little man complex of all people who don't do it often and play often to start wondering "why not me"

slicefox
08-25-2007, 11:52 AM

you can use a knife to score the strings (cut them half through all the way around). That way you can increase your chances of breaking them without the need for extra stress.

cho1220
08-25-2007, 12:17 PM
you can use a knife to score the strings (cut them half through all the way around). That way you can increase your chances of breaking them without the need for extra stress.

lol i laughed out loud when i read this

i cant tell if it is serious..

Yonex.
08-25-2007, 12:19 PM

thats not natural.

Yonex.
08-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I use poly in an 18x20 and I string a bit lower than most people. I dont break strings often, And I usually cut them out because thier dead.

Anyway how long do you let poly stay in before you cut it out?

I love how alu power plays but im wondering if I should switch because I feel like I want to cut it out after 4 hours

I got 18x19 string pattern ( FXP instinct).
I used to use ALU Power to 62, and had to cut it out after 1 month, I ussally have to cut it after about 6 hours, but I still used to play with it because of the cost.

I got myself 1.20 Poylyfibre cobra, and 1.25 Blue Gear. Gonna try Big Ace later on. :grin:

raiden031
08-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I break strings often and it has happened from the moment I started playing. I've used a variety of types of racquets (noobie, midsize, 14x18, 18x20) so that doesn't seem to have an effect on it. I usually use cheaper nylon string, which is supposed to be durable, but lacks feel.

I hit with alot of power and top spin. I think thats mainly the combination that breaks the strings.

slicefox
08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
thats not natural.

They would break while hitting a ball, so that's natural enough for me. If it's not for you, then try hitting the net posts as hard as you can in the sweet spot. Repeat until they break.

saram
08-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't understand why ANYONE would want to break strings more often. Stringing the racket puts a considerable amount of stress on the frame. If you are stringing your stick ever three hours of playing, you are degrading the integrity of the stick much more rapidly than if you broke strings once a week/month.

Not only does the OP want to pay for more strings to stroke his ego...He wants to buy rackets more often...

Makes no sense!

BounceHitBounceHit
08-25-2007, 07:53 PM

Trust me.............this is NOT a problem you WANT or need to have!! Breaking string all the time is a PAIN and expensive to boot. NOT cool, a PAIN. Trust me, I know. ;) CC

Gmedlo
08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't understand why ANYONE would want to break strings more often. Stringing the racket puts a considerable amount of stress on the frame. If you are stringing your stick ever three hours of playing, you are degrading the integrity of the stick much more rapidly than if you broke strings once a week/month.

Not only does the OP want to pay for more strings to stroke his ego...He wants to buy rackets more often...

Makes no sense!

My parents don't let me cut out strings unless they are giving me arm problems, even if they are dirt cheap. And I have my own stringing machine. So, if I am experimenting or my strings lose a ton of tension, I have to play till they break.

Luckily I break strings pretty often.

tennispro11
08-25-2007, 09:16 PM
lol i laughed out loud when i read this

i cant tell if it is serious..

The sad thing is, he is serious. :sad:

tennispro11
08-25-2007, 09:19 PM

Makes no sense!

Yeah I am with you on this. I don't understand his logic at all. I break strings so much it was cost effective for me to buy a stringing machine. Don't understand why a guy thinks he needs to break strings to be a good tennis player. :confused:

Micky
08-26-2007, 12:01 AM

Hola Yonex,

I have the perfect formula for you to brake strings like hell. (Any kind of strings that is). Buy yourself a racquet made by Wilson, model nsix-one 95 16x18 string pattern. Then as you hit the frame with the ball....100% total string braking satisfaction.

Loco4Tennis
08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Trust me.............this is NOT a problem you WANT or need to have!! Breaking string all the time is a PAIN and expensive to boot. NOT cool, a PAIN. Trust me, I know. ;) CC

Yeah I am with you on this. I don't understand his logic at all. I break strings so much it was cost effective for me to buy a stringing machine. Don't understand why a guy thinks he needs to break strings to be a good tennis player. :confused:

Craig A. Clark & tennispro11, i would really like to know what head size racquet and tension you all use, i think there is a pattern why people break strings and your setups might be part of it

slicefox
08-27-2007, 07:07 PM
The sad thing is, he is serious. :sad:

I bet you know all about it, Mr. Santa Claus.

mctennis
08-28-2007, 11:17 PM
I think people break strings often because they try to string the racquets themselves without proper training. I think you'll find the majority of string breakers string their own racquets. If you're not a trained stringer I think you are using the most expensive strings since you have to re-string a lot more often than someone that is trained properly. IMHO>

Forehand Forever
08-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Yonex., weren't you the one who posted a topic for steel hard strings or something? If you were then that might be why you're not breaking too many strings.

AceofBase
08-29-2007, 07:44 AM
The String and String pattern on the racket. Also how you hit, alot of people say they play with alot of topspin and hit hard, they dont know what they talking about they just a flat hitter. I have a friend who think he hit with alot topspin and hard and yet only break a string in 3 month, plus he play like almost everyday too get annoying!

Loco4Tennis
08-31-2007, 08:56 AM
I think people break strings often because they try to string the racquets themselves without proper training. I think you'll find the majority of string breakers string their own racquets. If you're not a trained stringer I think you are using the most expensive strings since you have to re-string a lot more often than someone that is trained properly. IMHO>

i disagree, although a crappy string job can be the cause of broken strings at times, i know people who have their racquets strung at tennis clubs (good quality) and break, further more i string my own racquets and i dont break stings, and i dont rip strings either while stringing, and i ususally string high, my highest so far 70lbs,
maybe you had this happen to you and or have seen some really bad ones in the past, i have as well right before i got my stringer when i got my racquets done at DcksSportingGoods;
i think their is a deeper combination of elements that need to be present to be breaking as often as these other guys clame, hitting partner, smaller racquet head sizes, tension, playing style are my guesses.

PimpMyGame
08-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I thought I hit the ball hard until I watched some handy teenagers/low twenty-somethings at a local tourney...that made me realise why I don't break strings very often lol.

I did play an older guy this year with very very red strings. He had a forehand with huge topspin but didn't hit the ball any harder than me, for example. When I was talking to him later, he said he used to get thru strings within the hour until he started stringing with this red stuff - he said it was called "red core". Anyone here use it, or know of it? It's probably slowly destroying his arm.

rod_b
08-31-2007, 09:57 AM
...he said it was called "red core"...

Technifibre Red Code maybe?

Basically, if you hit with spin and hit with a partner that also imparts lots of spin, you're gonna go thru string faster than if you hit flat and/or hit with people who hit flat. It's no mystery, if your strings move alot, they're gonna break. Playing with my buddy who's an ex-collegiate player causes my strings to move a lot. Playing casual doubles at my club with 3.0-ish players causes far less stress to my strings. Now multiply that with the frequency that you play tennis and you have your answer...a scientific formula for string breakage. :p

racquet_jedi
02-12-2008, 09:09 PM
If you haven't figured it out by now, you should be proud that you don't break strings as often...

String breaking you usually occurs when people that hit really hard hit off-center (somewhere around the upper hoop of the racquet) on their racquet with stiff strings (tight tension, polys, copolys)

All this means is that you probably hit the ball on center each time...:wink:

J011yroger
02-12-2008, 09:58 PM
If you haven't figured it out by now, you should be proud that you don't break strings as often...

String breaking you usually occurs when people that hit really hard hit off-center (somewhere around the upper hoop of the racquet) on their racquet with stiff strings (tight tension, polys, copolys)

Off center indeed.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2r3fae8.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/v8mq1t.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/2qvw20k.jpg

J

Leelord337
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
^^^u'd better cut those strings out quick. If left in it can warp your racket.

t0nym4c
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I have problems with breaking strings also, but i hit relatively flat so that may be the case.

Leelord337
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
^^^u might want to go to a tighter string pattern like an 18/20 instead of a 16/19

Noveson
02-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Haha no, that's definitely not what it means. Just because you don't break them doesn't mean breaking means your bad. I play with Red Code and it breaks a little up of center every single time. If you aren't breaking strings, you are not hitting that hard. Course breaking the strings should be the least of your worries, worry about your game, strings just cost money.

Noveson
02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I thought I hit the ball hard until I watched some handy teenagers/low twenty-somethings at a local tourney...that made me realise why I don't break strings very often lol.

I did play an older guy this year with very very red strings. He had a forehand with huge topspin but didn't hit the ball any harder than me, for example. When I was talking to him later, he said he used to get thru strings within the hour until he started stringing with this red stuff - he said it was called "red core". Anyone here use it, or know of it? It's probably slowly destroying his arm.

It's called red code, and it's a poly. All polys are much more durable than any other string. Most pros use poly.

DY3K1D
02-12-2008, 10:22 PM
noveson did u switch back from the x1/redcode mix to full red code?

fastdunn
02-12-2008, 10:51 PM
one of the main reasons for string breakage is "sawing" effect.

1. open string pattern - more sawing.

2. top spin hitter - more sawing, flat hitter break less.

3. tension and gauge - try 18 gauge over 65 lbs.

3. simply playing time - do you think the other guy play just as much as you play?

4. dirty courts - the guy often plays at the court hardly managed. or loved to play right after rain on dirty courts and so on... ha ha ha.

Leoboomanu
02-13-2008, 12:55 AM
I got 18x19 string pattern ( FXP instinct).
I used to use ALU Power to 62, and had to cut it out after 1 month, I ussally have to cut it after about 6 hours, but I still used to play with it because of the cost.

I got myself 1.20 Poylyfibre cobra, and 1.25 Blue Gear. Gonna try Big Ace later on. :grin:

I'm getting the feeling you're making fun of the boards...:confused:

Were you the one who started the 'what's the harshest string' thread?

NO OFFENSE, but, most here would agree these threads could only be started by someone from planet UR-****...:oops:

Gotcha!:twisted:

Pusher
02-13-2008, 03:39 AM
I don't know any players that reguarly break strings that aren't good players. Most players that don't break strings are not advanced players-With exceptions for those guys that hit with flatter strokes-usually older guys.

Guys using poly that breaks after 10-15 hours are probably not advanced players and would be better served with a syngut or multi. Just my observations.

nickb
02-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Guys using poly that breaks after 10-15 hours are probably not advanced players and would be better served with a syngut or multi. Just my observations.

Thats not really true...I know top juniors (top 20 in UK), ex pro's and 6.0 + players that leave polys in their rackets for at least a month...they dont care about string..they just turn up and play.

Nick

Pusher
02-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Thats not really true...I know top juniors (top 20 in UK), ex pro's and 6.0 + players that leave polys in their rackets for at least a month...they dont care about string..they just turn up and play.

Nick

Nick, if that is what you see then it must be true-same with me. Again, I don't see players breaking strings that aren't good players just as I don't see mediocre players breaking strings.

I don't know any 6.0 players so I have no opinion on them.

J011yroger
02-13-2008, 04:20 AM
^^^u'd better cut those strings out quick. If left in it can warp your racket.

^^^u might want to go to a tighter string pattern like an 18/20 instead of a 16/19

I'm doin ok, thanks.

J

vwfye
02-13-2008, 08:56 AM
i find this thread to be interesting. i used to break rackets before strings in college. but, that was a design flaw in the racket we played (matchmate graphite). they would almost always break on a hard overhead.

anyway, i coach high school kids that are amazed that my strings usually pop on a wednesday and late on friday. they can't understand that in a typical practice session that i hit 3-4 times as many balls to them than they do to me.

we all use the same string and i have students that hit the ball harder than i do, but a student to student rally usually lasts 5 shots or less. we did some statistical work as a group last year and in one set, my #1 and #2 hit more balls than every other player on the team in a 3 set match. so, if you aren't breaking strings, you may just be hitting fewer shots than others around you.
if i play a total serve/volley match my strings last much longer than if i stay back and hit with a western grip. so look at your playing style, swing type and how many shots your rallies are. you might find that you have a flat swing, are at the net more than others and that your rallies are quite short.

Hooooon
02-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Nick

i disagree.... and agree with pusher. all 7-8 good junior players i hit with break 3+ strings per week and so do most open players i know. in college i broke strings more frequently, and believe young bodies tend to be more resilient and swing harder at groundstrokes. playing on grass would increase durability, otherwise 95%+ top 14+yos and 6.0+s break 1+ poly/week or 3+ syngut/multis.

nickb
02-13-2008, 10:52 AM
i disagree.... and agree with pusher. all 7-8 good junior players i hit with break 3+ strings per week and so do most open players i know. in college i broke strings more frequently, and believe young bodies tend to be more resilient and swing harder at groundstrokes. playing on grass would increase durability, otherwise 95%+ top 14+yos and 6.0+s break 1+ poly/week or 3+ syngut/multis.

You can disagree all you want...these players im talking about have played nationals, futures and even wimbledon. They hit with a massive amount of spin but 16g poly in a dense pattern still lasts a long time. Not ALL high level players break loads of strings...I think you will find many 5.0+ players leaving strings like luxilon in their frames for long periods of time..

saram
02-13-2008, 10:55 AM
People also need to look at where in the stringbed the strings are breaking. Dead on in the middle or off center in the outer and upper portion closer to the hoop than the center.

Usually, the only time I break a string is returning a big serve from a big hitter and I hit the ball outside of dead-center and nearly a shanked mis-hit.

Not sure why that is, but it is....

Hooooon
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
You can disagree all you want...these players im talking about have played nationals, futures and even wimbledon. They hit with a massive amount of spin but 16g poly in a dense pattern still lasts a long time. Not ALL high level players break loads of strings...I think you will find many 5.0+ players leaving strings like luxilon in their frames for long periods of time..

i'd take my kids over yours, prob over the british national team

nickb
02-13-2008, 11:22 AM
i'd take my kids over yours, prob over the british national team

LOL...whatever you say :roll:

jmverdugo
02-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Not really ...
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/jmverdugo/CIMG2532.jpg

kfactor/all/the/WAY!
02-13-2008, 07:06 PM
i hate it when i get locks on my strings, when there is an indent on the strings from rubbing. it annoys me and then i get really mental and start blaming my strings, and i start freaking out because my strings are about to break

bobbyb
02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
hah ya dude u should probably chill out a bit and just go switch racquets and restring the one thats about to break later taht day

Seacoast Stringer
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I have seen some very good juniors and Open level players using poly's in dense patterns for up to about a months worth of play. After the initial tension loss they keep them on for several tourney's and either cut them out or they finally break. Depends on their playing style. Some other big hitters go through poly's every day or two! As with everything else, there are no absolutes with this question.