PDA

View Full Version : Not getting top spin with a SW grip...

Kingofthecourt67
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I have attempted for a long time to get top spin with a SW(which is supposed to get good amounts of top spin) grip but I have been unsuccessful. Most my balls are relatively flat and its frustrating. Can someone be kind enough to review some key points so I can see if I am missing something big.

Another question of mine is what angle is recommended for your wrist at the point of contact.

Thanks in advance.

Vision84
08-24-2007, 04:50 AM
Ae your balls even landing in the court?

Here is a little checklist for you.

1. Do a circular loop of a backswing and drop the racket below the ball at the bottom of the loop.
2. Ensure you go up and out as you swing through getting a brush on the ball.
3. Not essential but dropping the racket below the wrist on the backswing will help you get under the ball and especially be key on the low balls.
4. If your shots are going in the net then you are probably brushing over the top of the ball so make sure you go outwards more and come through the bottom of the ball and not the middle or you will tend to go over the top.
5. A windshield wiper finish should help. This means you role you wrist so your follow through is by your opposite arm and not over your shoulder.

Hope that helps.

raiden031
08-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Your swing has to go from low to high. I don't know how many people typically in the 2.5-3.0 range who swing the racquet parallel to the ground with no vertical change. Its ugly and produces a pretty flat ball.

smoothtennis
08-24-2007, 08:39 AM
I have attempted for a long time to get top spin with a SW(which is supposed to get good amounts of top spin) grip but I have been unsuccessful. Most my balls are relatively flat and its frustrating. Can someone be kind enough to review some key points so I can see if I am missing something big.

Another question of mine is what angle is recommended for your wrist at the point of contact.

Thanks in advance.

I know this is a pain...but put up a quick vid on youtube however you can...this can be fixed pretty quickly and easily if you will simply show us what you are doing right now.

The problem with a checklist, is that you may not actually be doing what you THINK you are doing. We are all this way.

TennisFrkJC92
08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
This comment might be the same as other people.

Make your swingstyle more loopy, not parrallel to the ground. Brush up more on the ball.

Kingofthecourt67
08-24-2007, 11:45 AM
Most of my shots do go in but they're lacking topspin and I dont swing parallel to the ground either lol. Thanks a lot for the help and I'll definetely use some the of the pointers you guys gave me. I'll work on getting me videotaped while I practice as well.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
rotate your wrist

lordmanji
08-26-2007, 08:27 PM
might be your racket. the racket im using is 18x20. gotta really exaggerate the down to up to get decent topspin.

Slazenger
08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
rotate your wrist

Pls don't tell people to rotate their wrists to produce topspin.

galatti
08-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Pls don't tell people to rotate their wrists to produce topspin.

Why not? That's what my couch says me to to: rotate the wrist! :confused:

Pr0DiGy
08-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Oh, that explains it. Spend some money, ditch your couch, and get a decent coach. ;)

galatti
08-28-2007, 06:17 AM
Oh, that explains it. Spend some money, ditch your couch, and get a decent coach. ;)

I wish I could but thatīs not an option. So, when I should and when I should NOT twist my wrist?

ProStaff Legend
08-28-2007, 11:15 AM
try coming over the ball abit as well as brushing up

Topaz
08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Why not? That's what my couch says me to to: rotate the wrist! :confused:

Will your coach be covering your doctor's bills when you start having wrist problems?

It is probably just a matter of how you're communicating though...when you say rotate the wrist, what is that you are doing, exactly, with your wrist?

Oxford
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Just burn these images in your head and do this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xNPaZj4yn00&mode=related&search=

I am just now getting TS to work for me. I found that if I bend my knees a little and get my hand below the ball, it works well. I also bring my racquet back where the butt of the grip is facing the right fence (right handed) and the racquet is thus parralled to the net... behind me. This allows me to WHHIPP into the ball more with hip-shoulder-arm-leg uncoil. Somehow the extra speed of the whip seems to help. Also hit THROUGH the ball (hit three balls in a line concept)

If you watch the ball and come UP on it, the TS will start to show up. Get a ball machine and verbally tell yourself to do all of this. Sure, you will get jacked up putting all these elements together but eventually your brain will figure out what you are trying to do.

Come back the next day and you will be amazed what a nights sleep on it will do. ;)

I also signed up at hi-techtennis.com and that has helped my game alot. Lotta good stuff there.

One question; If you are using a SW grip and hitting flat -- are you hitting the net alot?

Good luck with all this

OX

krprunitennis2
08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
maybe you're hitting the ball with an open racket face? I've seen people try to hit topspin shots but they come out flat because their racket faces are open.