PDA

View Full Version : This is going to cost me

carac
08-24-2007, 03:27 AM
For quite some time I had small problems with my arm and yesterday I have finally decided that (no matter how overpriced it was) now is the right moment in my life to test a natural gut hybrid ...
I play with Head Flexpoint Prestige MidPlus (18x20 stringbed) and until recently I was a huge fan of Luxilon strings - my favorite is still Supersense but recently I was HUGELY impressed by the control with Alu Power Rough ... and also shocked by the harshness of that string, which is a big part of my current arm problems :(
To cut the story short - I decided to go with the 'Federer style' gut hybrid - with the natural gut on the mains (for best feel and comfort) and with a poly in the crosses to cut a little from the power and still be able to get some control on very heavy hits - the main difference is that the poly that I have chosen for the crosses is NOT Alu Power Rough but instead something A LOT softer - Kirschbaum Competition 17L (1.20) - and for the mains one of the least expensive alternatives - BDE Rally Natural Gut 16 (overall cost for two half-sets about 18 US$).
My initial thought for the tension was something like 27.5 kgs (60pounds) for gut and 25 kgs (55 punds) for Competition but I was a little afraid - since a recent post from Supracool94 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=151135) mentioned that Babolat V.S. Gut 16 on the mains @ 58 pounds and Luxilon Big Banger ALU Rough 16 on the crosses @ 52.2 pounds on a Mid Prestige was very bad for him - and in the end I only went 26.5 (58.6) with 24.5 (54) - but a small note - my stringer is VERY consistent but it might be possible that his setup might create a small (but steady) error on the minus side, so the actual tension from a much better stringing machine would be like 26 with 24.
Anyway - all what I can say is WOW, I'm hooked :)
The result is really soft on the arm and the feel and precision is VERY good, the sweet spot is now a lot bigger and the vibrations are zero (with my 'rubber between strings' home-made dampener) - however I will use the other half of the sets at the tension that I initially wanted (on the current setup the power with Dunlop Championship Brilliance (unfortunately used in all senior contests around here) is quite very high for somebody coming from Luxilon and most of my decisive shots that were a few centimeters in are now out, sometimes even 20 cm or more). So far (2 hours) the strings to not move (I guess that the gut is actually moving but then sliding back on the slippery poly, but that might change); the gut only micro-frayed in two points.
The only major questions remaining are tension stability (that I expect to be good) and overall durability - and if I can get 8-10 hours of singles play (or over 16 in doubles) that type of hybrid will become my 'official competition string' - I don't play very often in competitions, so the extra cost will not be a huge problem, but it might become one if I will start playing with it all the time :) (small note - I play like 99% of the time on clay, so the numbers above might be waaay to optimistic from me).
Another way in which it might cost me could be the fact that while I am a very 'frugal' player and I was always happy with only two same-model racquets, now I might need to get at least one more (or even two more) - when I go for a weekend competition I'll probably need two gut hybrids but if the weather turns out to be wet I will also need something else ...
I will also test Klip Legend and Armour as the gut component and Plasma Pure for the poly, but I will also keep an eye for a very similar hybrid for wet times - maybe Biphase with something ?

diredesire
08-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Are you a big time string breaker? If not, you may be very impressed with gut. If you are worried about the price, keep the job longer by using some string savers. They CAN extend the string job's life a very impressive amount! (40-50%? [it really depends on the player]).

Since you're stringing it up in a prestige, the dense string pattern is going to help a lot with durability. If you're not crazy on the string breaking, i would be surprised if it DIDN'T last 8 hours. Even though the crosses are going to bite/saw the mains, it won't be as pronounced an effect since the pattern is much more dense than say a 16x19 pattern.

PBODY99
08-24-2007, 08:51 AM
I have a senior male player who gets over 30 hours out of his Pacific gut\poly k 6.1 95< 16 x 19> setup. For wet weather any multi that you were happy with with the same poly for the crosses should work.
Oh, he has me string the crosses 5% higher than the mains.

carac
08-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I have a senior male player who gets over 30 hours out of his Pacific gut\poly k 6.1 95< 16 x 19> setup. For wet weather any multi that you were happy with with the same poly for the crosses should work.
Oh, he has me string the crosses 5% higher than the mains.

With poly in the mains it makes 100% sense - but poly in the crosses 5% higher than natural gut in mains ???

Supracool94
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
I wondered what would it have felt like, if I had used a softer poly instead of Lux BB Alu Rough when I tried Fed's Blend. Is Kirsh Pro line II or Babolat Pro Hurricane softer than Lux BB ALU Rough?

dave333
08-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Pro Hurricane is definitel softer.

wxr
08-24-2007, 10:46 AM
recently i've tried babolat attraction power 1.25 at 26kg mains with pro hurricane 1.20 crosses at 25kg, and i was amazed,.. very good playability, my best performance of the season happened, without a doubt!!
only downside was that it only lasted me 2,5 sets, after this combo i decided to try the real thing, gut mains 25kg with Alu power crosses at 24 all in a wilson nsix one 95 16 x 18..
i liked it a lot, but not as much as the attraction power hurricane blend, it just had a different feel.. the gut mains with alu power hybrid lasted me 6 to 7 sets before breaking.

if i wouldnt mind stringing after every match the first hybrid would be my favourite choice,.. now the competion season is over for me, i'm back on pro hurricane 1.20 mains 24kg with klip legend 17 crosses at 26kg, so it lasts longer, also very sweet

so.. a good multi x poly can be very nice, but for me the durability goes down.

carac
08-24-2007, 12:23 PM
I wondered what would it have felt like, if I had used a softer poly instead of Lux BB Alu Rough when I tried Fed's Blend. Is Kirsh Pro line II or Babolat Pro Hurricane softer than Lux BB ALU Rough?

Generally speaking at the same gauge there are VERY few poly strings that are harder than ALU Rough ... maybe kevlar ... and steel wire :)

carac
08-24-2007, 12:37 PM
recently i've tried babolat attraction power 1.25 at 26kg mains with pro hurricane 1.20 crosses at 25kg, and i was amazed,.. very good playability, my best performance of the season happened, without a doubt!!
only downside was that it only lasted me 2,5 sets, after this combo i decided to try the real thing, gut mains 25kg with Alu power crosses at 24 all in a wilson nsix one 95 16 x 18..
i liked it a lot, but not as much as the attraction power hurricane blend, it just had a different feel.. the gut mains with alu power hybrid lasted me 6 to 7 sets before breaking.

I believe that best results in hybrids (at least for non-pro players that play longer than 9 games with a new raquet) is when you have the two half-sets somehow less than 'total extremes' - hurricane 1.20 is seriously softer than ALU power 1.25 and gut is a lot softer than attraction so your second hybrid was quite extreme - to get to a similar point you might have needed to raise gut to at least 27 kgs - and at that point the difference to 24 kgs in the crosses might have been quite high (and in many frames probably prone to vibrations or more) ... (and the fact that Federer is using it is not very relevant for 'normal' frames - his raquet is quite heavy and he is swinging with such a long and quick move that the result is very different).

Steve Huff
08-26-2007, 09:43 PM
1st, if you have arm problems, I'd give up on the poly's all together. But, if you think you have to have a poly for the control, I'd go with Nat. Gut in the mains at 60# (if that's the tension you like) and SPPP in the crosses at 54-55#. SPPP is one of the few poly's I've tried that my arm tolerated for awhile. I'm back to Klip Legend in the mains, Head Fibergel Power or Alpha Prodigy in the crosses.

carac
08-27-2007, 06:01 AM
1st, if you have arm problems, I'd give up on the poly's all together. But, if you think you have to have a poly for the control, I'd go with Nat. Gut in the mains at 60# (if that's the tension you like) and SPPP in the crosses at 54-55#. SPPP is one of the few poly's I've tried that my arm tolerated for awhile. I'm back to Klip Legend in the mains, Head Fibergel Power or Alpha Prodigy in the crosses.

The poly in the hybrid is a must so far - just that I am now forced for the 'softer' versions :)

Since the original post I have also tested plasma pure 1.18 (full, around 25.5/24.5 kgs) and I liked it a lot, so a friend of mine will soon bring a reel of that and a few other goodies from TW :) including some Klip gut that seems to be in great demand since they seem to be out of stock - and it will become my main poly (even if I still have to test the new CyberPower, some of MSV and a few others).

I have played with the natural gut hybrid for another 2 hours and I am still impressed but I MUST test with the gut at a much higher tension - while I still have a sore arm I have never served better - and I mean incredible angles that you normally only see on TV - but so far I could not make a really short drop-volley with it :(

pennc94
08-28-2007, 06:42 AM
The result is really soft on the arm and the feel and precision is VERY good, the sweet spot is now a lot bigger and the vibrations are zero (with my 'rubber between strings' home-made dampener)

Please describe (or provide pics of) this home-made dampener

carac
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Please describe (or provide pics of) this home-made dampener

4 small disks (10-12 mm in diameter, 2-3 mm thickness) of soft rubber (natural or similar) installed on the crossing of the 4 central mains with the first (lowest) cross string - it might not be OK for pro competitions (but according to the same rule string savers might be in the same category). VERY hard to install but very effective.