PDA

View Full Version : Who here plays american football?

blitzmage_89
08-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Just wondering , I know american football is the most popular sport in the US and I was wondering how amateurs without a gigantic field play it. In the US, kids would play baseball and basketball on vacant lots right? How about american football where do you play it?

I'm in a congested city of Taipei and I just recieved an wilson football as a gift , the problem is , where to play it? :confused:

raiden031
08-24-2007, 04:36 AM
I live in the US and used to play football competitively on my high school team. I will tell you that 99% of football players do not play the real game outside of their high school or college team. What you do is take a field like a backyard or park and you mark things like trees as the end zones. And basically try to get at least 2 people on each side and if you have an odd number of players, sometimes have a designated quarterback. Then you mostly do passing plays, usually two-hand touch means your're down. If you're stupid (like me) you play tackle and end up getting surgery as a result of breaking a bone (like me). So thats how most football occurs outside of organized competition.

Dedans Penthouse
08-24-2007, 04:58 AM
I'm in a congested city of Taipei and I just recieved an wilson football as a gift , the problem is , where to play it? :confused:"Hey Louie, do a "down-and-out" behind that rickshaw. :-)

Raiden031 is spot-on. You don't have to field a full 11-man squad nor do you need a full-size field to play on. You can play two-on-two in the street (just watch for oncomming cars). Even if you only have one other person, there's nothing wrong with playing "catch" as it will hone both your throwing and your receiving skills. Enjoy!

Eviscerator
08-24-2007, 06:18 AM
As raider said, most amateur football play is just passing plays, flag football or touch. As to the space needed, many people play at parks, under electrical power lines with open spaces, or at local schools that have fields. If there are no schools with fields where you live for say soccer, then you could even play in a parking lot or some other open area. If you and some friends really get into playing then you might want to start playing on a full size field, but for now a smaller version can do just fine.

Silent
08-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Like others have said, just find a park with which you can work it, find two quarterbacks and the rest are receivers. Instead of having an offensive line, the rusher has to count steamboats before crossing the line of scrimmage to sack the QB.

You could play 1-hand touch, 2-hand touch or even double touch where the defensive players have to touch the ball carrier with both hands, twice. The latter is more interesting because good athletes can show their talents more.

Phil
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Just wondering , I know american football is the most popular sport in the US and I was wondering how amateurs without a gigantic field play it. In the US, kids would play baseball and basketball on vacant lots right? How about american football where do you play it?

I'm in a congested city of Taipei and I just recieved an wilson football as a gift , the problem is , where to play it? :confused:

Use your head. Any space will do. We played in the street sometimes, when an empty field or park was not available.

LuckyR
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM

I believe NASCAR is the most popular sport in attendance and football must be in the bottom quarter in participation. Maybe it gets the most ad money on TV? I don't know.

Noone I know personally, plays the game (I don't know anyone in HS).

xtremerunnerars
08-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah, define most popular please. I hate it when people claim something is the most popular without actually supporting it.

Moose Malloy
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Maybe it gets the most ad money on TV? I don't know.

are you serious? do you live in the US?

there's this little event called the 'super bowl' that is the most watched tv program of the year, in which it costs millions of dollars for a few minutes of ad time.

NFL generates more ratings, revenue, than any other sport in the US. Monday Night Football is one of the highest rated shows on tv, not just compared to other sports, but other dramas/comedies etc on during primetime.

Ratings are the most important way to judge a sport's popularity, not participation or attendance, & nothing comes close to the NFL. Networks pay a ton for the rights to the NFL.

Participation is the least important way to judge a sports' popularity. Look at baseball, does anyone play it? or boxing? or basketball(past a certain age, its wise to give this up)

Tennis & golf are really the only participation based sports for those not in high school or college, since you don't need a team to play them. and you can't get seriously hurt playing them, so they naturally appeal to older people, who can afford to invest a lot into them.

richw76
08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
In georgia there are soem Very competitive flag football leagues, with some former college and pro players. I haven't played since pop warner when I was 10-12 when I started playign more soccer and tennis.

There's also some semi pro, and a bunch of guys in my office throw a nerf around the cubes every couple days until we break something and stop.

LuckyR
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
are you serious? do you live in the US?

there's this little event called the 'super bowl' that is the most watched tv program of the year, in which it costs millions of dollars for a few minutes of ad time.

NFL generates more ratings, revenue, than any other sport in the US. Monday Night Football is one of the highest rated shows on tv, not just compared to other sports, but other dramas/comedies etc on during primetime.

Ratings are the most important way to judge a sport's popularity, not participation or attendance, & nothing comes close to the NFL. Networks pay a ton for the rights to the NFL.

Participation is the least important way to judge a sports' popularity. Look at baseball, does anyone play it? or boxing? or basketball(past a certain age, its wise to give this up)

Tennis & golf are really the only participation based sports for those not in high school or college, since you don't need a team to play them. and you can't get seriously hurt playing them, so they naturally appeal to older people, who can afford to invest a lot into them.

The OP asked about playing football since he got one as a present, Einstein. He was referencing "how amateurs without a gigantic field play it", which pretty much leaves out the NFL.

BTW, your comment: "Participation is the least important way to judge a sports' popularity" is pretty telling. My guess is this Forum is going to be populated with a lot more folks who personally perform than a bunch of lame, hero-worshippers on the couch watching...