PDA

View Full Version : How to get that OLD dead string feel??

Mike Danger
08-24-2007, 11:05 AM
with out waiting 20 years?
Every once in a while I pick up an old racquet, with original strings, and it feels great, I cant miss a shot! but ofcourse I pop the string, have it restrung, and it just doesnt feel the same, has more power, and less dwell time.

SO im wondering what string, and what tensions to get that same feel?

Gmedlo
08-24-2007, 11:19 AM
String it then sit on the stringbed for an hour, then put the racquet in an oven for 10 minutes to simulate aging, then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Seriously though, it sounds like you just like lower tensions. String lower.

rasajadad
08-24-2007, 11:22 AM
String with Gamma "Old Dead" 16 g. at about 48 lbs. ;-)

Bad Dog
08-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Seriously though, it sounds like you just like lower tensions. String lower.

Yes, string at significantly lower tension great for natural gut-like ball pocketing, and great for your elbow.

Just a few years ago, poly was not around. So older strings in older racquets were probably either natural gut (even more popular then), or syn gut. But what's almost as important as low strings is the fact that racquet frames designed in the 1990s and earlier often had more flex, and much greater feel.

TheShaun
08-24-2007, 11:42 AM
String with Gamma "Old Dead" 16 g. at about 48 lbs. ;-)

lol......i've been laughing for five minutes now. thanks, rasajadad.

gjoc
08-24-2007, 11:42 AM
lol :lol: rasajadad.

To the, OP, just restring at a lower tension--that’s obviously what you prefer, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Find a racquet you like, and, before you break the strings, take it to your stringer and ask him to measure the dynamic tension of it.

Then, ask him to give you the same stringbed stiffness with your new strings when you get it restrung.

Mike Danger
08-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Well thats kind of ironic becuase I usually string at high tensions, 60-64. I feel like at lowe tensions I gain power and loose control.

vinnier6
08-24-2007, 12:49 PM
sppp 16l strung at 56lbs...thats what i am using right now and its got a pretty dead/controlled feel to it...i love it...

Pr0DiGy
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Go even lower. I don't know if it's been proven wrong, but I believe theres a curve to the power you get from tension. The trampoline effect, where the ball hits the strings, the strings push back, and spring back, can give power. At higher tensions, the ball can't push the strings as far back, so the trampoline effect is reduced. However, at the very low end of the tension range, the string is loose enough that it does not spring back. The ball hits the strings, pushes the strings back, but the strings are loose enough so that the strings can't launch the ball. This should result in a long dwell time and good control.

Ljubicic for number1
08-24-2007, 07:20 PM
There is a big difference between dead strings and loose strings, you can not replicate dead strings by stringing at low tension.

Ljubicic for number1
08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
You could try giving the new string a heavy pre stretch and then stinging at low tension.

Mike Danger
08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
well didnt mcenroe play with realy low tensions?
what if I had it strung low, then seriously stretched them by say putting the racquet on somethng round, like a bucket or such, and put a heavy weight in the middle of the strings, or possibly even standing on it?

Ljubicic for number1
08-24-2007, 09:01 PM
You want to be doing the stretching before the frame is strung, "you would be stretching the string to deaden it and get rid of its livelyness by breaking its resilence not by making it loose. Do this pre stretching and then string to the desired tension to get the right result.

kirbster123
08-24-2007, 09:28 PM
ALU pre-strectched at 75 pounds.

Gmedlo
08-24-2007, 11:02 PM
You could try giving the new string a heavy pre stretch and then stinging at low tension.

Yeah, take a scrap of your favorite string and see what the highest tension you can get on it is. Then pre-stretch 10% under that or so. Strings will feel like they've lost all liveliness, unless it's gut.

rasajadad
08-25-2007, 05:38 AM
well didnt mcenroe play with realy low tensions?
what if I had it strung low, then seriously stretched them by say putting the racquet on somethng round, like a bucket or such, and put a heavy weight in the middle of the strings, or possibly even standing on it?

I don't remember his exact numbers, but you're correct. he played low 40's as I recall.

iplaybetter
08-25-2007, 06:38 AM
high prestrech maybe