PDA

View Full Version : Ideal contact point on racquet face for each stroke?

Dennis Anyone?
08-24-2007, 11:45 AM
On flat serves, I make contact high on the stringbed. Makes sense, as I'm aiming for full extension and get the most bang for the buck at the end of the racquet-as-lever.

On volleys, I also use the upper half of the racquet, as I feel it gives the most control.

On groundstrokes, my racquet's sweetspot is low in the stringbed. Nevertheless, I tend to strike the ball slightly higher. Thus, I should probably raise the sweetspot using lead tape.

Are there optimal places on the racquet face for contact that vary from stroke to stroke?

cj011
08-24-2007, 05:27 PM
it doesn't matter. If you hit through the ball, you can play with a twenty year old racquet that has been restrung in a decade.

stirallyracer
08-26-2007, 12:44 PM
to me, the ideal contact point is always in the sweet spot, regardless of the stroke. sure you get more lever if you hit it higher during a serve, but your strings will flex less, giving you less pocketing, less of the "trampoline" effect, and therefore, much less power. hitting it high in the stringbed to gain more lever doesn't make up for the loss in power by missing the sweetspot. not to mention, it sends jarring vibrations down your arm on most rackets, and i even broke my strings once by hitting higher up on the stringbed.

AceofBase
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Everybody play different. But to me i like to sometime mess around stroke and contact point cause that's just me (to be the best, master the best). Sometime i hit at top tip of the racket with my groundstroke and like you say get more power (like you say as for your serve). Doesnt matter where the contact point is at as long as you can make it over the net the way you want it.

Dennis Anyone?
08-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the opinions, guys.