PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid?

Bundey
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure I understand the point of a hybrid. Is it to mantain durability while still having playability? Is it really that good?

volleyman
08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
The point of a hybrid depends on the hybrid in question.

Sometimes it's done to cut costs. A gut/syn gut hybrid plays close to full natural gut job, but costs significantly less. Same thing for a hybrid of a high-end multi and syn gut.

Sometimes it's done to modify the characteristics of a stringbed. Using a non-poly string as the cross for poly mains softens the harshness of the poly mains, and can also add feel. Crossing softer mains, such as multifilatments or gut, with poly will give a firmer feel and more control.

What sort of hybrid did you have in mind?

kirbster123
08-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Yes, usually a poly/syn gut hybrid is common. A hybrid is to get the best worlds of both strings. Its 80% playability from the mains and 20% from the crosses.

Example: Lux BB ALU feels excellent, great control and durability, but is too stiff. Thus, I hybrid the ALU with a softer string such as a syn gut or a multifilament to soften up the stringbed while still maintaining the good parts of the ALU.

Bundey
08-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Sometimes it's done to cut costs. A gut/syn gut hybrid plays close to full natural gut job, but costs significantly less. Same thing for a hybrid of a high-end multi and syn gut.

Sometimes it's done to modify the characteristics of a stringbed. Using a non-poly string as the cross for poly mains softens the harshness of the poly mains, and can also add feel. Crossing softer mains, such as multifilatments or gut, with poly will give a firmer feel and more control.

What sort of hybrid did you have in mind?

I was thinking PHT in the mains and Xcel, or gosen micro in the crosses.

tbini87
08-24-2007, 08:20 PM

sums it up very well. you get most of the playing characteristics from the main strings. if you buy good strings for the mains for $20 (a set) and the crosses cost $3 (a set) you can get two racquets with good playability for $23. but if you went with the $20 strings for two racquets it would cost $40! that is how you hybrid to cut costs. another reason from above has to do with polyester strings which are popular because of the durability and spin they give. but a full poly job can be very stiff, so getting the durability and spin from the mains and the softer feel of the crosses gives you the playability you want without the arm pain! hope that helped.

kirbster123
08-24-2007, 09:36 PM
PHT and gosen/xcel would be a great hybrid, personally, I would recomend Gosen, but if you really need the softer feel, xcel would be a better choice. Xcel also breaks much faster then Gosen.

Loco4Tennis
08-25-2007, 05:22 AM
question, i have been trying a semi-poly string recenttly, actually its the klippermate powerburst 16Lg-58lbs-mains and prokennex Syn-gut 16g-63lbs-crosses, hybrid gives me plenty of control and good/solid feel, but the power is not there anymore and is only precent when i generate it,
i am not a string breaker, and was wondering what would i expect from Generic Syn-Gut 17g-63lbs-mains and KlipperMate(semi-poly) 16L-58lbs-crosses??
is having semy-polys a good thing to have on the crosses? is their a benefit to this latter setup?
would having the semy-polys on the crosses help with the string movement somewhat of the mains?

tbini87
08-25-2007, 09:37 AM
question, i have been trying a semi-poly string recenttly, actually its the klippermate powerburst 16Lg-58lbs-mains and prokennex Syn-gut 16g-63lbs-crosses, hybrid gives me plenty of control and good/solid feel, but the power is not there anymore and is only precent when i generate it,
i am not a string breaker, and was wondering what would i expect from Generic Syn-Gut 17g-63lbs-mains and KlipperMate(semi-poly) 16L-58lbs-crosses??
is having semy-polys a good thing to have on the crosses? is their a benefit to this latter setup?
would having the semy-polys on the crosses help with the string movement somewhat of the mains?

you will lose durability because the mains are thin and not as durable as poly. you might get more power, but you are stringing it pretty high, and the poly crosses might deaden it a little bit. if you are not a string breaker and need more power you should find a powerful poly or not use poly at all. i do not think that the poly in the crosses will do much for mains moving, but if you string it tight then they probably won't move too much.

Bundey
08-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks, you guys are very knowlegable, you helped a lot.

Azzurri
08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I was thinking of a Multi cross (Prince multi or maybe Bi-Phase/NRG2) and Natural Gut main. Are there any benefits, is this a good mix? I have some TE and shoulder pain from using Poly and lead tape...needless to say both are gone.

volleyman
08-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Nat gut mains with a multi cross is very arm-friendly mix. It's also quite powerful.

Klip Lightning is a prepackaged gut/multi hybrid:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACKLIP-KLIGHT.html

It plays quite well.

I personally prefer using gut mains with OG Sheep Micro crosses. Compared to the Lightning, it's significantly cheaper, slightly firmer (while still being extremely comfortable) and somewhat less powerful (easier to control).

Azzurri
08-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I may use the Prince multi (cheaper) on the cross. How do I combat the power?

texastornado
08-27-2007, 08:25 AM
quick question,
when in the mains (in a hybrid), does the poly usually saw through the crosses or should the crosses cut through the mains? thanks

Loco4Tennis
08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
you will lose durability because the mains are thin and not as durable as poly. you might get more power, but you are stringing it pretty high, and the poly crosses might deaden it a little bit. if you are not a string breaker and need more power you should find a powerful poly or not use poly at all. i do not think that the poly in the crosses will do much for mains moving, but if you string it tight then they probably won't move too much.

thanks for the reply and you were correct, the string-bed felt like a board, really unconfortable to me, the mains moved very little if any,
i think i am just going to stick to synthetics and just play arround with the gauge and tension, polys are not for me at this time, only tried it because i got a free pack with my racquet stringer, good on the mains until they go dead though, it gives you lots of control.

Steve Huff
08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Slappano, I use a gut/multi hybrid in my own rackets. I use Klip Legend/Head Fibergel Power (or Alpha Prodigy). It has good feel, good power, and most importantly, is easy on the arm.

volleyman
08-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I may use the Prince multi (cheaper) on the cross. How do I combat the power?

The first thing to remember is that you might not need to combat the power. :-)

Second, if it turns out that you do need to tone down the power, upping the stringing tension by 2-3 pounds will produce a noticeable drop in power, without compromising the comfort.