PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd day @ the tennis clinic

Mystikal
08-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Today our teacher made us practice forehands and backhands. Forehands I really need to work on preparing early and finishing through. Now for our backhands, last week I decided to try a 2 hander, but I felt as though it wasn't comfortable and I didn't like hitting with it. So today I went with a 1 hander, but she was like "omg why" and I go to myself "I'll show you why". My turn for the backhand drill she hand to compliment me on it because it looked so good :D. She also told me that with drills I seem dead (lol its true I can't do stuff stationary) but she was impressed with my speed and said I come alive when playing.

So overall it was pretty fun, I enjoyed it and we practice serves next week (Which I really need to work on). Enough about my day now. So what drills can I do to practice my serve before the next clinic?

cj011
08-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I got this one from David Porter, the former president of the USPTA. Take a stack of old racquets and throw them out as far as you possibly can. I walked into his office in May saying I wanted a bigger serve and we needed to work on it everyday. He smiled, pointed at a stack and said throw those and I we will talk in August about your serve. Needless to say I was clocked at 117/115 miles an hour at the age of 16 and I was about 5'6" to 5'7" at best. Another was from Jerry Simmons, I can't remember his name. He use to be the men's head tennis coach at LSU during the 90's. There was a recruit from Hawaii that pretty much had a girly serve, Ryan Ideta. Well after one year the kid came back to Hawaii smacking his dam serve. I later went to LSU for a summer camp and has the coach, what in the hell did you do to Ryan's serve. He said, "we just through the softball during the week." Plus there strength and conditioning coach was out of his mind. That was the first time in my life I feared going to conditioning

Mystikal
08-24-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't have the luxury of a stack of old racquets, but would throwing tennis balls work?

cj011
08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Not heavy enough. Go get a smaller medicine ball and get a throwing partner. Pretty much stand about 15 yards apart and try to peg the hell out of each other.

See if you can track down a water polo team and ask there coach what does he do to get players to throw harder. You would be suprised how had those guys can throw.

Your best bet would be to look at photos of every great server and find characteristics. Also, look at the mechanics of old up 30 to 40 year old pictures. Those old *******s mechanics are beautiful. Pay attention to how there whole body works together.

burosky
08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I got this one from David Porter, the former president of the USPTA. Take a stack of old racquets and throw them out as far as you possibly can. I walked into his office in May saying I wanted a bigger serve and we needed to work on it everyday. He smiled, pointed at a stack and said throw those and I we will talk in August about your serve. Needless to say I was clocked at 117/115 miles an hour at the age of 16 and I was about 5'6" to 5'7" at best. Another was from Jerry Simmons, I can't remember his name. He use to be the men's head tennis coach at LSU during the 90's. There was a recruit from Hawaii that pretty much had a girly serve, Ryan Ideta. Well after one year the kid came back to Hawaii smacking his dam serve. I later went to LSU for a summer camp and has the coach, what in the hell did you do to Ryan's serve. He said, "we just through the softball during the week." Plus there strength and conditioning coach was out of his mind. That was the first time in my life I feared going to conditioning

Having the serve you are looking for involves first and foremost proper technique then strength. What you described simply involved strengthening exercises. You can also do the same when throwing footballs. With the strength you gain, you may be able to rip the felt off the ball but to be able to maximize your strength and be consistent with it, you need the proper technique. There are sites that show the proper technique. It also has been talked about on this forum so many times on different posts. It would be best though to just learn it from the clinic. To get the most of any tennis instruction, you are better off doing an individual lesson. This way you get the full attention of the pro.