PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe grunting really does bring better accuracy?

Brett
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
I have heard it been discussed before and I know for me it just seems like when I grunt on my shots, even when I feel like I don't have to, I seem to have better accuracy and my playing is much better. Is this just ludacris to assume that it actually works or what?

JW10S
08-24-2007, 04:45 PM
There is absolutely no correlation between shot accuracy and grunting.

TennisFrkJC92
08-24-2007, 05:02 PM
psychological? More shouting = More confidence?

TennisFrkJC92
08-24-2007, 05:03 PM
I know i grunt really loud every time i hit a winner.

Steady Eddy
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
I dunno. Does any other sport have grunting? Do any golfers grunt when they drive? Or putt? Do any basketball players grunt when they shoot free throws?

Dennis Anyone?
08-24-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't believe it has any direct relation to accuracy, but in my case, it is a good indicator of my effort. It's also a natural result of my exhalation, which some--not all--recommend during physical exertion, such as when throwing a punch in boxing or lifting a weight in bodybuilding.

Hot Sauce
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
I dunno. Does any other sport have grunting? Do any golfers grunt when they drive? Or putt? Do any basketball players grunt when they shoot free throws?

Well the basketball comparison isn't fair. Basketball players grunt sometimes when they're dunking, driving in traffic, or fouled. A free throw is more comparable to a volley.

kidwithshirt
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Today during tennis practice, two of my teammates decided hitting balls werent fun, so they started practicing their grunts.

Miraculously they did pretty well (grunting and hitting)

CanadianChic
08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Grunting has no effect on your accuracy although it just may have one on your opponents. IMO.

thefan
08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I dont think theres a correlation b/t grunting and accuracy but grunting and power output...maybe

JW10S
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't believe it has any direct relation to accuracy, but in my case, it is a good indicator of my effort. It's also a natural result of my exhalation, which some--not all--recommend during physical exertion, such as when throwing a punch in boxing or lifting a weight in bodybuilding.Grunting and exhaling are different things. Put your hand in front of your mouth and yell, scream or grunt as loud as you can and notice how much air you feel on your hand--not very much. Now, without vocalizing, exhale or blow out of your mouth--big difference, huh? Grunting is an affectation--nothing more. An affectation which unfortunatley for some becomes a habit. As stated earlier golfers don't grunt. Tiger Woods swings just as hard or harder than a tennis player when he tees off. So does Barry Bonds when he's hitting HR's into the bay in SF. Neither of them grunt. The idea that making an audible sound with your mouth is what determines whether or not your shot goes in is an absurd one.

ShcMad
08-24-2007, 07:36 PM
I usually don't make any sounds while hitting groundstrokes. But, when I'm attempting to hit kick serves, I find myself "grunting" a tiny little bit. It's totally non-voluntary. I think it's more like an exhale but with a little bit of sound. Anybody else does this besides me?

patrick922
08-24-2007, 07:44 PM
grunting/exhaling improves timing and concentration.... and might lead to accuracy.

i read somewhere, probably tennis magazine, that letting out air when you hit improves concentration.... and they made an analogy with martial arts and they grunt everytime they strike and what not.

Zets147
08-24-2007, 07:47 PM
I think grunting after points may be detrimental to your game. In my case, the grunts went, "WHAT THE @&^# WAS THAT? YOU F@^*ING SUCK"

Dennis Anyone?
08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Grunting and exhaling are different things. Put your hand in front of your mouth and yell, scream or grunt as loud as you can and notice how much air you feel on your hand--not very much. Now, without vocalizing, exhale or blow out of your mouth--big difference, huh? Grunting is an affectation--nothing more. An affectation which unfortunatley for some becomes a habit. As stated earlier golfers don't grunt. Tiger Woods swings just as hard or harder than a tennis player when he tees off. So does Barry Bonds when he's hitting HR's into the bay in SF. Neither of them grunt. The idea that making an audible sound with your mouth is what determines whether or not your shot goes in is an absurd one.

Grunting and exhaling are two different things--as are exhaling and blowing out of the mouth--but they can often occur together, as the product of the same strenuous activity. The word affectation suggests that grunting is unnatural and only pretense. I'm sure it can be. But anyone who makes love would hope this is not always the case. And karate masters breaking boards and bricks with their "kiai" might disagree. As I've stated, my vocalizations are neither purposeful nor intentional. If they were for show, they'd certainly be much louder than they are.

I agree that making a sound with your mouth itself won't make a ball go in the court. But if that sound is an indicator of a greater amount of effort, the ball going in the court may be a happy by-product.

mrHan
08-24-2007, 08:01 PM
I usually don't grunt but the other day I found myself grunting as I was pushing myself really hard on the court.

Thepowerofchoice
08-24-2007, 08:17 PM
I dont think theres a correlation b/t grunting and accuracy but grunting and power output...maybe

I agree and the reason is when you grunt you are contracting your abdominal muscle a little deeper and the abdominal muscle is the big part of your core muscles. The core are the: spinal flexors, spinal erectors, spinal stabilizers, spinal rotators, spinal lateral flexors, hip flexors, hip extensors, hip adductors, and hip abductors...almost every muscle but arms and legs. Put your hand on your stomach and grunt and you can feel your abdominal muscle working. As some of us might already know that your core muscles are the big part of your power generater so it does make sense that grunting helps generate power output...but then again you can also activate your abdominal and your core without grunting.

LuckyR
08-24-2007, 09:44 PM
The point is to not hold your breath while hitting the ball. Exhalation is the goal. Many coaches tell their players to make grunting noise so they (the coach) can verify audibly that the player is not holding their breath, but there is no advantage of grunting loudly vs exhaling silently.

lethalfang
08-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Well the basketball comparison isn't fair. Basketball players grunt sometimes when they're dunking, driving in traffic, or fouled. A free throw is more comparable to a volley.

When playing basketball, sometimes I grunt when I drive thru traffic and expect contact.

Trinity TC
08-25-2007, 01:06 PM
A lot of Major League baseball pitchers grunt. They say that it helps their timing and that it helps keep their motion consistent through the drive phase just before they release the ball.

luckyfool
08-25-2007, 01:20 PM
I grunt like Venus Williams when I feel tired.

Shosho
08-25-2007, 03:50 PM
I think it just gives it more zing!

ChocolatePie
08-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Normally, you're supposed to exhale when you hit the ball. You should pay close attention next time and see if you're doing it. Grunting is just a way of exhaling.

mlwgszgao
08-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Haha, I've got this placebo effect on the grunt. Normally I don't grunt and hit decent consistency, but when I grunt, I don't miss for a much longer rally and my pace and spin improve. However, I played once to test the grunt and I wasn't really trying at all, but I still played better when I grunted than when I don't grunt (when I try). It's an odd little psychological issue probably that is subconscious. Then again, maybe grunting does help.

BravoRed691
08-28-2007, 08:57 PM
I believe in grunting, but not shrieking and/or screaming... think K. Clijsters and M. Hingis vs. Serena and Maria...

BR