PDA

View Full Version : Topspin One handed backhand

rbowser
08-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, it's what the title says. Out of all my friends, I'm the only one with a decent one-handed [others are not so good, or have a 2handed] backhand. I can hit pretty well on my backhand side, and my friends constantly say that's the only good part of my strokes. :sad:
-Anyways, I always hit flat, or it's off center and it gets some sidespin. I know how to hit a topspin one handed backhand, it's just not pacey-enough. Watching pros practice, you see them constantly hit deep one handers that land in and are relatively fast paced. Is it because they use their opponent's pace to hit a topspin backhand back with pace? I hit with people my age, most of em aren't strong/big enough to produce a large amount of power constantly. I know it takes practice, and that I will do.
I'm trying to:
-brush up more
-have the windshield wiper follow through

If you read other posts, I also have problems with my backhand when someone gives me a mid court floater. I usually hit is with topspin and it goes in down the line, or I hit an outright flat winner cross court [mid court as to my backhand side]...problem is..my topspin backhand has no pace..=[

cj011
08-24-2007, 06:02 PM
When you say more pace, do you want it to kick up more aggresively to give it more kick or do you want it to go faster because each will require a different approach

rbowser
08-24-2007, 06:06 PM
will, i can put spin on it, like i brush up immensley, and it goes in :p it's good for an approach shot, but sometimes it's too slow that my betterthanme friends hit nice passing shots, or not enough for an easy volley. AND I NEED MORE TOPSPIN on the baseline, but that's easy for me to fix, so basically, more pace on topspin shots.

cj011
08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I have needed to do this for a long time now. I will snap a few pictures over the weekend about the one hand backhand. I can explain it, but it does a crappy job. As a fore warning, yes I know I choke up on my backhand, it's one of those goofy things that just works for me. I do not coach that one. lol

In D Zone
08-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, it's what the title says. Out of all my friends, I'm the only one with a decent one-handed [others are not so good, or have a 2handed] backhand. I can hit pretty well on my backhand side, and my friends constantly say that's the only good part of my strokes. :sad:
-Anyways, I always hit flat, or it's off center and it gets some sidespin. I know how to hit a topspin one handed backhand, it's just not pacey-enough. Watching pros practice, you see them constantly hit deep one handers that land in and are relatively fast paced. Is it because they use their opponent's pace to hit a topspin backhand back with pace? I hit with people my age, most of em aren't strong/big enough to produce a large amount of power constantly. I know it takes practice, and that I will do.
I'm trying to:
-brush up more
-have the windshield wiper follow through

If you read other posts, I also have problems with my backhand when someone gives me a mid court floater. I usually hit is with topspin and it goes in down the line, or I hit an outright flat winner cross court [mid court as to my backhand side]...problem is..my topspin backhand has no pace..=[

It's all in the set up - grip, stance and footwork

These 2 video will explain it all..... I encourage you to bookmark it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yX37c7_svqs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hyjVnG6CAGI

Don't worry about the topspin and dept - it will all come.

Trust me on this one... I followed this technique and pretty much followed it to the tee (especially the footwork). My 1hbh improved dramatically in 1 month - I had a partner who is higher rated than me and also played with 1bh. We practice hitting 1 bh for over half an hour each time we play, 3 times a week.

Good luck!

N4n45h1
08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
thanks for the video, it really showed me how i needed to bend my knees on the lower shots

Adam
08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
In D Zone, maybe you could help me with this. How high should a topspin 1HBH clear the net by? Today I was having a practice match and I was hitting what I thought were good backhands with lots of pace and spin but were only just clearing the net. My coach said to hit it much higher over the net even though the shots were causing my opponent trouble.

AceofBase
08-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Just think as you are kicking the ball from down to up with a conitential grip if you are right handed!

stormholloway
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't know about having a windshield wiper motion for this stroke. Doesn't that imply that it goes in the same path as a windshield wiper--i.e. the shape of a rainbow, i.e. low, high, then back down low?

The 1HBH finish will always be high, and a windshield wiper ends low. If you want more spin just come under and brush up more. It's always about the ratio of drive to rise.

In D Zone
08-29-2007, 08:29 PM
In D Zone, maybe you could help me with this. How high should a topspin 1HBH clear the net by? Today I was having a practice match and I was hitting what I thought were good backhands with lots of pace and spin but were only just clearing the net. My coach said to hit it much higher over the net even though the shots were causing my opponent trouble.

You can hit a bh topspin that can go high and long all the way to the baseline. Yes, hitting a long penetrating bh topspin is great offensive weapon especially against 2 bh players (most of the 2 bh don't know how to slice).

Preparation is the key: I immediately turn my right foot towards my left (right handed) while simultaneously switch my grip to eastern backhand or at times I would switch to the extreme eastern backhand grip. Then quickly bringing your racquet down and up to brush the ball. You must be still or keep you head quiet - focusing on the ball and let swing of your bh do its job. Most common mistake is to turn your head as u are making ball contact - you will mis-hit or loose control of the bh if you turn sooner.

Avoid using the windshileld washer movement (aka Open stance Backhand) if you want to hit the ball long and with spin. I've use only as a defensive move or if you are on the run - timing is everything. Reminder you can hurt your arm because you are relaying on your arm to brush through the ball - you must lift the racquet from low to high extremely aggressively upward with your weight on your backhand side.

Second point - footwork, noticed the instructor used the crossover foot work aka 'Carioca Step'. I had trouble before moving forward when I want to hit the ball early or when I need to attack using an approach shot on the backhand side. The cross over foot is a key for helping you get to the ball quicker (even moving side to side) and will provide more solid base for your 1bh.

Here is the third clip that talked about cross over movement -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=s6JWu_KmJtc&mode=user&search

Third point: Control / direction of the ball. I use my shoulder to direct where the ball is going. I can hit it down the line by keep my shoulder in a close stance and hitting cross by swing my shoulder wider to an open stance.

Don't forget to practice playing 1bh strokes on both sides of the court -Deuce and Ad.
Why?
- it is useful when you are playing doubles
- when opponent returns a serve back to your left side , you know where to direct the ball on the open court without moving to your forehand.
- gain more confidence hitting on the run on your backhand side and using bh punch as a defense.