PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

steve d
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
During a recent high school girls doubles match the server hit a wild serve with a strong wind behind her. The receiver was so surprised she did not have time to get out of the way so she caught the ball to avoid being hit.

The serving team claimed the point, on the basis that the receivers touched it before it went out. I understand that this would be the correct call on any other shot, but does it also apply to the serve?

The receivers felt that because the ball never touched the service box that it was a fault. In their mind the point had not officially started because the serve did not go in the box.

I didn't see anything in the Rule Book that applied to this particular situation, but I admit I only did a cursory look. I was hoping someone here had had this situation come up in the past.

I understand why the rule applies in every other instance. But it seems weird that you should get a point for hitting the server. I would never have thought of trying to hit the receiver to get a free point.

Any thoughts or referrals to the rule that applies in this case?

psp2
08-24-2007, 08:22 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=152005

Your situation was recently discussed.

A receiver (or the receiver's partner) catching/hitting/getting hit by a serve PRIOR to the ball landing (unless the serve hits the netcord, first) loses the point.

steve d
08-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks. I missed that post.

Loco4Tennis
08-25-2007, 06:01 AM
good catch by the way :-)

WildVolley
08-25-2007, 08:40 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=152005

Your situation was recently discussed.

A receiver (or the receiver's partner) catching/hitting/getting hit by a serve PRIOR to the ball landing (unless the serve hits the netcord, first) loses the point.

Yep. That's why it pays not to be asleep when returning serves. If the pros can step out of the way of 140 mph serve, a high school student should be able to step out of the way of the serve.