PDA

View Full Version : Whose point is it?

Midlife crisis
08-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to the rule in question. What happened today was that I had a short ball hit to my side of the court. I barely got to it and slashed at it, catching the ball high up on the stringbed with a lot of backspin. It crossed over the net, bounced on my opponent's side of the court, and then bounced back over towards me, but I couldn't get out of the way and the ball hit me before bouncing a second time (it would have bounced on my side of the net the second time). I did not touch the net and my opponent (my son) was no where near and so did not hit the ball after it had bounced on his side of the court.

Who wins this point? It seems like my opponent should win the point, or otherwise there is the possibility of deliberately touching the ball (and thus ending the point) prior to my opponent having an opportunity to reach over the net and hit the ball, but this also doesn't seem to make sense either since my opponent did not return my legal shot.

psp2
08-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Your opponent, your son, won the point. You lost the point the moment the ball touched you.

Until the moment the ball hit you, the ball was still in play. Although your son was nowhere near the ball, he still HAD the opportunity to make a play.

LuckyR
08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
While a correct rule interpretation, it falls into the category of catching an out ball on the fly while standing well behind the baseline. That is, it is technically the other guy's point, but since there is no way in h3ll the ball is going to fly back around and land in the court, most would not demand the point. As a matter of fact between extremely competitive but friendly players, they do it all the time.

However, you know you son better than we do.

mucat
08-24-2007, 10:11 PM
You basically contact an "in play" ball not with your racket which it is against the rule. It does not matter your opponent can get to it or not. It is similiar to you hitting an unreachable dropshot but you touch the net in the process. It is your opponent's point.

BigboyDan
08-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Wrong interpretations so far. Read Rule 26:

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_23858_original.PDF

koopa_troopa
08-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Wrong interpretations so far. Read Rule 26:

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_23858_original.PDF

Are you referring to hindrance? Because I don't think it applies. The poster did not hinder the opponent from playing the point, he ended the point by touching the ball with his body. I could be wrong since I have never seen this specific situation happen.

Midlife crisis
08-24-2007, 11:55 PM
This is exactly why I'm confused about this situation. I made a legal shot that fell in, then subsequently it hit me without my further influence and without a deliberate hindering act. After the bounce, if it had hit anything else that was a permanent fixture, I would have won the point. If it had hit my son, I would have won the point. However, it hits me and I >>lose<< the point?

I've actually had this situation almost happen at least one other time that I can remember, and once during a tournament match, so I'd really like to know what the correct rule interpretation is. Thanks for all of your help.

mucat
08-25-2007, 04:59 PM
The ball is still in play, someone touch the ball with his/her body, that player lost. For example, if you smash a shot into your double's partner (ouch!) (even if it will go in and win the point if your partner is not there), your side lost the point.

tennis-n-sc
08-26-2007, 05:32 AM
The ball is still in play, someone touch the ball with his/her body, that player lost. For example, if you smash a shot into your double's partner (ouch!) (even if it will go in and win the point if your partner is not there), your side lost the point.

Correct. Sorry Midlife. The kid gets the point.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 07:13 AM
I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to the rule in question. What happened today was that I had a short ball hit to my side of the court. I barely got to it and slashed at it, catching the ball high up on the stringbed with a lot of backspin. It crossed over the net, bounced on my opponent's side of the court, and then bounced back over towards me, but I couldn't get out of the way and the ball hit me before bouncing a second time (it would have bounced on my side of the net the second time). I did not touch the net and my opponent (my son) was no where near and so did not hit the ball after it had bounced on his side of the court.

Who wins this point? It seems like my opponent should win the point, or otherwise there is the possibility of deliberately touching the ball (and thus ending the point) prior to my opponent having an opportunity to reach over the net and hit the ball, but this also doesn't seem to make sense either since my opponent did not return my legal shot.You lose the point.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Rule 26. HINDRANCE -- If a player is hindered in playing the point by a deliberate act of the opponent(s), the player shall win the point. However, the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by either an unintentional act of the opponent(s), or something outside the player’s own control (not including a permanent fixture).

mucat
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
It is NOT a hinderance. Touching a live ball is not a hinderance, lose the point immediately.

koopa_troopa
08-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Rule 26. HINDRANCE -- If a player is hindered in playing the point by a deliberate act of the opponent(s), the player shall win the point. However, the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by either an unintentional act of the opponent(s), or something outside the player’s own control (not including a permanent fixture).

BigboyDan, can you explain why you think it is hindrance rather than just quoting the rulebook? Everyone else here has disagreed with you, so if you can explain more, we might understand your point of view.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 05:49 PM
"However, the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by either an unintentional act of the opponent(s)..."

The ball was unintentionally touched prior to the second bounce preventing a play. Replay the point.

Mr. Rellik
08-26-2007, 05:54 PM
My brother playing with a open string pattern racket with prince topspin strings could bounce dropshots back over on his side of the net. Like the others have said, you get the point when it bounces back onto your side. You touched it before it bounced twice so you lose the point.

EricW
08-26-2007, 06:03 PM
So if you hit a backspin dropshot, and it hits your opponents side of the court, bounces back to your side, and the for the hell of it you hit it out of the air while it was going back to your side, as a dropshot on their side, and they didn't touch it, it's you're point?

Micky
08-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I have read somewhere that you can't hit a ball if it is in the other player's court. If the ball contacted you on your side of the court you still win the point according to me.

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 06:23 PM
So if you hit a backspin dropshot, and it hits your opponents side of the court, bounces back to your side, and the for the hell of it you hit it out of the air while it was going back to your side, as a dropshot on their side, and they didn't touch it, it's you're point?

No, you intentionally hit the ball prior to the second bounce, double hit, you lose the point.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 07:53 PM
I have read somewhere that you can't hit a ball if it is in the other player's court. If the ball contacted you on your side of the court you still win the point according to me.

What? If the ball bounces on your opponent's court, he can reach as far over the net as he has to in order to hit the ball as long as he never touches the net.

mucat
08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
From BigboyDan's link:

24. PLAYER LOSES POINT

i. The ball in play touches the player or anything that the player is wearing or carrying, except the racket;

BigboyDan
08-26-2007, 09:31 PM

ProStaff Legend
08-26-2007, 09:48 PM
it would be ur opponents point becuase u touched the ball before it bounced twice. on a ball that bounces on ur opponents side and goes back due to spin/the wind, ur opponent is allowed to reach across the net to hit the ball (not sure if theyre allowed to touch teh net in that situation,i'll check the rules if u want). techinically speakin, a ball that goes back over isnt an auto-win so u would be touchin the ball while it was still in play. i am very sure about this

koopa_troopa
08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
"However, the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by either an unintentional act of the opponent(s)..."

The ball was unintentionally touched prior to the second bounce preventing a play. Replay the point.

So how does that override rule 24? Somehow you have to justify touching the ball with the body as a form of hindrance, and I don't think this rule is suggesting that in any way.