PDA

View Full Version : Zets' Reaction Setup -- Melody of The Perfect Backhand Slice

Zets147
08-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Zets147, I see you're using Reaction 17 on your K90s. I think the TW demo I tried had Reaction 16 probably at mid-tension.
How do the two gauges compared in the K90?
Also, have you tried both gauges in the n90?

Enjoy~

I have tried the 16, 17 in the N90
& tried the 17,18 in the K90

Sorry to say, but I tried the Reaction 16g (on N90) way back in March '06 and I did not have a stringing log back then. I forgot how it played.

Ever since I started using Reaction 17 though, it was basically a great feel. The ball hits cleanly and you can feel the spin. Also, it is not springy and mushy feeling like the Technifibre NRG 17. I don't know why, but it just bites well especially with my BH Slice (one of my favorite shots).

I tried out other multis such as Technifibre NRG 17, Yonex Pro Spin 850, Gamma TNT2, Iso Speed Control, Tecnifibre E-Matrix (do not ever get this btw). Basically, Reaction 17 had already set the bar high and these other strings couldn't match it.

I tried all of these strings out (on the K90), and they were lacking that "feel," the feel of the spin on the ball I should say. Also I couldn't hit a slice with tremendous spin with these strings for some reason. I was only able to do it with the Reaction 17 I think. So I thought, "hmm wtf mate"

I was undecided between Yonex Pro Spin 850 and Reaction 17 at one point, but after the Yonex 850 broke, I got it strung with Reaction 17 and my first slice I hit with it was a perfect one. I mean, perfect. So after that I decided to stay with Reaction 17. Other strokes were pretty even, but Reaction still felt better on the serves than the other strings. Groundstrokes.. I have to say the Iso Speed Control was great in this department.

Also, I tried the Reaction 18g once since the price is less than the other versions. Reaction 18 broke pretty fast and it didn't pocket the ball that well like the 17g. I tried to salvage it with stringsavers, but that made it even worse in terms of playability.

Every time I put string savers on these strings (Reaction), I play like crap. So lesson learned and hopefully you guys don't make the same mistake.

Other multi's I think you guys should try are the

Yonex Pro Spin 850 & Iso Speed Control

These were the "runner ups" in my multi-experiment :)
If you are not obsessed with your bh slice like me, then I think these strings may be worth a try. After trying so many strings (there are more), I was tired of the hit -and- miss crap so I decided to stay with Reaction 17.

Also, I have my slave (stringer) string at 55, but with the Jay Cee Method.

I don't know the exact procedures, but the mains should be at 61 (outside 2 mains @63 I THINK, I'm not sure), crosses at 57, top 2 and bottom 2 crosses @ 59 I THINK).

I have him do 2 pieces string job.

After you string up the mains and tie off the knots, massage the mains with your thumb by pressing down on the strings one by one to the center (repeat 3 times). Continue stringing the crosses regularly with the specific tensions.

And there you have it! "Zets' Reaction Setup that will give you that perfect backhand slice" :grin:

And yes, if you were wondering.. I have strung it at many tensions. (without the Jay Cee method also). The lowest I strung was 47 and the highest was 62.

Try this setup if you like multifilaments in your N90/K90. It's worth a try, just do it. now.

If you don't know who JayCee is, he is on stringforum.net. Just do a username search and read his posts (he has credentials hehe).

Also, I have tried many many hybrids with the N90 and once on the K90.
Hybrids that were on the N90 were ( Many Poly/ Syn Gut, A Few Nat Gut/ Poly).
I tried one hybrid on the K90 (Lux Alu/ Gosen Micro) It didn't feel very good on the arm especially. (I got weak arms I guess :-( ).

Hope this helped out your quest for the (Holy Grail) Wine?

I got mine... for now...

rocky b
08-25-2007, 03:48 AM
How easy on the arm is reaction. I used Kgut pro and my arm hurt but like you my slice backhand is a key shot. With k gut I was hitting winners with my slice it was so nasty but no arm pain in my number 1 priority.

Bad Dog
08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Zets147 – Thanks for your review and interesting observations.

How easy on the arm is reaction. I used Kgut pro and my arm hurt but like you my slice backhand is a key shot. With k gut I was hitting winners with my slice it was so nasty but no arm pain in my number 1 priority.

Rocky_b – Like you, my number 1 priority is avoiding arm pain. :) So it's unfortunate to hear about your arm pain from K-Gut Pro – a string which Tennis Warehouse actually lists as arm-friendly. :) As a result of your insight, I’m going to be even more careful about making sure my racquets get strung at low/mid tension – to remain arm-friendly.

Wilson K-Gut Pro
Tennis Warehouse lists K-Gut Pro as arm-friendly – and I agree, particularly at low/mid tension. As you probably experienced K-Gut Pro can create great feel, touch, bite and massive spin (especially with an open pattern), which is great for control.

Because it is a firm string, my sense is that it should not be prestretched. It also seems like just about any arm-friendly strings, possibly even natural gut, can contribute to arm pain for many people – IF strung at relatively high tension. It's interesting that these days, even Federer and so many of the world's best pros prefer string at low/mid tension.

Wilson Reaction
I had a hitting session with Wilson Reaction in a friend’s K90. It produced quite decent results, as Zets described. But because Tennis Warehouse does not list Reaction as arm-friendly, I reluctantly had to pass.

Iso Speed Control
Note that the Iso Speed Control string, which Zets147 tested, is listed by Tennis Warehouse as arm-friendly. Here is the link:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catthumbs.html?CREF=163

Zets147
08-25-2007, 12:25 PM
I, personally, have not tried the K-Gut Pro. Everytime I hit with poly or poly hybrids, I feel a slight "tweak" near my elbow area. So after all the poly testing and such, I gave it up and went for multifilaments. Almost all of them, but one (Gamma TNT2) were arm-friendly. (For me at least). Reaction 17 are softer strings and if strung in the low to mid tension range, it shouldn't give you any problems, but all of us are different in terms of comfortability so the only solution is to test it for yourself.

Also, try to get your racquet strung with the Jay Cee Method (if you string your own racquet at least haha. If not, your stringer may give you a hard time if you are too picky lol), but it makes a different. A good one that is.

I'd really recommend the low to mid tension for the Reaction. It didn't feel as good when I strung it at a higher tension.

nickb
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
Reaction feels good but it lasted me 50 mins...

Zets147
08-25-2007, 12:31 PM
you're too pro for reaction.

I'm just a measly hacker, a wanna-be 5.0 who gets 7-8 hours with reaction lol

nickb
08-25-2007, 12:32 PM
you're too pro for reaction.

I'm just a measly hacker, a wanna-be 5.0 who gets 7-8 hours with reaction lol

Good for you...I wish I could get 7 hours with a multi!....I use poly but dont even like it.

Zets147
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
oh yea? which one are you using and why don't you like it?

rocky b
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Bad Dog what do you think of K gut pro with real gut in the crosses how much softer do you think it would be. I use the Yonex 880 with no pain but the spin is weak. I am now going to try the technifibre 515 17 with the yonex 880 as my cross.

nickb
08-25-2007, 12:37 PM
oh yea? which one are you using and why don't you like it?

I love the feel of multis and syn gut but they last a couple of hours tops...I use SPPP mains just for the durability nothing else....a hybrid of SPPP mains and 16g syn gut crosses will last 2 days hitting if im very lucky.

Zets147
08-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Ah, what a dilemma. are you just going to keep that setup or have you given up on testing other strings/ hybrids?

nickb
08-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Ah, what a dilemma. are you just going to keep that setup or have you given up on testing other strings/ hybrids?

I try different strings all the time....had some Head fibergel that needed using but it broke after 30 mins hitting...felt really good as well....think big banger original mains and syn crosses could last longer so will be giving that a shot over the next week.

kirbster123
08-25-2007, 12:54 PM
nickb what ntrp are you? Have you tried gamma tnt fat core?

nickb
08-25-2007, 12:57 PM
nickb what ntrp are you? Have you tried gamma tnt fat core?

I am in UK but would be around a 5.0....I have not tried that string sorry.

Bad Dog
08-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Bad Dog what do you think of K gut pro with real gut in the crosses how much softer do you think it would be. I use the Yonex 880 with no pain but the spin is weak. I am now going to try the technifibre 515 17 with the yonex 880 as my cross.

Rocky_b –

It sounds like you’re on the right track to minimize arm pain. Here's my answer to your question, in five parts:

(1) You’ve mentioned some good arm-friendly multifilaments to hybridize with, including K-Gut Pro, Tecnifibre 515, Yonex 880, etc. – as well as the option of natural gut. All of these are good and soft, and you'll find many people on these boards have a specific preference for the different levels of feel, touch, power and spin potential of each. As you know, my favorite is natural gut, followed by the multifilament K Gut Pro which I found to be great in “all” of these categories (including spin) – but that's just my own personal preference. :)

(2) ***To protect against arm pain, I believe that even with soft multifilaments, it is still crucial to avoid stringing at high tension – but string at low/mid tension instead. Best for your arm, also great for ball “pocketing.”***

Also, since you mentioned that you might want to use natural gut:

(3) If you generally play multifilaments for 20 hours or more before breaking, then I'd suggest putting the natural gut in the mains (like Federer), rather than the crosses. Advantages: much better touch, feel, and all the other superlative qualities that natural gut is known for; also less expensive than full natural gut.

(4) In any case, many people agree that even a full stringbed of natural gut may last significantly longer than a full stringbed of multifilaments, or even a hybrid of natural gut and multifilaments – making the more expensive price of full natural gut sound almost reasonable.

(5) But if you find that multifilament strings break in significantly less than 20 hours, then you might consider putting natural gut in the crosses. Advantages: natural gut in the crosses should last a bit longer than in the mains.